SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US is monitoring Chinese spy balloon that has been floating over Montana for the past several days
Page 1 ... 33 34 35 36
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US is monitoring Chinese spy balloon that has been floating over Montana for the past several days Login/Join 
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Herro, Barroon, this is base, do not fry row over Missouri. Too many redenecka hirrbirrys there. Smile

(Karens, I pre-apologize for my inconsiderate textual representation of English as a second language. I will report for my requisite flogging first thing in the morning.)

Posts: 10750 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
do not fry row over Missouri.

Last one didn’t have a problem flying over Missouri. It flew right over my house. Flew right over my house long time.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it just me, or is this becoming an annual Chinese New Year event to let ballons go astray over the Pacific?

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Flew right over my house long time.

What's the Jason Aldean song say?

"Attempt thus in a rural locale" Big Grin

Posts: 10750 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
The U.S. is tracking a small, high-altitude balloon that is drifting across the country but poses no threat to national security, U.S. officials and the military said Friday.

"Poses not threat", huh? How in the actual fuck do they know that?

Jesus H. Christ on a bicycle! Can we PLEASE get some people in charge who give a fuck about national security? Mad

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I’ve known for 60 or more years that sooner or later the Commies would get me.
I don’t know if they’ve tried recently, but one report said the thing had also been reported over Colorado, and I was outside several times today.

I’m probably doomed now. Frown

Anyone want an old stereo setup? (The guns are mostly spoken for.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Dibs on the tube amp Big Grin

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
Hello I am Weather Balloon! Any problems getting across the border?

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
The U.S. is tracking a small, high-altitude balloon that is drifting across the country but poses no threat to national security, U.S. officials and the military said Friday.

"Poses not threat", huh? How in the actual fuck do they know that?

The pilot looked inside the box and it was full of stars?

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12180 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I know our enemies scan our military bases and missile sites with satellite. I don't like these balloons as I suspect they're providing capability the satellites cannot provide.

In oil & gas we acquire "imagery" from both satellite and planes. The difference between plane/helicopter/balloon and satellite means higher resolution by acquiring imagery in lower levels of atmosphere, beneath clouds, etc. We're using former military technology and don't know capabilities of current military technology. When I say imagery, I am not just a talking about pictures/video, it's the use of FLIR, the use of thermal, the use of LIDAR, imaging technologies that can detect itty bitty gas leaks, imaging technologies that can detect metal below the surface, etc. On the processing side of things, the algorithms are amazing at finding minute change (eg erosion).

Funny story time. About 9 years ago we were looking at an oil and gas project in a sparsely populated portion of North America. It was true green field work and nobody had any soil data for this remote area. It was rugged terrain with discontinuous permafrost so we really wanted something that could cover a large area for screening without having to build roads to do intrusive geotechnical investigation. We identified a new technology that could be mounted to helicopters or small fixed wing planes that could classify soil layers. We got the contract set-up, our contractors got it mounted to a helicopter, and the scanning in a grid pattern commenced. 911 received numerous calls for a helicopter with a torpedo flying around suspiciously. The sensors were long and cylindrical so they looked like a torpedo and nobody thought to contact the sheriff’s office and state trooper’s office ahead of time.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
These balloons could be collecting and relaying intel from the thousands of military aged Chinese males that have entered our country illegally.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
Dibs on the tube amp Big Grin

Back in the day it was thought the old Russian tube equipment could withstand the EMP of nuclear blasts better than our solid state equipment.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
So is it still flying or has it drifted into Canada?

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our First Look At Possible Spy Balloon Wreck Found By Alaskan Fishermen
quote:
Fishermen recently found what very well could be the remains of a propeller-equipped spy balloon and turned it over to U.S. authorities.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post