SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency
Page 1 ... 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 ... 522

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency Login/Join 
Patent Pending
Picture of Tonyny
posted Hide Post
Is Secession a Solution to Cultural War?

By Patrick J. Buchanan

As the culture war is about irreconcilable beliefs about God and man, right and wrong, good and evil, and is at root a religious war, it will be with us so long as men are free to act on their beliefs.

Yet, given the divisions among us, deeper and wider than ever, it is an open question as to how, and how long, we will endure as one people.

After World War II, our judicial dictatorship began a purge of public manifestations of the “Christian nation” that Harry Truman said we were.

In 2009, Barack Obama retorted, “We do not consider ourselves to be a Christian nation.” Secularism had been enthroned as our established religion, with only the most feeble of protests.

One can only imagine how Iranians or Afghans would deal with unelected judges moving to de-Islamicize their nations. Heads would roll, literally.

Which bring us to the first culture war skirmish of the Trump era.

Taking sides with Attorney General Jeff Sessions against Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, the president rescinded the Obama directive that gave transgender students the right to use the bathroom of their choice in public schools. President Donald Trump sent the issue back to the states and locales to decide.

While treated by the media and left as the civil rights cause of our era, the “bathroom debate” calls to mind Marx’s observation, “History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce.”

Can anyone seriously contend that whether a 14-year-old boy, who thinks he is a girl, gets to use the girls’ bathroom is a civil rights issue comparable to whether African-Americans get the right to vote?

Remarkably, there was vigorous dissent, from DeVos, to returning this issue to where it belongs, with state and local officials.

After yielding on the bathroom question, she put out a statement declaring that every school in America has a “moral obligation” to protect children from bullying, and directed her Office of Civil Rights to investigate all claims of bullying or harassment “against those who are most vulnerable in our schools.”

Have something to say about this column?
Visit Pat's FaceBook page and post your comments….

Now, bullying is bad behavior, and it may be horrible behavior.

But when did a Republican Party that believes in states rights decide this was a responsibility of a bureaucracy Ronald Reagan promised but failed to shut down? When did the GOP become nanny-staters?

Bullying is something every kid in public, parochial or private school has witnessed by graduation. While unfortunate, it is part of growing up.

But what kind of society, what kind of people have we become when we start to rely on federal bureaucrats to stop big kids from harassing and beating up smaller or weaker kids?

While the bathroom debate is a skirmish in the culture war, Trump’s solution — send the issue back to the states and the people there to work it out — may point the way to a truce — assuming Americans still want a truce.

For Trump’s solution is rooted in the principle of subsidiarity, first advanced in the 1891 encyclical Rerum Novarum by Pope Leo XIII — that social problems are best resolved by the smallest unit of society with the ability to resolve them.

In brief, bullying is a problem for parents, teachers, principals to deal with, and local cops and the school district if it becomes widespread.

This idea is consistent with the Republican idea of federalism — that the national government should undertake those duties — securing the borders, fighting the nation’s wars, creating a continental road and rail system — that states alone cannot do.

Indeed, the nationalization of decision-making, the imposition of one-size-fits-all solutions to social problems, the court orders emanating from the ideology of judges — to which there is no appeal — that is behind the culture wars that may yet bring an end to this experiment in democratic rule.

Those factors are also among the primary causes of the fever of secessionism that is spreading all across Europe, and is now visible here.

Consider California. Democrats hold every state office, both Senate seats, two-thirds of both houses of the state legislature, 3 in 4 of the congressional seats. Hillary Clinton beat Trump 2-to-1 in California, with her margin in excess of 4 million votes.

Suddenly, California knows exactly how Marine Le Pen feels.

And as she wants to “Let France Be France,” and leave the EU, as Brits did with Brexit, a movement is afoot in California to secede from the United States and form a separate nation.

California seceding sounds like a cause that could bring San Francisco Democrats into a grand alliance with Breitbart.

A new federalism — a devolution of power and resources away from Washington and back to states, cities, towns and citizens, to let them resolve their problems their own way and according to their own principles — may be the price of retention of the American Union.

Let California be California; let red state America be red state America.

NRA Life Member

Capital punishment means never having to say, "You again?"

Posts: 4135 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: October 14, 2005Report This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
The dipshit Dan Grilo who sent that disgusting tweet has been fired! Woo Hoo!

http://www.foxnews.com/politic...dow-fallen-seal.html

A former Hillary Clinton volunteer drew swift condemnation -- and lost his job -- after mocking the widow of a fallen Navy SEAL who was honored by the president during his congressional address Tuesday night.

Dan Grilo, who said in his Twitter profile that he was a former volunteer for both Hillary Clinton and President Barack Obama, made the remarks after Trump paid tribute to Carryn Owens. She is the widow of U.S. Navy SEAL William “Ryan” Owens, who was killed in a counterterrorism raid in Yemen last month.

“Our veterans have delivered for this nation—and now we must deliver for them,” Trump said, eliciting an extended standing ovation from the entire chamber for a visibly emotional Owens.

