SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Career Limiting Move for the CO of the Roosevelt? (Navy Peeps will Understand)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Career Limiting Move for the CO of the Roosevelt? (Navy Peeps will Understand) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Problem some people here might not understand is that there are watch stations that HAVE to be manned no matter what. Anything dealing with the reactor plants have to stay manned 24/7/365 regardless of the situation. Sure there are certain watch stations that can be consolidated or temporarily shut down if the plants are shut down....but we don’t know what the shore power capabilities are for the piers in Guam. If they can’t go on shore power they need to keep at least one reactor up to provide electricity at a bare minimum.

If they were to just let the virus burn through the crew there is a chance that they might not have enough nukes to man the necessary watch stations. That’s the glaring problem that I see with the idea....and a big part of why I believe that some sort of isolation to stop the spread of the virus on the ship is a good idea.

Posts: 684 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
I highly doubt the CO "sent a letter to the Navy".

He more likely sent a message through channels that someone decided to leak.

Yes, the article itself said so:
quote:
The letter obtained by the San Francisco Chronicle

No fault of the captain, and no information was provided in that article to form the basis of any suspicion that he was the source of the leak, or that this was 'released.'

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Largefarva:
If they were to just let the virus burn through the crew there is a chance that they might not have enough nukes to man the necessary watch stations. That’s the glaring problem that I see with the idea....and a big part of why I believe that some sort of isolation to stop the spread of the virus on the ship is a good idea.

That's likely the biggest issue, CHENG not having enough health bodies to man the plant. Not knowing if there's a pattern or, concentration of the affected rates, can only suspect that the battle group CDR, after getting the report from the CO and notifying everyone else, told Guam to get ready and have the ship pull in.

If higher up is so concerned about not having a carrier in the Western Pacific, there's two CSG's doing lazy squares in the Arabian right now, watching a sick & infected Iran. Roll Eyes

Which brings up another issue...how many overseas ports are there where our carriers can pull into and tie-up? Plenty of Euro/Med visits but, those visits the carrier is anchored and shuttle boats are provided. Yokosuka...doubt Cubi Pt is an option anymore, Australia?

Posts: 14656 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
...not having air cover...

Yeah, those days are long over - that's what the DDG / CGs are for.
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
If higher up is so concerned about not having a carrier in the Western Pacific, there's two CSG's doing lazy squares in the Arabian right now, watching a sick & infected Iran. Roll Eyes

Pretty much a complete waste of time for all involved on those 'efforts '- but the Admiral has to have someplace to command his battlegroup and people need combat / tax free pay! Wink
quote:
Which brings up another issue...how many overseas ports are there where our carriers can pull into and tie-up? Plenty of Euro/Med visits but, those visits the carrier is anchored and shuttle boats are provided. Yokosuka...doubt Cubi Pt is an option anymore, Australia?

Bahrain is anchor out, UAE is pier side but is very isolated - other than the busses / taxi's to shuttle people to civilization and the indigenous people to work the food court in the sand box.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
US Navy Evacuating Aircraft Carrier Infected by Coronavirus
quote:
A skeleton crew will man critical stations while Theodore Roosevelt is disinfected pierside in Guam, Acting Secretary Modly said

The U.S. Navy says it will remove the vast majority of USS Theodore Roosevelt’s crew so the aircraft carrier can be disinfected, one day after its commanding officer sent an urgent message asking for help controlling a COVID-19 outbreak.

“The key is to make sure that we can get a set of crew members that can man all those critical functions on the ship, make sure they’re clean, get them back on, clean the ship, and get the other crew members off,” Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly said in a Tuesday interview with CNN. “And that’s the process we’re going through. It’s very methodical. We’re absolutely accelerating it as we go.”

The 1,100-foot Theodore Roosevelt tied up in Guam last week after several sailors were discovered to be infected. On Monday, Capt. Brett Crozier sent an extraordinary four-page letter asking for Navy help. His warship has no space to give infected patients a separate berthing space and bathroom, so he asked for help finding rooms ashore.

Posts: 14656 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
A "deep clean" of a ship this size is a monumental task. Merci!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
The Carrier should be ready for Nuclear, Biological and Chemical warfare. And he's say He can't do anything to defend against this Virus?

He should be unemployed or peeling potatoes.

Would you expect that no one on a ship catch a cold or flu?

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
A "deep clean" of a ship this size is a monumental task. Merci!

That’s to say the least. All the nooks and crannies on top of all the different compartments that a carrier has. I sure wouldn’t want to be involved in such an endeavor...but my experiences with field day on the Enterprise and later, the Reagan, have probably clouded my judgement when it comes to this sort of thing.

Posts: 684 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Largefarva:

That's likely the biggest issue, CHENG not having enough health bodies to man the plant. Not knowing if there's a pattern or, concentration of the affected rates, can only suspect that the battle group CDR, after getting the report from the CO and notifying everyone else, told Guam to get ready and have the ship pull in.

Most countries are on lock down and would do their best to NOT let any sailors come on land or ashore.....Italy.....Australia to name a few.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife’s 1st cousin, his son is on the Roosevelt. He’s a young kid, enlisted. He hasn’t said anything to his own dad yet except he doesn’t have the covid. As you may imagine the family is paying close attention to this story.

