SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency
Page 1 ... 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 ... 522

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
Wow, liberals are losing their minds over what he said about the mayor. The horror of calling it how it is Wink
What did he say and about which mayor?

Posts: 109088 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Conversely the President needs to understand that mayor is in a nightmare, is screaming for help, and acting a bit childish. Responding in kind is not appropriate. Trump should have taken the high road, held a press conference, and laid out the plan, efforts and challenges and thus debunking and diffusing the event instead of inflaming it further.

She should shut up and let adults talk, she is just a mayor of some little city. The governor of Puerto Rico had nothing but praise for Trump and his administration.

"Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rosselló praised President Donald Trump for his response to the island after the devastation caused by Hurricane Maria.
“The president and the administration, every time we’ve asked them to execute, they’ve executed quickly,” Rosselló told Fox Business host Maria Bartiromo in an interview on Friday morning."

http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...-hurricane-response/

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17175 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Report This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
What did he say and about which mayor?

quote:
http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...-cnn-san-juan-mayor/

Donald Trump Rips 'Fake News' CNN and San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz for Puerto Rico Criticism
by Charlie Spiering30 Sep 201710,507
3-4 minutes
President Donald Trump accused San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz of playing politics in a tweet Saturday after she delivered an emotional speech accusing the administration of “killing” Puerto Rico’s people.

“If anybody out there is listening to us, we are dying,” she said during an interview with CNN on Friday. “And you are killing us with the inefficiency.”

"We are dying & you are killing us with the inefficiency" San Juan Mayor to Trump & Admin#PuertoRicoRelief #AMJoy
https://t.co/64ueuRUb08

— Scott Dworkin (@funder) September 29, 2017

Trump appeared angry by the mayor’s dramatic accusations, especially after they were used by his critics and some members of the media to accuse him of failing Puerto Rico with recovery efforts in the wake of Hurricane Maria.

“The Mayor of San Juan, who was very complimentary only a few days ago, has now been told by the Democrats that you must be nasty to Trump,” the president wrote on Twitter.

The Mayor of San Juan, who was very complimentary only a few days ago, has now been told by the Democrats that you must be nasty to Trump.

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 30, 2017

He criticized the mayor’s “poor leadership” in getting local distributors for the aid that had piled up in the port of San Juan.

“Such poor leadership ability by the Mayor of San Juan, and others in Puerto Rico, who are not able to get their workers to help,” Trump said. “They want everything to be done for them when it should be a community effort. 10,000 Federal workers now on Island doing a fantastic job.”

…Such poor leadership ability by the Mayor of San Juan, and others in Puerto Rico, who are not able to get their workers to help. They….

…want everything to be done for them when it should be a community effort. 10,000 Federal workers now on Island doing a fantastic job.

Trump also accused CNN and NBC of spreading “fake news” and using the crisis to criticize him.

“Fake News CNN and NBC are going out of their way to disparage our great First Responders as a way to ‘get Trump,'” Trump wrote. “Not fair to FR or effort!”

Fake News CNN and NBC are going out of their way to disparage our great First Responders as a way to "get Trump." Not fair to FR or effort!

“The Fake News Networks are working overtime in Puerto Rico doing their best to take the spirit away from our soldiers and first R’s,” he wrote. “Shame!”

The Fake News Networks are working overtime in Puerto Rico doing their best to take the spirit away from our soldiers and first R's. Shame!

President Donald Trump will visit Puerto Rico on Tuesday to personally witness the damage Hurricane Maria has caused the island and its people.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Report This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
All the media is reporting:
quote:
want everything to be done for them when it should be a community effort. 10,000 Federal workers now on Island doing a fantastic job.

There were talking heads on CNN. One was a shrill woman who could not get past "Trump is to blame." The other was a male that calmly listed in detail the work that has been done. He fisnished that people are no doubt expecting it to go faster but this was reality. The shrill woman kept screaming.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Report This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
quote:
want everything to be done for them when it should be a community effort. 10,000 Federal workers now on Island doing a fantastic job.

There were talking heads on CNN. One was a shrill woman who could not get past "Trump is to blame." The other was a male that calmly listed in detail the work that has been done. He fisnished that people are no doubt expecting it to go faster but this was reality. The shrill woman kept screaming.

