SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Forum member dave7378 has been arrested in the Turks and Caicos islands. **All members, please read this**
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 34

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Forum member dave7378 has been arrested in the Turks and Caicos islands. **All members, please read this** Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Guys, we welcome your assistance, but not your fantasies. Bribery? Boat rides? Think before you post. This is not a game.

Posts: 109259 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I have nothing constructive to add other than my best wishes.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1543 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Report This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Whatever the outcome, might want to make this a permanent reminder of how serious certain places are regarding ANYTHING to do with firearms and for any folks traveling outside or even to places inside the country to be extra aware of what’s in their luggage, trunk or whatever.

I wish I could offer specific help regarding the OP but maybe this will help others.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7908 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
While brass is nothing to get alarmed about ...

Not to drift the thread, but that belief deserves a cautionary “Don’t bet on it” comment:
Empty cartridge cases by themselves are evidently defined as ammunition that’s illegal to possess (with certain exceptions) in our nation’s Capital. I recall a case some years ago in which someone got jacked up by the DC police based on a report from an ex-wife/SO, just for possessing “ammunition” illegally.

“DC ammunition laws are strict and carry significant criminal penalties if you do not have a license to carry.”
“The [Washington] DC Code defines Ammunition as cartridge cases shells or projectiles. The shells or casing have propellant powder, materials designed, or intended for use in a firearm or destructive device.”

https://rollinsandchan.com/pos...istrict-of-columbia/

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47751 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Ugh. I’m so Paranoid about that when I go to the airport. Please let us know when the money train for legal help needs to be fired up.

Only thoughts I have are once all rational avenues are exhausted is blow up all the forums. Tourism, sport fishing and of course gun forums. One, to get the legal money but also to lean on their congressman to lean on the embassy to put the word out that the tourist/fishing industry for Americans could dry up.

Also, At the right time, get the word out to the people in media who would care. Tucker, Shapiro, Bongino, crowder, Joe rogan Etc.

Posts: 4988 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Report This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's insane and a really easy mistake to make. I hope he gets unscathed and soon.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7166 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Report This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
While brass is nothing to get alarmed about, ...

It is in Massachusetts. I bought a 100 round linked belt of empty .308 to make a belt for my daughter when she was going to UMass Amherst. She explained to me that the empty cartridge case itself was a problem in Mass, without a proper permit.

Some places are just nuts, and logic need not apply.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12965 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Report This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
This is an excellent Forum and one that allows us to help fellow members.

Will follow this thread and stand ready to help as I can.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1443 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
This sucks on so many levels. Nobody deserves to be locked up for ammo.

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Report This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:
While brass is nothing to get alarmed about, ...

It is in Massachusetts. I bought a 100 round linked belt of empty .308 to make a belt for my daughter when she was going to UMass Amherst. She explained to me that the empty cartridge case itself was a problem in Mass, without a proper permit.

Some places are just nuts, and logic need not apply.

She is correct. Any ammunition or ammunition component requires a MA FID or LTC to posses it.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2436 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
While brass is nothing to get alarmed about ...

Not to drift the thread, but that belief deserves a cautionary “Don’t bet on it” comment:

Hence my following sentence, to have separate-dedicated bags for the range, separate from other firearm uses, so that no complications arise.

I'd like think that we're all aware enough to know, in the most onerous states, simply having components of firearms and ammunition is enough to raise alarms and even violate laws/statues.

Posts: 15109 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Separate bags for firearms and ammo in today's world is a must. Even though I follow that protocol before every air flight I take my backpack and empty it completely. Mistakes can happen.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

posted Hide Post
Very sad to hear. I hope it gets resolved soon in his favor.

Posts: 7105 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The best local counsel money can buy. They know the lay of the land, the judge, and how things work. Our man has done that. A “Free Dave” campaign on social media ain’t it. Perhaps if those involved were responsible for significant spending past and future but those folks don’t need to participate in a social media campaign as they already know who to call and lobby. A bunch of I won’t go there threats from a bunch of people who were never going to go there to begin with is nothing more than clown car trying to create a circus. It’s a shit situation but at least it’s in a place where the rule of law exists and not some third works banana republic. Good luck Dave. An honest mistake made by a good man doesn’t deserve prison.

Posts: 4340 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this has happened to you. Hope it will all be over soon and you can come back home.

Posts: 13167 | Registered: January 17, 2011Report This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
I hold an enduring belief, this will sort itself out. Here to help if otherwise.

Returning from an out of state range, I removed my jacket and was about to toss it in the overhead, I decided to check the pockets and found a half dozen rounds in my hand. The coat went through the x-ray machine with everything else. Lesson learned for me.

Posts: 3265 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Report This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I too join fellow members here wishing you a speedy successful resolution to this nightmare.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16551 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Report This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
I too join fellow members here wishing you a speedy successful resolution to this nightmare.

I too don't have any specific advice, but feel the same way.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11118 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is the incident I referred to in my first post. For this reason, among others, I feel as if Dave is going to be OK. Speaking to him on the phone, he sounds to be in good spirits and handling this far better than some others might.

The day he touches American soil, we'll throw a virtual party for him in the forum and we can all hoist a glass.

Posts: 109259 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I've prayed for you and will continue to do so.

Silent

Posts: 1055 | Registered: February 02, 2008Report This Post