SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US is monitoring Chinese spy balloon that has been floating over Montana for the past several days
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 36
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US is monitoring Chinese spy balloon that has been floating over Montana for the past several days Login/Join 
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:
LAZER.
Yea...where's that 747 with the laser in it?

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
There does seem to be some history about “weather balloons”. Roll Eyes

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Reading LOTS of speculation online that Biden Administration knew about and have been tracking the balloon for days; that they chose not report it to prevent any controversies about the upcoming China trip and perhaps having to cancel or delay. Their hand was forced when reports of the sightings began hitting the internet. I don’t have any trouble believing this scenario; I just wish the government would stop acting like ‘we’ are morons.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
I think it’s much ado about nothing but I would have shot that SOB down as soon as it crossed our boarder in Alaska.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
It surely had a purpose.
Its purpose was to collect information.
What type of information is the only thing in question.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
I think chbibc's post (w Rittenhouse pic) shows a good look at the payload hanging under the balloon.

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:
LAZER.
Yea...where's that 747 with the laser in it?

its in the boneyard in Tucson Arizona.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Reading LOTS of speculation online that Biden Administration knew about and have been tracking the balloon for days; that they chose not report it to prevent any controversies about the upcoming China trip and perhaps having to cancel or delay. Their hand was forced when reports of the sightings began hitting the internet.
Sounds correct to me.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Directed or useful ground surveillance with a free balloon—? Someone ’splain that to me?

Winds aloft are going different directions at different speeds. The long distance path can be fairly well controlled, though not for precision bombing. But plenty precise for electronic intel collection and other surveillance.

I've seen hot air balloons do amazingly precise navigation using altitude changes to find the correct wind direction. I've seen more than one balloon pilot land in the bed of his truck after flying around for an hour.

Posts: 9445 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
And that speculation, not surprisingly, appears to be 100% correct.

Biden administration tried to hide Chinese spy balloon from American public

President Biden and his administration knew for nearly a week that a Chinese spy balloon was hovering in U.S. airspace — but kept the incursion secret, fearing it would derail Secretary of State Antony Blinken’s planned meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping in Beijing.

Republicans expressed “outrage” over the president’s refusal to act.

“Communist China’s surveillance balloon violates international law and threatens our homeland,” Rep. Nicole Malliotakis (R-Staten Island) told The Post.

“It’s an outrage that the Biden Administration spotted this balloon days ago as it was flying over the Aleutian Islands and did nothing about it,” she said. “The president has not even made a comment about this unacceptable act of aggression by the CCP.”

The politics of the looming 2024 presidential election also played a role in Biden’s actions, sources told Bloomberg, with the fraught US-China relationship expected to be a central foreign policy issue.

Team Biden became aware of the balloon on Jan. 28, Bloomberg reported, when it was spotted over Alaska.

The US military tracked it as it flew into Canadian airspace, then re-entered American skies on Tuesday. The next day, Biden received a detailed briefing on the balloon and its course, attended by Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mark Milley.

Sources told Bloomberg that Milley and Austin argued against shooting the craft down due to the danger its debris could pose to the public. Biden initially wanted it destroyed, but acquiesced, according to the report.

https://nypost.com/2023/02/04/...campaign=android_nyp

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was passing over upstate SC this morning.
Kinda surprising how visible it was.

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Since it's over the ocean now can we finally shoot it down?

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Biden initially wanted it destroyed, but acquiesced, according to the report.

I call bullshit. Biden is a retard; he can't make decisions. Some else decided.

Why not destroy it when it was over Alaska? How long was it over Canada? Not a peep from them? Clueless or stupid? Layers upon layers of stupid.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:

What about the fishes? The coral? Do you hate hump back whales or something?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My speculation:
Eventually China will invade Taiwan. The current balloon flight (and there have been others, reportedly) is being used to gather information to see if balloon carried EMP or biological weapons could be used to hinder our response to the Taiwan invasion.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At this point in history I don't see much difference in the believability of the Chinese government or the Biden Administration, or the JCOS.

It is entirely possible that this is a normal weather balloon that went adrift and because it wasn't a threat the U.S. did nothing but track it. Shooting it down would create an "incident", so the military said, let it go.

Once people saw it, they decided to make up a "spy balloon" story TO DIVERT ATTENTION from Hunter's admission that the laptop is real, the fact the Joe is nearly broke and took a $250K equity line on his home because there is no more 10% going up to the "big guy". And because Republicans in the House will investigate Joe's China ties and potentially expose the endemic Biden family corruption.

Hunter and Joe were in bed (literally) with the Chinese. Now after criticizing Trump's China tariffs and "China Virus" comments, Biden has to show he is "tough on China" and divert attention from the fact that he was bought by China. Now that he is going against what he was paid to do, Chinese will not be very happy and may actually do something to expose him...

I do think it's likely that China is funding a lot of the "woke" agenda at Universities, special interest and activist groups, and media to destabilize the US in their effort to make the RMB the world reserve currency and become the #1 superpower.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:

What about the fishes? The coral? Do you hate hump back whales of something?

Hey, balloons bring joy to kids, why not fishes? Everybody likes balloons! Big Grin can't be any worse than all the trash NJ and NY have dumped in there for generations!

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post