SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hurricane Helene
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hurricane Helene Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
And the tyrants rise up from the muck.

https://x.com/bryanlafonte/status/1840427845027553490

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30952 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Florida Statute 870.044 specifically states it only comes into effect if a state of emergency has been declared under Florida Statute 870.043:

Chapter 870 AFFRAYS; RIOTS; ROUTS; UNLAWFUL ASSEMBLIES
SECTION 043. Declaration of emergency.

870.043 Declaration of emergency.—Whenever the sheriff or designated city official determines that there has been an act of violence or a flagrant and substantial defiance of, or resistance to, a lawful exercise of public authority and that, on account thereof, there is reason to believe that there exists a clear and present danger of a riot or other general public disorder, widespread disobedience of the law, and substantial injury to persons or to property, all of which constitute an imminent threat to public peace or order and to the general welfare of the jurisdiction affected or a part or party thereof, he or she may declare that a state of emergency exists within that jurisdiction or any part or parts thereof.

If none of that is happening in the City of Okeechobee, then the Chief’s order is unlawful.

Feel free to call him up and ask then let us know what he said:

Donald Hagan
Police Chief
Phone: (863) 763-9781
Email: dhagan@cityofokeechobee.com

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

And as usual, the "bad" people will ignore the order completely, and the "good" people aren't going to be a problem in any case. More pointless feel-good liberal bullshit.

Posts: 7418 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
quote:

And as usual, the "bad" people will ignore the order completely, and the "good" people aren't going to be a problem in any case. More pointless feel-good liberal bullshit.

What’s the point of this? Is stopping gun sales for 21hrs going to do anything at all?

Posts: 1531 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Of course it's not going to do anything. I strongly suspect the city council wanted to get in on the act of issuing a state of emergency along with the state, county, and feds, but 870.043 was only avenue open to the city. I've posted 870.043 above, read it and then tell me if any of those conditions existed in the City of Okeechobee on those dates.

The city has a population of about 6,000. The mayor has been re-elected to the city council every single time for 40 years. The city council has elected him mayor every single time as well.

Here's the mayor explaining why he and then the council did not issue a proclamation recognizing Gay Pride Month which seems to go against the liberal bullshit narrative:

Link

Excerpt:

“OKEECHOBEE, Fla. —
June is Pride Month across the country and recognizes LGBTQ+ communities coming together and celebrate the freedom to be themselves.

And, while there are many local pride gatherings, one local city voted against recognizing Pride Month.

“Our community is a very conservative, very Christian community,” Okeechobee Mayor Dowling Watford said.”

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:

Fascists/totalitarians/authortarians either create crises, or use them, to vastly expand a centralized, more powerful national government: FDR did this in the wake of the stock market crash, LBJ did it during the civil rights upheaval, Obama did in the collapse of the federal government created housing bubble and the world's totalitarians have used a faked global warming crisis to destroy western civilization.

Posts: 8911 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m currently driving back to Raleigh after having spent the day in Clyde, NC testing a Power Transformer that was almost submerged during the flooding. It’s bad, it’s real bad. I saw a lot of homes that will not be salvageable. Families looking through the mud covered mess trying to recover anything they could. Cell service was extremely limited. People were walking up to the site all day asking about when power will be restored and the honest answer is we don’t know. Very sad to see.

Posts: 751 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
My daughter was staying at site 45 in Orchard Lake Campground near Saluda, NC when the rain and wind started. She decided to move to another site away from the large trees and power line. Shortly after moving, a large limb and power line fell where her tent would have been. She is very lucky.

She was able to leave this morning after the roads were cleared.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4878 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
I’m glad your daughter is safe, and I hate to play Sunday evening quarterback, but there weren’t any alternative locations for her besides a campsite?

Posts: 2348 | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
I’m glad your daughter is safe, and I hate to play Sunday evening quarterback, but there weren’t any alternative locations for her besides a campsite?

