SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Forum member dave7378 has been arrested in the Turks and Caicos islands. **All members, please read this**
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 34

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Forum member dave7378 has been arrested in the Turks and Caicos islands. **All members, please read this** Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Praying for a just outcome.

Posts: 23171 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Report This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
Who is the US ambassador to T&C? Perhaps their office should at least be made aware.

Hoping for the best outcome for Dave and his family!

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member of FPC, GOA, 2AF & Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2872 | Location: Tucson Sector | Registered: March 25, 2012Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Dave I couldn't possibly have anything to tell you, that you wouldn't have already thought of. Best of luck in this terrible situation.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21094 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
We're all here to support you. Like most I'm disappointed you'll need to let this proceed at their pace just to see if the common sense of a simple mistake plays out in your favor. No use in speculating beyond that.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2075 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been and worked in the Caymans over the years. Very similar legal systems.

Excellent local counsel you have. Follow their directions

At least not drugs. That is instantly book thrown at you

As difficult as it will be, Please be humble. That tends to go a long way with island officials

Prayers and good luck.

Posts: 186 | Location: The Lovely State of Illinois | Registered: November 24, 2008Report This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I wish the best for you Dave.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4291 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hoping for the best outcome.

PC

Posts: 1369 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Report This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Good Luck Dave

Posts: 11155 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Report This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
This is the incident I referred to in my first post. For this reason, among others, I feel as if Dave is going to be OK. Speaking to him on the phone, he sounds to be in good spirits and handling this far better than some others might.

And I'm sure his attorney will cite the case as precedent. Circumstances are a little different - that guy was of course fully aware of what he transported, but never intended to bring it into the TCI, though technically entering their waters was just that. But then the huge amount of contraband compared to just 44 rounds which were clearly introduced by accident since they shouldn't even have been allowed on the plane suggests that you can't very well give the first guy a slap on the wrist and lock the second up for twelve years.

The reasons stated in favor of the earlier defendant, good reputation and that the prohibited items were legally owned at home, also apply here. The mere fact that he is out on bail implies that the local system isn't anticipating to imprison him for a good part of his life, too, since a foreigner with that prospect would be a considerable flight risk. Again, from afar I'd say that causing any public drama would only be counter-productive. In fact people might want to cut down on proposals to just jump on a boat on an open forum.

Posts: 2452 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
I am impressed by your immediate admittance,and humbleness. I believe humility goes a long way, universally.

Praying for this situation, a lawyer of high caliber, and a Judge with mercy.

This could have been any of us, may this lesson not go unnoticed and be forgotten.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Report This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
This was clearly and obviously an accident of epic proportions. For the life of me I cannot see how TSA missed this in the scan at the boarding flight. Hoping for the best possible outcome.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15781 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Report This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
My brother Dave. I’m hoping this all turns out for good you and you’ve got my support should you need it.

Posts: 45529 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Report This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Praying for a just outcome.

This ^

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Report This Post
Sigs are
my Panacea...
Picture of billpocz
posted Hide Post
Dave,

While we have not had the pleasure of meeting in person, I want you to know that you are being lifted up in thought and prayer!

I hope this helps you not feel alone in this!!

Bill

--- Sig 365, 365XL, 245, P6

Posts: 2011 | Location: Rural Northeastern KY | Registered: May 07, 2009Report This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Not a lot to add today. Meeting with my attorney at 3:30. He cited that case in my bail hearing along with a few other relevant ones. I'm just unsure of how precedent works down here. My Congressman, Nick LoLota, called me himself yesterday to let me know that he is working on it. I hear from Chuck Schumer's office later today. I'm working the phones and trying to stay positive. My wife flew down for what was supposed to be a few days and now says she isn't leaving. So at least I have some good company. Other than that it is just a waiting game.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5935 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Report This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Hopefully the fact that it was ammo with no associated firearm, combined with apparent court precedent (no idea how that stacks up over there vs here) will be considered.

Also, Dave will hopefully be able to find numerous locals who will vouch for him being an upstanding guy and benefitting the local economy over several years. I would think that when the judgement comes, consideration of the character of the accused would be made.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6391 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Report This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
I hope this gets resolved favorably to your benefit soon. An honest mistake for sure. I hope there is a part of their local laws that will see it that way and just let you off with a warning and a fine. You will be in our prayers. Your friends here in the forum wish you all the best.

Posts: 1917 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Report This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
When I was dealing with this type nonsense in Korea my biggest negative feeling came from people who were close distancing themselves from me as though I had actually done something wrong, as though they’d be guilty by fictional association.

We won’t do that, we’re here on your side if that matters for anything. No caveats, no nothing, we’re here for you.

Otto

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6612 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Report This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Sure hope this works out in your favor and soon.

Posts: 12231 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
This could happen to any of us. I was stopped by the airport in SLC for a pistol magazine at the bottom of my carry on back pack. Had the TSA missed it and the authorities in the Bahamas caught it, I'd have been screwed. One member here advised I keep my travel bags completely separate from my range stuff. Sound advice. I'm sorry, Dave, for your troubles. Seems like you have the whole varsity team working on your behalf. We're praying for your well being and freedom.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29901 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post