SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US is monitoring Chinese spy balloon that has been floating over Montana for the past several days
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 36
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US is monitoring Chinese spy balloon that has been floating over Montana for the past several days Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
You all are worried about this. I have to ask you all, how many of you have cameras inside and out of your house that you can keep track of your property while being away from it?

Well don’t you think China wants to do the same with their properties? Thousands of acres, meat packing plants, Houses in Delaware.

Brilliant post.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
[url=https://postimages.org/][/url]

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That seems to be just about right.

Posts: 107578 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
It's the start of a massive...well, something!

Pentagon says another Chinese spy balloon is traveling over Latin America

Pentagon spokesperson Brig. Gen. Pat Ryder said 'it is another Chinese surveillance balloon'.

"We are seeing reports of a balloon transiting Latin America," Brig. Gen. Pat Ryder, a Pentagon spokesperson, told Fox News Friday night. "We now assess it is another Chinese surveillance balloon."

Fox News

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16348 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
All your Minutemaid Base are belong to us!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
The chair is against the wall.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Fu Manchu has a long mustache.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I am Weather Balloon!
Picture of I am Weather Balloon!
posted Hide Post
Oh, it's dark up here.

OK, good night, America! I see you tomorrow!

Actually, I see you now.

You should close your robe.

I am Weather Balloon!

Posts: 16 | Registered: February 03, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Time to break out the EM-50.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Man this story sound familiar. Real or maybe from a movie?
Perhaps you are recalling Japanese actions during WWII, when they sent balloons that reached the western half of the United States.

They sent balloons carrying containers filled with millions upon millons of fleas infected with bubonic plague (or anthrax, I can't recall).

They also managed to kill a half dozen American civilians by dropping a bomb from one of these balloons.

The Japanese balloons that reached the US carried incendiaries.

One of those was found to have gotten as far as Farmington Michigan, on the west side of the city. Landed in a garden of a house on Gill Road.

I can’t post a direct How the Japanese bombed Michigan during World War II
November marks the 75th anniversary of a mostly unknown chapter of WWII — an attack on the U.S. with bomb-laden balloons, two of which landed in Michigan.

Keith Matheny
Detroit Free Press
Published 9:00 AM EST Nov. 14, 2019 Updated 9:10 AM EST Dec. 15, 2019 link to the story but you can probably find it (damn iPad!)

How the Japanese bombed Michigan during World War II
November marks the 75th anniversary of a mostly unknown chapter of WWII — an attack on the U.S. with bomb-laden balloons, two of which landed in Michigan.

Keith Matheny
Detroit Free Press
Published 9:00 AM EST Nov. 14, 2019 Updated 9:10 AM EST Dec. 15, 2019

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
One would think a state governor would have the authority to activate his or her National Guard and send fighters up to shoot the thing down, but so far none have done it.

Posts: 27952 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:

One of those was found to have gotten as far as Farmington Michigan, on the west side of the city. Landed in a garden of a house on Gill Road.

I can’t post a direct How the Japanese bombed Michigan during World War II

Here is a link https://www.freep.com/in-depth...balloons/4111349002/

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1365 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
OMG!!! Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin I am Weather Balloon has me laughing to tears. Bravo!

"No Gopher, just flashlight".

Posts: 11385 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Late to this thread and unable to read the whole of it.

Just learned there’s another balloon somewhere over South America.

Why don’t have this second one suffer a “catastrophic accident “ and let’s find out what it is made of?

I won’t tell, and i trust you guys won’t tell either. Just between us, right? Wink

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It’s been a while since I made a comment based on pure speculation, so here’s another:

How many military operations have been preceded by numerous overflights, feints, movements, exercises, etc., that didn’t immediately lead to anything, only to be followed up with one that did? Will we (and others) become accustomed to seeing these things floating over head all the time, and then why? (You saw it here first. Wink )

As a serious question, though, how does anyone control a free balloon? Height, yes; direction, how? Some gross changes are possible by how it sits in different wind patterns, but that’s pretty iffy and it can’t fly against the wind.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Seems to me that these are likely meteorological surveillance balloons.

Flying directly over the middle of the U.S. gathering information on weather, the earths magnetic field and other such information to calculate the best altitude and strength for nuclear blast to generate desired EMP effect.

I lean towards thinking this is not about spying on military bases and missile silos.
Shoot it down and the Chinese will say yep, just like we said a meteorological balloon.

Perhaps mutual assured destruction is not the desire of the Chinese Communist Party.
Perhaps, they would rather retain useful land to take over.

If a nuclear bomb explodes near the ground the bomb irradiates the surrounding dirt creating a large amount of fallout.

On the other hand, if a nuclear bomb is detonated a reasonable distance above ground, the fallout is greatly decreased, and the blast radius is increased.

In the case of an extremely high altitude detonation, damage to structures is minimal, however, an EMP (electromagnetic pulse) is created, which may damage unprotected electronic equipment. The strength of the pulse depends on the earth's magnetic field in the area.

Balloons are likely for research on altitude and strength calculations, not traditional spying surveillance.

These balloons should have never been allowed to flay over our country.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2766 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
Seems to me that these are likely meteorological surveillance balloons.

That makes more sense than all the other speculation I’ve seen.
Directed or useful ground surveillance with a free balloon—? Someone ’splain that to me?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
"The airship is from China. It is a civilian airship used for research, mainly meteorological, purposes," a Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson confirmed Friday. "Affected by the Westerlies and with limited self-steering capability, the airship deviated far from its planned course."
So, China, exactly where was it supposed to go? Please, tell us.

Where was its launch point?

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LAZER. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post