SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is your melee weapon of choice?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your melee weapon of choice? Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I have a great fondness for the medieval Morning Star.

Posts: 11324 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
Either a tomahawk from Winkler or a good old fashion hickory nightstick. Both easy to wield, both can cause some serious damage.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
So would a USMC bayonet mounted to a Mossberg 590 with wooden furniture be allowed?

This has the M9 but you get the idea

Or an M44....used to keep one in my truck, nothing says "back the fuck off" like a bayonet.

In melee distance is your friend so stabby slashy is good, if I can't have the bayonet then my 1796 heavy calvary sabre would work.....it did for Richard Sharpe!

An ax is great but it has to light enough to strike and recover quickly, viking axes were quite light >2 lb.. Heavy axes were useful for dehorsing riders but slow in melee.

The one below is 28" ....

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1269 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.estwing.com/collections/axes-outdoor

Take your pick.
I have the long handle campers axe, sharp as hell, holds an edge well, 1 piece steel construction. It's not my 1st choice for a mele weapon, but if I had to... It would work just fine!

Sharpen up a drywall hammer for a backup.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
Double headed granfors axe please.

When we moved a while back I had inadvertently created a few
Walking dead go kits, by way of stretch wrapping, several, lite axes, baseball bats and
crowbars together for easy transport on the move truck.

They have remained together...Smile

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The bastard love child of an Ontario knife works spaxand a kukri. I have as spax and it would be quite handy as a zombie clearer, but believe it would be about unsurpassable at zombie chopping, door breaking, wall piercing, camp tooling, etc... If it were just a bit longer and sharp from that fun versatile head all the way back to a hilt guard.

If I ever get around to a forge and knife making, this is what will come off the anvil first.

Posts: 231 | Location: Reidville, SC | Registered: October 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
German longsword ala Lichtenauer or Fiori.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or two. Two of em and a wild assed highland berzerker glint in the eye.. Yea, that's the ticket

Posts: 231 | Location: Reidville, SC | Registered: October 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
One handed war axe and shield

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
This is a tough one though I prefer the katana with the tomahawk a close second.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3865 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Lots of people have mentioned the katana. If you look at the samurai, a common armament was a katana and one or both:
  • wakizashi - companion short sword. Used as a back-up to the katana, close quarters fighting (arc's scenario), and was better indoors since it was shorter
  • tanto - companion short sword better at stabbing than slashing. Less popular combo than the katana & wakizashi.

Arc's scenario doesn't prohibit the katana & wakizashi as he said:
    quote:
    Your choices are limited to current commercially available tools and weapons that are within your personal budget and actual ability to wield.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23262 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Its interesting to speculate on what would be most suitable, but what I actually have with me is a 3 cell Maglite (a 4 won't fit in the door pocket) and a Russian battle shovel that was featured in a thread here some time ago

Light bender eye mender

Posts: 412 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Cogito Ergo Sum
    posted Hide Post
    Roofing hatchet or drywall hammer.

Posts: 5696 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    There is a world elsewhere
    Picture of Echtermetzger
    posted Hide Post
    WW2 German E-tool, not the folding Klappspatte, but the old fashioned E-tool with solid wooden handle and sharpened. Even if you don't intend to hit with the sharpened side, you can hit them with the flat side up side the noggin.

"But the bayonet has practically lost its importance. It is usually the fashion now to charge with bombs and spades only. The sharpened spade is a more handy and many-sided weapon; not only can it be used for jabbing a man under the chin, but it is much better for striking with because of its greater weight; and if one hits between the neck and shoulder it easily cleaves as far down as the chest."
    -All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque

Once you're done being all melee oriented, you can bury the poor sods.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Little ray
    of sunshine
    Picture of jhe888
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by gearhounds:
    Damn Cold Steel people! I may have to add one of these to the collection. The price is definitely right and it will KEEL!

https://www.coldsteel.com/kopi...ete-with-sheath.html

Great on meat-filled boots.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Res ipsa loquitur
    Picture of BB61
    posted Hide Post
    I have one of their loaded cudgels. I think a cudgel and a fighting stick both would make a good combination.
    https://www.oldeshillelagh.com/fighting-sticks

Posts: 12466 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Escrimas, Boken, Kubotan, E-Tool.

Posts: 717 | Location: Keystone State  | Registered: November 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I’m in the smaller sized lighter weight aluminum bat camp. I love the idea of a blade of some sort but I think I’d be better off conking fools on the head.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    A pitch fork. It is my weapon of choice when the raccoons contest ownership of the area around the garbage can.

Posts: 206 | Registered: January 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post