SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Career Limiting Move for the CO of the Roosevelt? (Navy Peeps will Understand)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Career Limiting Move for the CO of the Roosevelt? (Navy Peeps will Understand) Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Turns out the Captain did leak the letter, and he is now relieved of command.

He had to know that was coming. I can only assume he did it knowing it would end his career. Maybe he didn't want flag rank.

Do you have a link?

NVM, found one: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/m...ut-covid-19-n1175351

All I can say is GOOD

Bastard should be summarily retired at a minimum or find himself defending against charges of divulging fleet secrets

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
Sounds like he made a personal sacrifice for the good of his sailors
All well and good, nothing like announcing you're taking a CARRIER out of the equation during a global crisis. Roll Eyes

There were other ways of accomplishing this...

Maybe he tried them already. Not saying I agree with what he did but we don’t know all of the facts. Maybe he’s a good guy who did the wrong thing for the right reason. Or he’s just a dip shit. Or maybe a combination of both

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
All well and good, nothing like announcing you're taking a CARRIER out of the equation during a global crisis. Roll Eyes

There were other ways of accomplishing this...

Maybe he tried them already. Not saying I agree with what he did but we don’t know all of the facts. Maybe he’s a good guy who did the wrong thing for the right reason. Or he’s just a dip shit. Or maybe a combination of both

I am willing to bet you a dollar any WESTPAC ship which has hit port since Jan 1 (read: all of them) have shipmates with the virus. The thing is, you nor other countries know where they're currently located or readiness status.

The CVN CO here could've / should've, set up the forecastle as a quarantine area for all hands who are sick, set off a secret SITREP about thee ship's status, the waited for and followed the orders provided.

And please note, they're called "orders" not "requests."

Pisses me off how much he's endangered.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Turns out the Captain did leak the letter, and he is now relieved of command.

He had to know that was coming. I can only assume he did it knowing it would end his career. Maybe he didn't want flag rank.

Agreed.

And no one is reporting that he leaked anything, just that he sent it to 20-30 people who could have leaked it, or something.

The only thing this guy is guilty of is pissing off the wrong guy in the Pentagon.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:

And no one is reporting that he leaked anything, just that he sent it to 20-30 people who could have leaked it, or something.

The only thing this guy is guilty of is pissing off the wrong guy in the Pentagon.

From Fox News
quote:

Navy Capt. Brett Crozier, the carrier’s commander, was sacked after he was accused of leaking a letter to the media that went "outside the chain of command" pleading for help after more than 100 sailors on board tested positive for the coronavirus, and nearly 100 others are suspected of contracting the virus.

Modly said: "This decision is not one of retribution."

"I did not come to this decision lightly," he said. "I have no doubt in my mind [Captain] Crozier did what he thought was in the best interest [of] the safety and well being of his crew. Unfortunately, he did the opposite."

"It unnecessarily raised alarms with the families of our sailors and Marines with no plan to address those concerns," Modley continued. "It raised concerns about the operational security and operational capability of that ship that could have emboldened our adversaries to seek advantage and it undermined the chain of command." [emphasis mine]

No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:....Not saying I agree with what he did but we don’t know all of the facts. Maybe he’s a good guy who did the wrong thing for the right reason. Or he’s just a dip shit. Or maybe a combination of both

Maybe it comes down to a question, is he competent to command a US Aircraft Carrier during a battle in wartime?

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:....Not saying I agree with what he did but we don’t know all of the facts. Maybe he’s a good guy who did the wrong thing for the right reason. Or he’s just a dip shit. Or maybe a combination of both

Maybe it comes down to a question, is he competent to command a US Aircraft Carrier during a battle in wartime?

Rephrased - does the chain of command feel that he is competent to command? Pretty clear they did not.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Simply stated I'm confident there is more to the story than the public has been given.

For a skipper to do what he is said to have done with making his plea public, something else had been at play. And of course, such actions, if true which is being portrayed as such, have severe consequences.

Addendum: I stand corrected. SECNAV's comments about too many "cc's" (generating the public leak) on the Captain's communication reflects stupidity not befitting a Carrier CO.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't properly use the chain of command. Unqualified for the position and Thankfully Removed before more were impacted.
quote:
Navy fires captain who sought help for virus-stricken ship

"Navy Secretary Thomas Modly said the ship's commander, Capt. Brett Crozier "demonstrated extremely poor judgement" in the middle of a crisis. He said the captain copied too many people on the memo,"

"He said Crozier should have gone directly to his immediate commanders, who were already moving to help the ship."

https://komonews.com/news/nati...r-virus-striken-ship

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
He clearly wasn't suited and it took a crisis to find out.

