SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hurricane Helene
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hurricane Helene Login/Join 
Picture of GASIGnut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Heres the live web cam on St George Island, at the entrance to Apalachicola Bay... Surfs up!

You can also go to the St George Lighthouse Cam

Link

Thanks for the link HRK. I had forgotten the SGi lighthouse has a live webcam now.

~ take advantage of today, & have no regrets
Carry On

Posts: 343 | Location: Apalachicola, FL | Registered: September 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
There was another Hurricane Helene, before most of us were born, and her development was on just about the exact same days in September, 1958:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Helene_(1958)

Hurricane Helene was the most intense tropical cyclone of the 1958 Atlantic hurricane season. The eighth tropical storm and fourth hurricane of the year, Helene was formed from a tropical wave east of the Lesser Antilles on September 21, 1958. Moving steadily westward, the storm slowly intensified, attaining hurricane strength on September 24. As conditions became increasingly favorable for tropical cyclone development, Helene began to rapidly intensify. Nearing the United States East Coast, the hurricane quickly attained Category 4 intensity on September 27, before it subsequently reached its peak intensity with maximum sustained winds of 150 mph (240 km/h) and a minimum barometric pressure of 930 mbar (930 hPa; 27 inHg). The intense hurricane came within 10 mi (16 km) of Cape Fear, North Carolina before recurving out to sea. Accelerating northward, Helene gradually weakened, and transitioned into an extratropical cyclone as it passed over Newfoundland on September 29. Helene's extratropical remnants traversed eastwards across the Atlantic Ocean before dissipating near Great Britain on October 4.

Posts: 8911 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Almost exactly a month before I was born.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39287 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
All is well here in Santa Rosa County. Good luck to all thats in its path.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10378 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:

There was another Hurricane Helene, before most of us were born, and her development was on just about the exact same days in September, 1958:
I was 21, stationed at NAS Chincoteague (Virginia). We had a bit of clean-up to do after the storm passed.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31451 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
For those of you that have radios that can receive the NOAA emergency alerts, you may want to tune in. My county EOC pushes alerts to cell phones, land line phones, and email. However, during TS Debbie, I used my GMRS with emergency weather alert capability to listen to the NOAA broadcasts directly and compared their information to the information disseminated through more main stream channels. The NOAA alerts were more frequent and more detailed. For example, a nearby county had significant tornado activity, and the NOAA broadcasts identified them several minutes before other sources, and would provide location information down to neighborhoods or nearest major intersections. In one case, a tornado was identified in a specific state park near my house. The mainstream notices typically only identify county, or portion of county. During significant activity, the alerts can be a bit annoying, but I rather my radio be going off than not know something I need to. YMMV

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 5012 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Looks like this thing may take an odd turn north west and park for a while. Spares eastern Virginia, but puts Nashville area at risk for flooding. Hope she gets the wind knocked out of her before that happens.

Be safe everyone.

Glad to see V-Tail has his supply priorities in order.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10362 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Getting pretty wet in Charlotte. Hoping we miss the high winds.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7161 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrDan:
For those of you that have radios that can receive the NOAA emergency alerts, you may want to tune in. My county EOC pushes alerts to cell phones, land line phones, and email. However, during TS Debbie, I used my GMRS with emergency weather alert capability to listen to the NOAA broadcasts directly and compared their information to the information disseminated through more main stream channels. The NOAA alerts were more frequent and more detailed. For example, a nearby county had significant tornado activity, and the NOAA broadcasts identified them several minutes before other sources, and would provide location information down to neighborhoods or nearest major intersections. In one case, a tornado was identified in a specific state park near my house. The mainstream notices typically only identify county, or portion of county. During significant activity, the alerts can be a bit annoying, but I rather my radio be going off than not know something I need to. YMMV

This is great advice. We’re currently losing our internet and cable TV, thank you Comcast! We’ve four tornado warning in the last hour including one within 1/2 mile from our house. The we are getting warnings via text and calls to our phones plus the emergency alert system on our phones, but the information isn’t specific as far as location.

Oh, there goes alert #5!

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
ELToro- How are you doing in your new home?

Pat

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3648 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GASIGnut:

Seeing the Eastward wobble convinced us to ride it out here.

Good luck, you are now staring down a Cat 4 storm.....

The SARNet is becoming active as the various EOC's are coming to life....

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 5012 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Had to put my swim suit on and pull the cars all the way up the driveway:

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Reed is poking the bear, as he does. I know some folks in Atlanta. Let's hope this thing keeps moving as fast as it is. 70-80 mph winds, flash flooding and tornadoes over the next few days. Be safe all.

Posts: 3601 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
South of Atlanta, in the last 24 hours I have emptied 9" from my rain guage. That ground is soaked, bad combo for high winds.

Posts: 3790 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Had to put my swim suit on and pull the cars all the way up the driveway:

Storm surge or just rain?

Posts: 9297 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Morganton NC here, just at the foot of the mountains. Our lake is already over the spillway with advance notice of possible 10 feet over flood stage. I work 911 in the county to the east of Morganton, and we're already experiencing trees and power lines down, and the wind hasn't gotten up yet. Looks to be an eventful night and I'm working with a short crew.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3637 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:Storm surge or just rain?

Storm surge, with the wind from the south which is the worst direction for us. The tide is rising, but the water seems to be holding steady. As the wind shifts to coming from the west, the water should recede.

Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
GASIGnut - you are insane if you don’t get out of Apalachicola immediately! I hope you’ve already evacuated. Good luck.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10543 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:
Morganton NC here, just at the foot of the mountains. Our lake is already over the spillway with advance notice of possible 10 feet over flood stage. I work 911 in the county to the east of Morganton, and we're already experiencing trees and power lines down, and the wind hasn't gotten up yet. Looks to be an eventful night and I'm working with a short crew.

I was in Rutherforton area earlier today, Broad river was already really really high

Posts: 1186 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:
ELToro- How are you doing in your new home?

Pat

High and dry. We’ve been here almost 3.5 years. We have had some tropical storms dump more rain and give us better thunder and lightning.

Tonight we had little drizzle this afternoon not even windy here. We had a Tri tip BBQ tonight it was so not windy and dry. I’m also in Santa Rosa county.

Prayers for my Florida and other southeastern brothers and sisters getting hit hard.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post