SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Forum member dave7378 has been arrested in the Turks and Caicos islands. **All members, please read this**
Page 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 34

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Forum member dave7378 has been arrested in the Turks and Caicos islands. **All members, please read this** Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
The flight landed an hour and a half ago. Where's Dave?
Maybe he’s having trouble with the pod bay doors.

Hahaha nice reference

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11455 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
A definite answer to prayer.

Posts: 7054 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Report This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
I am so happy and relieved this saga has come to a positive conclusion. I think I have crossed T&C off my vacation wish list.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 996 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Report This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Home sweet home. Had no issue in customs but it took a long, long time for baggage to come through. Got in around 10 last night and played with my dogs, had a glass of wine and went to sleep. Such a strange feeling to wake up in my own bed. Spent this morning just trying to create a to do list of stuff I have missed, people I need to reach out to, scheduling at work, and of course handling some guns. Missed them too Wink Been a heck of a couple of months.

Btw, I often looked out on the water wondering when the submarine was coming. Cool

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5935 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Report This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
Between attorney, rent, food and transportation I am north of $100k. So when she stated the fine it seemed like nothing. At least I will be getting the $40k in bail back Wink

Thanks for posting this Dave- it is eye-opening and a reminder of justice in a foreign country.

I don't think it would have been a lot different in the U.S., except you would be able to live in your own house, of course, saving the room and board costs.

The amount of the fine is within reasonable expectations, given that country's choices about firearms. It is their country, and while we don't agree with the policy, it is their perogative. Imposing a fine, even if the act was the result of a genuine mistake encourages compliance by people in the future, and discourages bad actors from attempting to excuse genuine crimes by claiming "mistake."

I am very glad you are free, Dave. What a mess.

Yes, a mess made out of my carelessness. I thought the fine was beyond fair as was the Judge. My only problem was how long it took but my lawyer thought it was going to take longer. Very slow down there. Ultimately I am home so I am going to just try and appreciate that.

When I have more time in the next few days I am going to get into more detail of what happened, the conditions, the threats, the corruption, the people that helped me, the friends I made etc. I kind of have to go through the whole thing again in my head.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5935 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Report This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, a mess made out of my carelessness. I thought the fine was beyond fair as was the Judge. My only problem was how long it took but my lawyer thought it was going to take longer. Very slow down there. Ultimately I am home so I am going to just try and appreciate that.

When I have more time in the next few days I am going to get into more detail of what happened, the conditions, the threats, the corruption, the people that helped me, the friends I made etc. I kind of have to go through the whole thing again in my head.

My fiasco in Korea took 90 days, the system plus COVID slow downs at the time for what ended up being a 1000$ fine.

Pure silliness.

ETA: Glad you're home Dave.

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6616 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Report This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you're home safe and sound Dave.

I will be interested to hear "the rest of the story" when you have settled in.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4952 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Report This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Welcome home Dave…..you have quite the story now….good to see you made it back State side!

Posts: 3157 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Home sweet home.
Welcome home, Dave!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Welcome home Dave.

Posts: 6564 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Report This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
If you haven’t been keeping a log, consider writing it all down now while it’s still fresh in your mind.

Posts: 3005 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome home!!!

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana and Florida | Registered: February 22, 2010Report This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
originally posted by dave7378:

Humbled and penitent after your ordeal. Very admirable. Hope your life returns to some semblance to “normal” very quickly. I’m happy for you that it’s over.
T

Posts: 13556 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to hear from you, Dave.

I'm sure I speak for everyone who has participated in this thread that we are glad we could be a source of moral support and entertainment for you.

I've no doubt that all who have read this thread have imagined themselves in a situation such as yours and realize that to have a lifeline to a supportive group of people who, though outside one's circle of friends and family, would serve as a conduit to a community at large, to bolster one's spirit and stave off the inevitable boredom of purgatory.

Needless to say, you've now entered the annals- I SAID ANNALS- of SIGforum lore stretching back more than two decades.

Posts: 109006 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

When I have more time in the next few days I am going to get into more detail of what happened, the conditions, the threats, the corruption, the people that helped me, the friends I made etc.

Sounds like the makings of a good documentary or even better a mini-series. Razz

Welcome back!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: smschulz,

Posts: 23187 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dave7378:

When I have more time in the next few days I am going to get into more detail of what happened, the conditions, the threats, the corruption, the people that helped me, the friends I made etc.
[/QUE]OT

Sounds like the makings of a good documentary or even better a mini-series. Razz

Welcome back!

National Geographic has an entire series called Locked Up Abroad. Watch some of those, Dave got off easy compared to those people in legit 3rd world countries.

Posts: 4954 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Report This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
So glad to hear you're finally home. I hate to use the word stress because it's so overused but I can't imagine the mental stress you've been through. Imprisoned for a couple months even though you weren't "locked up" the entire time. Worrying about the what if had to be hell. Now it's mostly behind you and you can work on getting caught up and back to normal life.

Posts: 3541 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Report This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I'm so glad to see that you are back on US soil, and sleeping in your own bed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13984 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome home Dave!

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very happy to hear that you are home safe, Dave! That's a terrible thing to have to go through, but thankfully it ended with you home safe, and now you have a truly unique experience that you'll be able to tell stories about for the rest of your life. I hope you have some time to rest, reflect, and recover before having to jump back into day-to-day life!

Posts: 9179 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Report This Post