Better now than later...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These Captains tried to do it the right way. Then sailors died.

https://features.propublica.or...-japan-cause-mccain/

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah sometimes you need to fall on your sword. Seen plenty of great friends do it for their shipmates and squadrons.

REMFS / Arm Chair QBs will wax poetic at what they would have done, but odds are most of them never came close to even doing, much less been in a situation of having to get it done.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Yeah sometimes you need to fall on your sword. Seen plenty of great friends do it for their shipmates and squadrons.

REMFS / Arm Chair QBs will wax poetic at what they would have done, but odds are most of them never came close to even doing, much less been in a situation of having to get it done.

I do recall using the forward mess decks as a quarantined area for a few weeks. Wink

Pain the ass getting around but not impossible. Unless your quarters were moved due to access, the real pain for the crew was eating.

posted Hide Post
The brass doesn't like to be called-out, especailly publicly like this. Were they dragging their feet in response or, under-playing the situation, we don't know. We haven't heard from the CSG admiral, perhaps they didn't get along, as the Captain didn't make him aware of his letter.
quote:
The letter was sent over non- secure, unclassified email even though that ship possesses some of the most sophisticated communications and encryption equipment in the Fleet."

"It was sent outside the chain of command, at the same time the rest of the Navy was fully responding. Worse, the Captain’s actions made his Sailors, their families, and many in the public believe that his letter was the only reason help from our larger Navy family was forthcoming, which was hardly the case."

This isn't the first time somebody in command has sacrificed their own careers for the good of the unit/crew/team, its admirable and noble but, there's a right way and wrong way to do it. He broadcast the readiness shortcomings to the world (30+ cc'd Eek) and made his superiors and the Navy look bad. Now, there's a bunch of Congress critters who don't understand how the military works, lined up for their pound-of-flesh from the SECDEF.

Posts: 14655 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
He clearly wasn't suited and it took a crisis to find out.

Better now than later...

This precisely. Well said.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
If the situation were so dire that immediate action was needed, he could have informed his higher HQ that he needed help from the Navy to maintain the health and operational readiness his command and that if no action were taken he would resign immediately. That would have been principled.

Instead he went grandstanding. People may think he did something wonderful, but this is not so.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:

The real question is, are any of the Commanding officers of the aircraft carriers competent? Are the higher up's competent at making good decisions revolving the fleet.

After seeing the many accidents on 4 different destroyers resulting from poor leadership and poorly trained crew in the pacific fleet, I tend to question the others competence as well. They all got their training at the same place/type.

Perhaps the higher ups couldn't make a competent decision regarding this Commanding Officers crew and he decided to go around them in an effort to save them. Say you have 100 extremely sick crew on an aircraft carrier, how many other crew do you need to use to care for them? How fast will it spread to the rest of the crew. An aircraft carrier or any other ship (besides a hospital ship) simply isn't set up for dealing with mass sickness. It sounds like he initially tried to go through the proper channels, and it fell on deaf ears.

It's not like you can hide the location of where an aircraft carrier is from the rest of the world. They're easy enough to track with modern technology and most foreign navies know exactly where they are.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
What Capt. Brett Crozier did cannot be justified within military standards. Maybe he didn't have confidence in a clear, concise solution from his chain of command? Fatigue, stress? Most of us will probably never know why he did what he did and with enough military experience to likely realize the consequences of his actions. What he did do comes off more like a letter home to his mom from Seaman Schmuckatelli than the actions of a carrier C.O.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
What Capt. Brett Crozier did cannot be justified within military standards. Maybe he didn't have confidence in a clear, concise solution from his chain of command? Fatigue, stress? Most of us will probably never know why he did what he did and with enough military experience to likely realize the consequences of his actions. What he did do comes off more like a letter home to his mom from Seaman Schmuckatelli than the actions of a carrier C.O.

I do not disagree with this. I'm sure there is more to this story than any of us will ever know also.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This would have been a good case scenario to dispatch the West Coast Naval Hospital ship vs. anchoring it in LA.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post