SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Career Limiting Move for the CO of the Roosevelt? (Navy Peeps will Understand)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Career Limiting Move for the CO of the Roosevelt? (Navy Peeps will Understand) Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Just reported in San Diego - the Acting NAVSEC is retiring.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Not surprising.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6214 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Just reported in San Diego - the Acting NAVSEC is retiring.

damn -- the Navy has been a mess the last few years

---------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Nobody gives a shit about outside observers. It about our enemies knowing out readiness. Does no one play chess anymore?

This is a breach that could absolutely be exploited by our ENEMIES. What the American people think about this is literally meaningless. Most folks don’t understand common sense let alone military issues.

If you think it’s no big deal, fine. You are entitled to that opinion. Just know that everyone who actually understands global military strategy disagrees with you. You guys also conveniently ignore that this was done to send a message to any other Nancy commander who thinks tweeting out combat readiness information is ok, now once again knows it is not.

Edited to add: Outside of his unnecessarily gratuitous speech, canning this guy was the easiest decision in the world.

I was actually agreeing with you, maybe I should have been more clear. My comment re outside observers was alluding to those who aren't connected to the role of national defense and the demands thereof, such as the media, most liberals.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Acting NAVSEC is retiring.
Adios MFer - talk about stupid, he should look in the mirror...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SECNAV.... two down, and both due to stepping on their own dicks.

Both of these clowns were so corporate in their attitudes that they failed to read the temperature in the room. Meanwhile, all the admirals around him dutifully nod their heads.

F-it! Bring back Lehman.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
The purge of decent senior officers by Zippy the Wonder Putz during his bowing reign has lead to the remaining progressive highest ranking promoting and culling additional like minded juniors into leadership positions. Crozier appears to be an example.

Obama's entire life was dedicated to weakening America.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
SECNAV.... two down, and both due to stepping on their own dicks.

Both of these clowns were so corporate in their attitudes that they failed to read the temperature in the room. Meanwhile, all the admirals around him dutifully nod their heads.

F-it! Bring back Lehman.

Both seem to have demonstrated a total lack of judgement. I can't help but wonder how either was able to rise to such a high level without having a career ending move earlier.

Publicly going outside the chain of command about combat readiness and publicly reprimanding an officer in front of the entire crew. Both seem like something the most junior ensign would know to avoid.

The Secretary of the Navy really blows my mind because I read he was an Annapolis grad. He could have easily explained the need to follow chain of command and operational security to the entire crew without ever mentioning the captain's name.

I'm having a hard time believing that in the entire history of the Navy this is the first time a disease has broken out on a Navy warship which threatened to incapacitate/kill the entire crew. It seems it would have been easy enough for the Secretary of the Navy to call over to Annapolis and get a historical example and then have a talk with the crew about the correct way to handle the situation along with the implications to national defense. No need to ever mention the former captain by name.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
A carrier is a floating air wing. (and more).

I have seen up close and personal, Wing Commanders get shitcanned over lesser things than this.

Loose lips, and all that.

As MikeinNC stated, "Right thing the wrong way."

Capt'n screwed the wrong pooch.

SECNAV came along and stuck it in the same pooch.

That dog ain't none too happy.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43885 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
A carrier is a floating air wing. (and more).

I have seen up close and personal, Wing Commanders get shitcanned over lesser things than this.

Loose lips, and all that.

As MikeinNC stated, "Right thing the wrong way."

Capt'n screwed the wrong pooch.

SECNAV came along and stuck it in the same pooch.

That dog ain't none too happy.

Maybe neither one wanted to be in the DoD anymore? Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A bit more light has come out, most importantly a timeline of events helps put things into perspective. Some of the important dates:

08 MAR: TR departs Da Nang, Vietnam.
15 MAR: USS BOXER (LHD-4) has first case of COVID-19 on a USN ship.
22 MAR: USS THEODORE ROOSEVELT (CVN-71) has first COVID-19 case.
27 MAR: TR pierside Guam.
30 MAR: The Crozier memo goes out.
02 APR: CO of TR, CAPT Crozier, relieved of command.
05 APR: Acting SECNAV Modly gives his speech to the crew of the TR over the 1MC.
07 APR: Modly submits his resignation.

