SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Forum member dave7378 has been arrested in the Turks and Caicos islands. **All members, please read this**
Page 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 34

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Forum member dave7378 has been arrested in the Turks and Caicos islands. **All members, please read this** Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
Between attorney, rent, food and transportation I am north of $100k. So when she stated the fine it seemed like nothing. At least I will be getting the $40k in bail back Wink

Thanks for posting this Dave- it is eye-opening and a reminder of justice in a foreign country.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17146 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Report This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
As attractive as foreign travel may be, you don't need to go far outside our borders to have threats to your freedom.

That's not limited to countries that are obvious enemies or considered dangerous.

Great to hear that some amount of sanity finally prevailed, even if it was at great cost.

So where are you planning your next vacation? Smile

Going to be sticking to CONUS for the near future.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5935 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Report This Post
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
But, it makes me wonder how many people per year get the same treatment.

There is another American here just starting is defense for the same thing. A young man from Michigan, last name Guzman. His pregnant girlfriend heard it could be unsafe here and urged him to bring his gun. He called and inquired about bringing his pistol, was told he was ok if he had a permit. They just didn't emphasize that it had to be a Turks permit. Declared pistol upon boarding a Delta flight and was arrested when he landed. I tried reaching out to him yesterday through his lawyer to see if he wanted to talk but haven't heard yet. I figured he might get some comfort from someone who just went through it. He has the same Judge as my case so he should be good but how long and and what cost? I can't help but feel sorry for this kid because I know exactly what he is about to experience.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5935 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome home, Dave!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16373 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Report This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes. The Judge started at $10k and reduced it to 6800 due to expediency and then to 5700 due to good character. That is not even close to the true cost of this mistake. Between attorney, rent, food and transportation I am north of $100k. So when she stated the fine it seemed like nothing. At least I will be getting the $40k in bail back Wink I'm surprisingly not that upset at the moment about the money. I am excited to be going home.

That's $2,273 a round baby, cheaper than the million dollar a round Lawrence Fishburn The Bowery King quoted John Wick...

have to agree it's incredulous that they held you up for that long without getting it resolved, hotels, meals, flights, seems like with the Attorney they should have been able to sit down and settle the fine out quickly.

So what's the first thing you want to do when you get home....

Posts: 24203 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Wow, so glad you are clear of that mess! Welcome home!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6731 | Registered: September 04, 2003Report This Post
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
So what's the first thing you want to do when you get home....

Hug and kiss my dogs.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's $2,273 a round baby, cheaper than the million dollar a round Lawrence Fishburn The Bowery King quoted John Wick...

I introduced my sister to John Wick while she was down here with us. We joked about that very thing last night Big Grin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Great news Dave glad you are back. I can’t fathom the ordeal you went through! 100k wow, I couldn’t take a hit like that I would be rotting in their jail for sure. Thoughts go to the other US citizen wondering if he will be able to take a hit like that?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4888 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Report This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Wow, the money part really does suck but I guess you can’t put a price on freedom and being back home. Welcome back!

Posts: 13826 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Report This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
That's great news Dave!! Welcome back when you arrive.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12662 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Report This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Dave, please let us know when you land on American soil once you have the opportunity. We'll all breathe a collective sigh of relief.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39212 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Wow, the money part really does suck but I guess you can’t put a price on freedom and being back home. Welcome back!

Yep. Welcome back!
Everyone reading this thread has learned a valuable lesson. You probably saved someone here as much as you spent. For that, thank you.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24569 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Welcome home Dave. Get some rest.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19697 | Registered: September 21, 2005Report This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
I introduced my sister to John Wick while she was down here with us. We joked about that very thing last night Big Grin
Glad you're through this ordeal and somehow maintained a sense of humor.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6358 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Great news, glad to hear you're outta there.

Posts: 15053 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Are you here yet?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31370 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
Glad you're through this ordeal and somehow maintained a sense of humor.
No choice. I could either laugh or cry and I chose laughter. It has gotten me through a lot of stress.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Made it through security with no issues. Flight boards at 2:58. Lands at 7:10 in JFK. I’m gonna get on my knees and kiss the ground, well probably not, that floor is nasty Big Grin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the success, Dave, after all that hassle. Sorry you had to go through it but glad you’re heading home a free man.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2159 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Report This Post