Dear God why were you watching CNN? I refuse to give them a second of my time. I had no choice recently when in was in Mexico, the only channel inn the hotel in English was CNN. I just read a book and turned it off after so long. They are worse than MSNBC, truly. Fuck them.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10752 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
quote:

This is what they did to El Diablo in Katrina. The Governor of Louisiana and Mayor of New Orleans refused to cooperate with FEMA, give appropriate orders, make formal requests, dragged their feet and made a terrible situation hideous. The feds and El Diablo got rhe blame.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Yep...the media figures they might as well pursue a Katrina type hatchet job of Trump's handling of Puerto Rico. They only need one hysterical mayor to make it stick. Trump doesn't take the high road. He fights back...that's his style.

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
There is no "high road" to take with liberals. There is retreat, or dam the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

About time we took the latter.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
It is going to take months to clean up and start rebuilding the damagrd areas. It doesn't matter how many workers, how many ships, how many trucks, bulldozers, tractors, etc.

There are, according to one report I read, 39,000 houses that have to be essentially rebuilt in Houston before they can be occupied. That will take a long time, no matter who runs FEMA, no matter the resources thrown into the effort.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Months is most likely an understatement.

There is no Amazon Prime for natural disaster relief.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
When my mom's house was ruined in a flood in 1998, I think it took over a year to get it back habitable, cleaned, dried, treated, and finally rebuilt.

That was in a situation where relatively few properties were involved, power, water, roads were always available, she got a contractor who she knew and trusted working on it relatively soon and had the resources to proceed without any real worry, although she did worry. She had a place to live and her car. It wasn't the easiest thing that ever happened, but far, far easier to deal with than what most of these hurricane victims face.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
In Biloxi after Katrina, it was staggering how much debris needed to be removed—including highways, bridges, etc. Countless truckloads of debris had to be carted off—-where do they put it all?

Posts: 18364 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I live in the Florida panhandle, and for many years, there were still blue tarps on houses.

Some houses were never rebuilt in time to prevent total loss due to continued damage and the effects of nature over time, and some of these have been demo'd and new homes built in there place as late as this year.

And this is in an area that is desirable and growing at a pretty good clip, worth people of means.

So, to say that things will be going on for many years to come, and that some of the progress will be very slow, is an understatement.

Those who are whining loudest are doing the least to recover.

I have selective deafness of such noise.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44480 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Other Puerto Rican Mayor: Trump Has Been Great, San Juan's Mayor Has Been AWOL

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...s-been-awol-n2389031

The Washington Examiner reported earlier today that the mayor of Guaynabo, Puerto Rico criticized neighboring San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz for "playing politics" after Hurricane Maria. He also praised President Trump for his hurricane recovery coordination efforts.

Guaynabo Mayor Angel Perez Otero says that Mayor Yulin Cruz has been a no show at coordination meetings between FEMA, U.S. military officials, and Puerto Rican leaders.

"I've seen other mayors participating. She's not," said Perez Otero.

Perez Otero says he has been in constant contact with U.S. officials and is confident that they will provide the very best recovery efforts they can.

Increasingly though, it would appear Mayor Yulin Cruz seized this natural disaster as a political opportunity to score points as a hero for the people of Puerto Rico, despite not actually working with federal agents in recovery effort.

Perez Otero is now the second person today to report that Yulin Cruz has been non-compliant with federal aid.

FEMA administrator Brock Long told CNN today that "the problem that we have with [Yulin Cruz] unfortunately is that unity of command is ultimately what’s needed to be successful in this response" and “what we need is for the mayor, the good mayor, to make her way to the joint field office and get plugged into what’s going on and be successful."

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Now, Ms. Mayor who attacked Trump for doing nothing and killing her people... is saying this is not the time for politics.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/...i=BBnbcA1&srcref=rss

San Juan Mayor Says `No Time for Politics' After Trump Taunt

President Donald Trump steps through the door of Air Force One at Morristown Municipal Airport in Morristown, N.J., Friday, Sept. 29, 2017. Trump is spending the weekend in Bedminster, N.J., at his golf club. (AP Photo/Susan Walsh)
Price's exit further complicates GOP health care push
Mayor of San Juan Carmen Yulin Cruz stands outside of the government center at the Roberto Clemente Coliseum days after Hurricane Maria, in San Juan, Puerto Rico September 30, 2017.© REUTERS/Carlos Barria Mayor of San Juan Carmen Yulin Cruz stands outside of the government center at the Roberto Clemente Coliseum days after Hurricane Maria, in San Juan, Puerto Rico September 30, 2017.

