SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Career Limiting Move for the CO of the Roosevelt? (Navy Peeps will Understand)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Career Limiting Move for the CO of the Roosevelt? (Navy Peeps will Understand) Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Nah- He let his men down because he didn't do what he expects them to do= Use the chain of command.

It's a tough job. Few can shoulder the responsibility. People do die serving our country.

It's good we found out he wasn't suited for that responsibility now instead of when the shit hits the fan.

Just curious. I wonder how the Capt would have felt had his XO done the same thing to him?

If my experience in the U.S. Army is any guide: Decidedly... "annoyed." Ask me how I know Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Perhaps it’s fitting, that the aircraft carrier’s namesake, TR himself, was once entangled in a similar conundrum. In August, 1898, The eventual U.S. president drafted what is now known as the infamous Round-Robin Letter. It details the Malarial situation in Cuba.
The dire situation prompted senior officers to meet with Maj. Gen. William R. Shafter, commander of the Fifth Corps, to recommend that troops be withdrawn from Cuba posthaste. That result of that meeting — whether Shafter agreed or not — remains unknown. Perhaps fearing inaction on the side of Shafter, a copy of the letter also found its way to an Associated Press correspondent –– allegedly at the hands of Roosevelt — who cabled immediately to AP headquarters. The letter was published that same day on August 4. When the news broke stateside, President William McKinley was indignant, requesting that “every possible effort [be] made to ascertain the name of the person responsible for its publication.” McKinley was close to concluding peace negotiations with Spain and sought to maintain a military presence in Cuba until that end was achieved. He was cognizant, however, that public sentiment would turn against him if he kept the troops in Cuba. To counteract the effect of the Round-Robin Letter, the men of the Fifth Corps were hastily recalled to Long Island, New York. Strange how history often repeats itself...

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ranger41
posted Hide Post
Possibly this has already been mentioned, but any information regarding the operational readiness of a Navy unit is classified. This would particularly be true of a CV deployed in the Pacific. So a significant security issue in the unclass letter/email.

Commanding officers are almost always popular with their crew. It is the job of the XO to be the bad guy.

"The world is too dangerous to live in-not because of the people who do evil, but because of the people who sit and let it happen." (Albert Einstein)

Posts: 955 | Location: Rural Virginia - USA | Registered: May 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ranger41:
Commanding officers are almost always popular with their crew.

And popularity has never been a particularly valid measure of how competent military commanders were besides being popular. George A. Custer was very popular with his men during the Civil War. George S. Patton was not known for his popularity so much.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Commanding officers are almost always popular with their crew.

And popularity has never been a particularly valid measure of how competent military commanders were besides being popular. George A. Custer was very popular with his men during the Civil War. George S. Patton was not known for his popularity so much.

Very good point.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
My wife asked me last night, after seeing the ship's crew cheering for their ousted Captain, if the Navy wasn't making a mistake since his crew obviously loves him.

I told her history is replete with examples of popular idiots, whether political or military.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:

Commanding officers are almost always popular with their crew. It is the job of the XO to be the bad guy.

In my experience it ran about 50/50.

In the mid 90's it became a practice on birdfarms (gators too) to rotate the XO to CO after the normal CO tour. I don't know if they do that anymore. Now that may have only been on FDNF units as tours are longer but in my experience those XO's weren't a dick one day and your drinking buddy the next.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kraquin:
quote:

In my experience it ran about 50/50.

In the mid 90's it became a practice on birdfarms (gators too) to rotate the XO to CO after the normal CO tour. I don't know if they do that anymore. Now that may have only been on FDNF units as tours are longer but in my experience those XO's weren't a dick one day and your drinking buddy the next.
Yeah, it really depends on the organizations. CVN XOs don't fleet up to CO on the same carrier, although I know that was/is(?) the practice now on regular Navy combatants, where it used to not be the case (change seems to be the only constant in the Navy).

In Navy aviation squadrons, the XO fleets up to CO at the change of command - as I think through my experiences, I'd say 1/3 were great people, 1/3 were nice but relatively incompetent-harmless, 1/3 were despised for various reasons. Same with Airwing commanders.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is real simple in my mind. Popularity means dick in this situation. I would add in today’s society the idea of “sticking it to the man” would be popular regardless.

He violated the very heart of his responsibility. The nations security. There is no getting around that. We aren’t at war but we aren’t exactly in stable times either.

He should have been relieved. It is the right call.

Posts: 7508 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Yep, he can be popular and still be hugely wrong.

I've been through a number of at sea change of commands, on cruisers back in the 80's. I've never even heard of an XO being promoted to CO (same ship) on any of those, short of a CO being relieved of command, and even then the XO appointment to CO was temporary.