It was a trip she had been looking forward to for months. She and her friends book a year in advance.
They underestimated how bad it was going to be in that area of NC. The group of folks she was with are a pretty resourceful bunch.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4878 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This son of a bitch should be in prison Mad

https://x.com/saras76/status/1840583551957311834

Posts: 109162 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
How many times do we have to go through a hurricane of this level for the FEMA to understand what is needed and set up plans to get it there immediately, whether they ask for it or not.

Hint... if you don't need it, you can always put it back in storage. Another one will be along fairly soon.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38248 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ashe County (Jefferson, NC; West Jefferson, NC; Lansing, NC) & Watauga County (Boone, NC; Blowing Rock, NC) have been severely damaged by flood waters. Perhaps, second only to the Asheville area for overall catastrophe in North Carolina.

As an example, there are four different routes that could be taken to get to my son’s home from my home. We live approximately 8-9 miles apart. None of those four roads were passable Friday morning. Roadwork since then has made two of them crudely passable at slow speed. Communication channels are close to nonexistent. My son and many, many other residents still do not have power.

I had always imagined that being unable to reach family members in a time of disaster would be excruciating. I now know what that feeling was like.

Prayers for all that have been affected by this storm and catastrophic conditions.

Posts: 798 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I have read all seven pages and I may have missed it, but didn't we have a member who owns or owned a pet store in Boon NC and has anyone heard from him to see if they were okay?
My father in law is about 45 minutes west of Boon and the town he lives in was hit pretty hard,not sure how Boon made out.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2639 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you're referring to Jeff Yarchin?

He doesn't run the pet store anymore (retired, as I recall).

Yeah, it would be good to know if he and his family are doing okay.

Posts: 5030 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I wonder if Zelensky will give those billions back to help for this disaster. Roll Eyes

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3944 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My parents live in Franklin (Macon co). Haven’t heard from them since Friday when the cell towers lost power, they told my big brother they were fine when he talked to them that morning. They live almost on a knob outside of town. So there is no risk of mudslide.

Yesterday his cousin Joe was able to get from the Bryson City side of the county over to my dad’s (they live near Wayah mountain). Joe said the roads are finally opening up due to locals bring ing their chainsaws out and clearing trees. No power in the county, there is no city water. Both mom n dad and Joe have generators and can pump water from their wells, have plenty of food and supplies.

A fellow CG veteran runs a campground and she had posted pics of the Cullasaja had left the banks and was at her back door on Friday-before the hurricane hit.

They had 10” of rain on Wednesday night and 8-10” on Thursday due to a cold front moving in, so everything was already soaked.

Trees are down everywhere, there are no videos of Macon county as there is no power/internet.

Another high school classmate of mine had posted that the teens were living in the 1990s, no internet, riding to friends houses and leaving notes to meet at such and such. Lee got a projector going and played movies on the side of the house for them.

It will be interesting how the community perception of biden’s reaction and lack of assistance plays in the long run. Most locals have a mistrust of the .gov anyway-but this is gonna reaffirm that.

I think there will be more destruction than what is currently thought, and I’m sure the news cycle will bury this travesty.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11476 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
I think you're referring to Jeff Yarchin?

He doesn't run the pet store anymore (retired, as I recall).

Yeah, it would be good to know if he and his family are doing okay.

Thanks for thinking of us. We are well. We sold the pet store and retired a couple of years ago. In July we sold our cabin and moved to the Raleigh area.

Our old neighborhood is still without power and is not accessible. The town is wrecked. It's heartbreaking.

Posts: 12950 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
My friend was able to get to his daughter at Western Carolina from Atlanta. The university was ok as they have generators and their own water supply. Classes, as you can imagine, are cancelled for the week so she came home with them.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10594 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
friend lives just west (an hour or so) of Roanoke Va, and lost power, (Still out)

one of the gunshow vendors I see often is from jst west of him, and has had some flooding in the area, but he and his family are just out of power,

looks like Abingdon VA got some severe flooding

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10592 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post