Posts: 4767 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Slight thread drift, sort of, but is militarily related.

Tinker AFB in OKC (Midwest City) orders people back to work.
---------------------------
More than 1,800 workers are heading back to work at Tinker Air Force Base on Wednesday.
In the midst of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, Tinker’s Air Force Sustainment Center said it needed to recall 1,870 essential employees back to work.
“Our top priority at the Air Force Sustainment Center is to ensure the health and safety of our workforce while balancing mission readiness and our support to national security,” Tinker released in a statement. “Not only must we continue our unique contributions to the defense of our nation, we also have an important responsibility to protect the workforce and prevent the spread of COVID-19.”
Tinker, the state's largest single-site employer, said a fourth positive case of COVID-19 was confirmed on Tuesday after an employee in the 76 Commodities Maintenance Group in building 9001 was a symptomatic member placed into quarantine.
The 72nd Medical Group said public health officials continue to trace the member’s recent movements and contacts.
The base remains in Health Protection Condition Charlie, maximizing use of teleworking, alternating shifts, various types of leave and practicing substantial social distancing to keep members safe. The number of employees working on base will change as circumstances do.
In a message to Air Force Sustainment Center employees on Friday, Commander Lt. Gen. Kirkland said the nation’s “warfighters depend on the readiness our Center generates” and that depots, air base wings, and supply chain wings remain ready and working.
“Every individual in the Air Force Sustainment Center is mission essential,” Kirkland wrote. “We cannot execute our responsibilities without you.”

ir Force Sustainment Center said the personnel recalled to base from administrative leave were necessary to avoid “unacceptable mission impacts.”
“We will do our very best to continue adapting our processes,” the statement read. “Ensuring the safety of our Airmen remains the top priority while meeting our national defense mission requirements.”
Secretary of Defense Mark Esper issued the following in a letter on Tuesday.
“As we do our part to mitigate the effects of this pandemic, we must remain prepared to carry out our core national security missions. Our adversaries may look to exploit this crisis, as much of the world' s attention is directed toward the coronavirus.”

Link To Story

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
My wife’s 1st cousin, his son is on the Roosevelt. He’s a young kid, enlisted. He hasn’t said anything to his own dad yet except he doesn’t have the covid. As you may imagine the family is paying close attention to this story.

Well consider this - he's abiding with OPSEC and good on him.

Just read a tweet by the CinC indicating Iran may be considering an attack on Iraq. With this president, I have no doubt he's relaying the truth as he knows it.

From there, and with the assumption CinC's info is accurate, what are the odds Iran developed these plans knowing our carrier assets are ported and unmanned and the knowledge is international news???

Whomever leaked this news is not a friend of the US and placing our military and allies at risk. Mad

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
From there, and with the assumption CinC's info is accurate, what are the odds Iran developed these plans knowing our carrier assets are ported and unmanned and the knowledge is international news???

No doubt, the hawks in Iran are salivating in the belief that everyone they don't like has their guard down. There's two carriers hanging around off of Iran's coast..not to mention we have assets in UAE, and whatever is assigned to 5th fleet.
quote:
Whomever leaked this news is not a friend of the US and placing our military and allies at risk. Mad

Several theories being tossed around, as this 'letter' is not a standard internal memo/communique. There's a lot of non-FOGO's who are applauding this move.
One theory, there may have been conflict between the CO and the battle group admiral (he's not been heard of BTW), the letter circumvents the chain of command; which presents a whole other kettle of fish, superseding a lot of stars. Navy leadership has a dubious track-record lately (Fat Leonard, McCain/Fitz, NCIS...) when dealing with challenges, and they're not very speedy about it.
Was this actually a joint letter by the command triad?
Was this leaked by somebody in the Navy comms chain?

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:

My oldest friend’s daughter-in-law is a PO1 on the TR. Sounds like the crew has little or no idea what’s going to happen from here on out. Obviously, on a carrier it’s impossible to quarantine infected sailors from those who are not. All you can do is quarantine the entire ship from the island of Guam. I think he said the sailors who tested positive have been moved to Naval Hospital Guam, but while there’s no way to remove all 4,800 sailors, apparently about 2,700 are on the island in hotel rooms. No idea if those are those suspected of being exposed, or those thought not to have been.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TMats,

Posts: 13262 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Cruise ships have to stay at sea with infected aboard, but Guam is gonna allow 5,000 sailors to come ashore?

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Turns out the Captain did leak the letter, and he is now relieved of command.

He had to know that was coming. I can only assume he did it knowing it would end his career. Maybe he didn't want flag rank.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Turns out the Captain did leak the letter, and he is now relieved of command.

He had to know that was coming. I can only assume he did it knowing it would end his career. Maybe he didn't want flag rank.

Sounds like he made a personal sacrifice for the good of his sailors

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
Sounds like he made a personal sacrifice for the good of his sailors
All well and good, nothing like announcing you're taking a CARRIER out of the equation during a global crisis. Roll Eyes

There were other ways of accomplishing this...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6214 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I think he got scared for his own life and panicked.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post