Back then on cruisers, the XO (CDR/O5) left to take a command as a destroyer CO (CDR/O5 billet), or was promoted to CO on another different cruiser (CPT/O6 billet). Maybe transfers to a different ship as an XO. Captains, after change of command or relief, just went elsewhere... Another ship, promotion, shore rotation, resign, wherever.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6215 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, it looks like the former C.O. has tested positive for this virus.
I don't know anymore than the rest here but I just have a feeling he tried to go through channels and this was a last resort.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
I've been through a number of at sea change of commands, on cruisers back in the 80's. I've never even heard of an XO being promoted to CO (same ship) on any of those, short of a CO being relieved of command, and even then the XO appointment to CO was temporary.

Back then on cruisers, the XO (CDR/O5) left to take a command as a destroyer CO (CDR/O5 billet), or was promoted to CO on another different cruiser (CPT/O6 billet). Maybe transfers to a different ship as an XO. Captains, after change of command or relief, just went elsewhere... Another ship, promotion, shore rotation, resign, wherever.

I believe it was instituted back in early 00's. The XO/CO Fleet-up practice I think NAVAIR was already practicing, the SWO world adopted it (along with a lot of other dumb ideas) believing it to be a cost-saving measure (SWO in a Box?) and then, talking themselves into believing it retained 'continuity of command'. Nevermind, that the decision makers had not commanded a ship in over 15-years, and the SWO culture is very different than the NAVAIR and Nuke culture, where there's a culture of standards, mentorship and closer oversight.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleo205:
I don't know anymore than the rest here but I just have a feeling he tried to go through channels and this was a last resort.

This makes a little more sense and possibly why. If he's very sick with the virus, he's older than the majority of the crew, and doesn't want to die on the ship that doesn't have the medical facility to truly help him. I would also GUESS that if the CO has it, so do some of the top officers on the ship such as the XO since they're in such close contact.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
This change happened back in 2010-ish; I had a friend who screened for an O-4 XO billet on a DDG, but then the Navy changed the process to XOs fleeting up to COs, so he never went to that XO job. He eventually screened for commmand of a DDG and then did the O-5 XO to CO track (at least for O-5 command ships, not sure if O-6 / CGs fleet up or not).

It's the Navy after all, they need to change things every 5-10 years back to the 'way it was' before changing it back again. Staff's need fitrep bullets, after all. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
it may have been already posted, but here is the Ltr Capt Crozier wrote

https://assets.documentcloud.o...sistance-Request.pdf

I read his immediate commanding officer was on the carrier also.

https://www.businessinsider.co...ssified-email-2020-4

Posts: 19578 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleo205:

MY guess and the CO becoming infected is a coincidence; the CO, being in his mid to late 40s (maybe early 50s), just got married to a trophy queen 15 - 20 years his junior or, a trophy queen who's never experienced a navy cruise as the stay home spouse as she's freaking out.

Her lack of ability to remain calm and let her husband do his job without adding additional stress to it, added to the poor decision making about chain of command and OPSEC.

Or, the CO lost his nerve and had a total breakdown when faced with an unknown threat. Would be good for the war college to study in five years when today is history.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Not Navy but Air Force, but I was the commander of a military unit.

He communicated a personnel readiness/availability status of his unit through an UNCLASSIFIED communications method. Whether he had previously reported it through a UNITREP, or whatever it is called today, is irrelevant.

What is relevant is that he made an open (UNCLASSIFIED) communication of a CLASSIFIED matter of his unit’s personnel status. OPSEC and COMSEC procedures were violated. And for that reason alone he should have been relieved of command.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2700 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:. . . he made an open (UNCLASSIFIED) communication of a CLASSIFIED matter of his unit’s personnel status. OPSEC and COMSEC procedures were violated. And for that reason alone he should have been relieved of command.

I think that nails it.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I doubt anyone with a clue, including Captain Crozier himself, believes that he should not have been relieved fot what he did. I think the only real question (which we’ll likely never know for sure) is whether he could have solved the problem without totally FUBARing OPSEC.

If his direct boss was the only problem, I assume he could have sent a classified message over his direct boss’s head. Sure, it would be breaking chain of command and his direct boss would have been pissed, but he would likely have gotten the support he needed, perhaps with disciplinary consequences, but without breaking OPSEC. If the problem continued up the chain, perhaps external pressure was needed to get support.

It would been a whole lot better if he could have solved the problem while “playing by the rules.” I don’t know if that was possible, but it would have been better.

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
Hopping over be or two links in the chain to expose a serious problem can be acceptable, if that serious problem actually exists.

Writing an open letter to the world is never, ever going to be OK.

Service members dying, outside of war, to maintain strategic capabilities that prevent war is acceptable. Exposing weaknesses in those strategic cab abilities in an open letter to the world, in an attempt to prevent deaths that are militarily necessary, is never going to be OK

I’m troubled that an officer who doesn’t understand this rose to the rank where he would be a candidate to command such a significant asset, let alone that he was given such a command.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post