SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hurricane Helene
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hurricane Helene Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GASIGnut:
Standing-by in Apalachicola. As ‘new’ locals (2 years new residents), we’re observing the decisions of the locals. Most are at the ready for making that decision tomorrow lunchtime (Wednesday), with the expectation of landfall late Thursday evening. Hurricane party accomplished, now we get up early tomorrow and see what we see.

Dang man you’re gonna be ground zero. Please be safe, not sorry and bug out. Earlier rather than later don’t get caught in a traffic jam in an evac. The 15-20 foot predicted storm surge is no joke. May be a Cat 4 when it hits you or very near you.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just saw a few hundred linemen and cherry picker trucks from all over the Midwest and Eastern US staged in Pensacola. They are ready to roll Friday AM and get power started again

Posts: 4976 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Standing-by in Apalachicola. ... observing the decisions of the locals.

It's FL, so there's a 83.6% chance the locals are idiots.

I have a good friend in Port St. Joe just west of there, and he's been in Destin for a day now after moving/elevating/locking down everything he can. Apalachee Bay is directly in landfall target this morning.

You still there? If so, send pics about 7:00 p.m.!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12708 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
From NOAA

Apalachicola is Ground Zero for the storms eye, of course it could move some, but with the wind and storm surge it's not the place to be.

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
1 cubit = 6 headbreaths = 1.5ft

You got a source for a MST of gopherwood?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32053 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I'm sitting here 20 miles west of the Mouse in the first serious band watching my pool screen panels blow out.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Just talked to my brother in Lake County. Even way over there the roads were empty compared with the usual.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3633 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[quote]Just saw a few hundred linemen and cherry picker trucks from all over the Midwest and Eastern US staged in Pensacola. They are ready to roll Friday AM and get power started again

^^^^^^^
Seen that all too often.Our resources are quite vast. I remeber after a low end category Three storm I by some quirk of i still had power. An endless convoy of ANG vehicles made its way through the light mist. Heavy equipment and clearing the roads is job number one.
Lineman pull down an easy figures in a busy storm season

Posts: 17530 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I'm sitting here 20 miles west of the Mouse in the first serious band watching my pool screen panels blow out.

Hang in there, looks like that's the first big band, it should be gone by noon, it's still quiet here on the eastern front,

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
Why what happened?
I know the eeejits voted in 10 round mags but everything is the same from when I lived up there from 2008 till 2013....is it not.

quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
quote:
Originally posted by cyberphobia:
Yep Washington State looks more inviting every month.

Too bad their gun laws suck.

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
SIG 226R DA/SA
SIG 938 SAS SAO

Posts: 2419 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soflaac:
We're here in Tallahassee, lots attention being paid last night to this thing getting lot stronger, right now still sorting itself out. We'll see I reckon.

With the exception of a year in Korea, we've been in south or north Florida since 1986 so have seen a few storms. I don't think anyone in their right mind looks forward to the experience, other than our man Cantore and his merry band of attention seekers. As we all know of course. Wink

Head west young man, head west. Seriously, why do you want to ride that out? Hopefully you have a generator, or you are ready for a week or more of misery.

Posts: 3547 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
FYI, our old friend Steve 220ST and a weather nut has taken off from his home to shelter elsewhere for this storm. He lives right in the path.

Best of luck to all who'll be affected by this storm.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39287 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The choice to stay or go is all about properly assessing the risk. For example: I’m 100% sure my wife would kill me if I chose to stay with a CAT 4 hurricane barreling towards me.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
Head west young man, head west. Seriously, why do you want to ride that out? Hopefully you have a generator, or you are ready for a week or more of misery.

I work on a national telco account, in south Florida I & other vendors were paid to man critical site(s) during the storm, which means we're used to riding these out. Not trying to indicate that as a virtue, btw. If I'd tried to get my wife to take the kids out of town and be here solo, she's never have done it.

The big difference I've seen here in north vs. south Florida is virtually everyone down south has hurricane shutters for their windows - here I see almost none. To me the loss of power for days was not as bad as having to drive in heavily populated cities with major traffic control damage along with no power or gas anywhere.

We are prepped with all the necessities with the exception of a generator - that I've never bothered with.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1974 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Seems Atlanta is going to be in the path.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34419 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why what happened?
I know the eeejits voted in 10 round mags but everything is the same from when I lived up there from 2008 till 2013....is it not.

quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
quote:
Yep Washington State looks more inviting every month.

Too bad their gun laws suck.

Ban on the Sale of Assault Weapons

Effective April 25, 2023, Washington prohibits the sale, manufacture, and import of assault weapons in Washington state while allowing reasonable exemptions for manufacture and sale to law enforcement and the military. The legislation does not prohibit the possession of assault weapons. Washington joined nine other states to adopt similar legislation banning these weapons.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3633 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
allowing reasonable exemptions for manufacture and sale to law enforcement and the military
Well, how benevolent of them. Roll Eyes

Posts: 9297 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Oh well, any Port in a storm. Razz

Nicely done, V-Tail. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TigerDore,

Posts: 8911 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GASIGnut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Standing-by in Apalachicola. ... observing the decisions of the locals.

It's FL, so there's a 83.6% chance the locals are idiots.

I have a good friend in Port St. Joe just west of there, and he's been in Destin for a day now after moving/elevating/locking down everything he can. Apalachee Bay is directly in landfall target this morning.

You still there? If so, send pics about 7:00 p.m.!

I don’t disagree with you regarding Florida locals.
Today we are still here in Apalachicola. About 50% headed west to Panama City or Destin and even Pensacola. We’re about 20ft above sea level at our house.
Seeing the Eastward wobble convinced us to ride it out here. Mainly because trying to return home tomorrow or within a few days even may prove impossible if roads/ bridges are flooded.

~ take advantage of today, & have no regrets
Carry On

Posts: 343 | Location: Apalachicola, FL | Registered: September 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don’t disagree with you regarding Florida locals.

Today we are still here in Apalachicola. About 50% headed west to Panama City or Destin and even Pensacola. We’re about 20ft above sea level at our house.

Seeing the Eastward wobble convinced us to ride it out here. Mainly because trying to return home tomorrow or within a few days even may prove impossible if roads/ bridges are flooded.

You are one crazy sun of a beach.....

The predictions are that the eye comes ashore around 10 PM, when it's dark and you can't see shit. Water should already be pushing up the coast and into the waterways.

Good luck hope you made the right decision, best get that generator out and see if it will run because there's 100% chance the power will go out being in the direct path of the eye...

Heres the live web cam on St George Island, at the entrance to Apalachicola Bay... Surfs up!

You can also go to the St George Lighthouse Cam

Link