Navy document outlining what-if scenario and plans for ships that get infected while underway, went out on 19 Mar.

The deafening silence about what were the admirals above CAPT Crozier doing?

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like one of the sailors has died. Hopefully it’ll be the only one.

https://www.usnews.com/news/na...from-the-coronavirus

Posts: 685 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like the outbreak on the TR started in Reactor Department. Might explain why things happened the way they did with his email sent out. If Reactor Department went down it would be a HUGE deal for the Navy.

https://www.businessinsider.co...or-crew-first-2020-4

Posts: 685 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reactor Department

Da hell is that? Razz
Do they not still call it engineering or propulsion? I was on a nuclear powered ship, we called it Engineering Dept.

And maybe I'm missing something regarding transmission of this thing. On a ship it probably wouldn't matter all that much "where" it started, or rather "who" tested positive first. On a Navy ship, it's going to spread FAST.

NRA Benefactor

Posts: 6214 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The ship is powered by reactors. The department that runs and maintains the reactors and associated equipment is Reactor Department. Some Engineering Department is involved but the majority is Reactor.

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Largefarva:
The ship is powered by reactors. The department that runs and maintains the reactors and associated equipment is Reactor Department. Some Engineering Department is involved but the majority is Reactor.
Ummm, okay, really? whatever, not on the NUKE ship I was on, but mkay... matters not.

NRA Benefactor

posted Hide Post
Which ship were you on? I was on the Enterprise and the Reagan (Nimitz class along with the TR) and I can assure you that Reactor Department existed on both ships.

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Largefarva:
Which ship were you on? I was on the Enterprise and the Reagan (Nimitz class along with the TR) and I can assure you that Reactor Department existed on both ships.
Interesting, never heard snipes, even the nuke variety on any ship, were in any division other than engineering dept..

Obviously the nuke vs non-nuke EM's, ET's, and MM's were in different divisions, but if it involved propulsion or power systems, they were in engineering dept..

Like I said, matters not, I'd just never heard that term. I was on the Bainbridge in the 80's, maybe the nomenclature evolved after that?

And I still contend it doesn't really matter where, once the virus is on the ship.

NRA Benefactor

posted Hide Post
I agree with you for the most part, but where I think it matters most is on a ship the size of a carrier.

Down in the propulsion plants it’s very feasible that something like this could spread very very fast due to the close interaction of everyone involved. In the enclosed operating space (EOS) where the watch officer, reactor operator, log recorder/phone talker and throttleman watchstanders are there is no way to “socially distance” from each other. Out in the plant, sure...but it’s going to be ineffective. Everyone has to interact with each other. And due to how lean the manning is these days, all nukes would have the potential to be exposed within 24 hours or so for the most part. So if it started there then there isn’t much time before you have a serious problem. So timing could be critical to get people separated as soon as possible so it doesn’t spread to the entire department...just my thoughts on the matter.

Other parts of the ship it might take longer because there isn’t quite that interaction needed as there is down in the plants. I’m pretty sure there’s quite a sizable chunk of people that I never crossed paths with from other departments while on either of my deployments to the Med. Most departments don’t interact with each other because there’s really no need to. The main exceptions are the galley personnel....those poor bastards have to deal with everyone on a daily basis. There’s obviously other departments that interact with others....but for the most part only if there’s an actual reason.

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
The main exceptions are the galley personnel....those poor bastards have to deal with everyone on a daily basis. There’s obviously other departments that interact with others....but for the most part only if there’s an actual reason.

See, that's the thing, everyone(enlisted) uses the mess decks, it would probably be spread there no matter what. On a Navy ship, not being able to "distance" isn't what will be the primary vector, surface transmission would be just as bad. Maybe I'm wrong.

If they ever get around to testing an entire crew for antibodies, it wouldn't surprise me at all to find out almost everyone ( >90% ) had da rona.

NRA Benefactor