(Bloomberg) -- San Juan’s mayor said there’s “no time for politics” in Puerto Rico’s recovery efforts from Hurricane Maria, hours after getting blasted by President Donald Trump on Twitter.

“I have only one goal, and it is saving lives,” Carmen Yulin Cruz, mayor of Puerto Rico’s largest city, said in an interview with Bloomberg. “I will say whatever needs to be said or done to be able to do that. There should be no distractions. There’s no time for anything else.”

Earlier on Saturday, Trump said on Twitter that Cruz and others in Puerto Rico had displayed “such poor leadership ability” in being “not able to get their workers to help.”

“They want everything to be done for them,” Trump said. He also suggested that Cruz had been told to criticize the president by “the Democrats” after earlier praising the relief efforts.

Cruz said she wasn’t alone in concluding that federal action to help the U.S. commonwealth recover from Hurricane Maria, which hit on Sept. 20, had been inadequate so far.

“General Buchanan has said he doesn’t have what he needs in Puerto Rico to get the situation under control,” she said of Lt. Gen. Jeffrey Buchanan, who’s been appointed to lead all military hurricane efforts in Puerto Rico. “Don’t take my word for it, take a three-star general’s word for it.”

In an interview Friday with CNN, Buchanan said the Pentagon had 10,000 people helping with hurricane response efforts and that more were being added. “We’re bringing in both Air Force, Navy, and Army medical capabilities in addition to aircraft, more helicopters,” he said. “It’s not enough, and we’re bringing more in.”

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38221 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Other Puerto Rican Mayor: Trump Has Been Great, San Juan's Mayor Has Been AWOL

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...s-been-awol-n2389031

The Washington Examiner reported earlier today that the mayor of Guaynabo, Puerto Rico criticized neighboring San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz for "playing politics" after Hurricane Maria. He also praised President Trump for his hurricane recovery coordination efforts.

Guaynabo Mayor Angel Perez Otero says that Mayor Yulin Cruz has been a no show at coordination meetings between FEMA, U.S. military officials, and Puerto Rican leaders.

"I've seen other mayors participating. She's not," said Perez Otero.

Perez Otero says he has been in constant contact with U.S. officials and is confident that they will provide the very best recovery efforts they can.

Increasingly though, it would appear Mayor Yulin Cruz seized this natural disaster as a political opportunity to score points as a hero for the people of Puerto Rico, despite not actually working with federal agents in recovery effort.

Perez Otero is now the second person today to report that Yulin Cruz has been non-compliant with federal aid.

FEMA administrator Brock Long told CNN today that "the problem that we have with [Yulin Cruz] unfortunately is that unity of command is ultimately what’s needed to be successful in this response" and “what we need is for the mayor, the good mayor, to make her way to the joint field office and get plugged into what’s going on and be successful."

That is a smart mayor. I'm sure he means it, but you know he's getting anything he wants now Wink

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Report This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
As always, there's a lot of misinformation being spread around. For example, take a look at the following pic of the mayor "braving the cholera-infested waters" to lend a hand. Literally, lend a hand.

Also, notice how dry her shirt is. Try to do that on waist-deep water. Care to expound a theory about that image?

I was born and raised in Puerto Rico. Damn proud to be too. And this is what I know about "my" people. In some areas, all able-bodied persons rolled up their sleeves and brought their neighborhoods to almost normal conditions. In others, they just wait for someone to do it for them. Sure, we are talking about a major disaster and all that it logistically entails. Conditions are not the same everywhere.

But I don't believe for an instant that the images we get through the media are not ratings-driven. Or in the case of individuals, opportunity-seeking. For example, Benicio del Toro is doing something to help. Lin Manuel Miranda just talks.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Report This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
http://video.foxbusiness.com/v...6001/?#sp=show-clips

Trump touts efforts to level playing field for manufacturing industry

Sep. 29, 2017 - 4:59 - Marlin Steel President Drew Greenblatt and American Majority CEO Ned Ryun discuss President Trump’s speech at the National Association of Manufacturers.

Posts: 11894 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Report This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
http://video.foxbusiness.com/v...651001#sp=show-clips

Mnuchin: Tax plan will cut deficit by $1T

Sep. 28, 2017 - 9:02 - U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin argues President Trump's tax reform plan can generate $2 trillion in growth.

Posts: 11894 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Report This Post