“Ryan died as he lived: a warrior, and a hero – battling against terrorism and securing our nation,” Trump said.

While widely regarded as the most powerful moment of the night, Grilo was not impressed. Responding to a tweet from L.A. Times reporter Matt Pearce, who noted that Owens was crying and overwhelmed, Grilo tweeted:

“Sorry, Owens' wife, you’re not helping yourself or your husband’s memory by standing there and clapping like an idiot. Trump just used you.”

The tweet quickly zipped around social media as commentators on both sides of the aisle were outraged by the swipe. Donald Trump Jr. called the tweet an example of “hatred from the other side."

Hatred from the other side. I would think this is beyond what a human is capable of saying to someone, but it's not!

Grilo followed up, apologizing for what we called a “poorly worded tweet.”

Grilo’s account soon went private, and was then deleted entirely. But the tweets were saved and archived by other Twitter users.

Grilo’s LinkedIn page says he works as a principal for the Chicago-based Liberty Advisor Group. But as of Wednesday morning, Grilo’s profile page on the site had been deleted, and the company later confirmed that an employee had sent what they called "an offensive and inappropriate tweet" regarding the Gold Star family.

In a statement, the company said that while the message was from his personal account, "his comments were inconsistent with the Company's values."

"Regardless of whether the comments in the tweet were intended to cause the hurt and anger that they ultimately generated, they were unacceptable to us, and the individual who issued the tweet is no longer affiliated with Liberty," the statement said.

Posts: 4059 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Vaya con Dios, worm.

“poorly worded tweet."? Jeez, these slugs think they can spin everything.

{waves}

Buh-bye now!!

Posts: 109088 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
My feeling is that these acts of antisemitism aren't by Trump supporters.

quote:
Originally posted by Paragon:
A Jewish friend of mine on Facebook was lamenting about how no leaders have addressed the issue of these recent attacks on cemeteries and Jewish centers. I guess she didn't listen to the speech last night because I'm pretty sure I recall Trump addressing exactly that.

I hope they find the people responsible for these attacks.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4359 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The squeaky wheel gets the grease:

https://twitter.com/search?q=d...serp%7Ctwgr%5Esearch

Cool

Everyone there is calling him an "Ahole". Is it not allowed to say "asshole"? on Twitter?

Dude is gonna have to move to Bolivia (that's a country in Central or South America). Razz

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

posted Hide Post
The news about Jewish Cemeteries being attacked and Jewish Day Care Centers and schools being threatened was brought up at the beginning of his speech!

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Report This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paragon:
A Jewish friend of mine on Facebook was lamenting about how no leaders have addressed the issue of these recent attacks on cemeteries and Jewish centers. I guess she didn't listen to the speech last night because I'm pretty sure I recall Trump addressing exactly that.

I hope they find the people responsible for these attacks.

And when they do, they need to be called out for what they are....Violent & Intolerant Left-Wing Extremists!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9440 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Report This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
I emailed to a number of DEM politicians that the white outfits were creepy.

I told them it looked like the Stepford Wives or the Jim Jones cult.

They dressed n advance and rushed out so they wouldn't be late for the cleansing.

Posts: 16183 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Report This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
“Our veterans have delivered for this nation—and now we must deliver for them,” Trump said, eliciting an extended standing ovation from the entire chamber for a visibly emotional Owens.

Um, no.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6897 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
The dipshit Dan Grilo who sent that disgusting tweet has been fired! Woo Hoo!

Great news, there is a price to pay for assholia.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Report This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Ok, didn't the Klan dress in white?

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26758 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Report This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Vaya con Dios, worm.

“poorly worded tweet."? Jeez, these slugs think they can spin everything.

{waves}

Buh-bye now!!

Spinning like Madonna's "Blow up the White house and everyone in it!"

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Report This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

https://www.c-span.org/video/?...int-session-congress

C-Span always has the best coverage and a transcript while the video will be there forever. Enjoy on a bad to realize that Donald Trump stepped forward at a critical junction of this countries history.

Posts: 11894 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I wanna know why you can't say 'asshole' on Twitter. There are certainly enough of them on that site.

Does Common Core not cover the subject of human anatomy?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I wanna know why you can't say 'asshole' on Twitter. There are certainly enough of them on that site.

Does Common Core not cover the subject of human anatomy?

Because (being inorganic) Twitter bots lack assholes, and are thus offended by the reference. Must not offend the radical bot armies. They might declare digihad.

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17564 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Report This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:
quote:
Originally posted by AzMikeCFD102:
HRC and Bill are getting drunk at the moment, trying to drown their sorrows.

Doubt it. I bet Bill is on Underage Island and Hill is in her cryo-preservation chamber.

Is it a chamber bought from the Michael Jackson estate?

I instantly had the same exact thought...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29906 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

Skeletor is looking rough......

Posts: 14158 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by darthfuster:
Skeletor is looking rough......

DAMN!!!!

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You guys are new, right?