SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hurricane Helene
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hurricane Helene Login/Join 
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scsigs:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:
Morganton NC here, just at the foot of the mountains. Our lake is already over the spillway with advance notice of possible 10 feet over flood stage. I work 911 in the county to the east of Morganton, and we're already experiencing trees and power lines down, and the wind hasn't gotten up yet. Looks to be an eventful night and I'm working with a short crew.

I was in Rutherforton area earlier today, Broad river was already really really high

Went camping in NE Tenn and came back to Atlanta via Asheville, Waynesville, and Franklin. That area already got a bunch of rain on Tuesday and Wednesday.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10594 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I'm betting this will be the worst flooding here in the last 50 years or more. I'm not being dramatic either. My house is 50 years old and has never had water in it before. I got water in my garage which is only 4 inches lower than the house floor. The water was behind the rear tire on the minivan pictured on the previous page.

It's in front of both tires now, so it seems to be receding.

Edited to add:
The water is down at least 6” from its high point, the wind isn’t going to get any stronger, the tide is going to stay about the same until 5am, and I’m tired.

Good night and stay safe.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
So what was the final storm surge level in the Big Bend area? It was supposed to be 15 to 20 feet. I can't find it.

Trapper, Glad to hear that your home is safe!

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5526 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Tampa folks, if I might ask, at what point did the surge start to subside? We lost power at about 1130pm last night and the water was just about to the top step of our front door.. no power yet so we are unable to see if it made it into the house. From everything else I see online, it looks bad. I hope everyone weathered this safely.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5506 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
We lost power around 8:30pm last night and it hasn’t been back on.

Posts: 13314 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tallahassee hosts its own power plant and they advised 75k without electricity for now. Looks like I10 was blocked in both directions with trees down for a while.

In our portion of the city, other than lots of wind & rain we came through unscathed. Very thankful.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1974 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
We dodged any real damage where I am in NE GA.
Lots of rain but the estimates of 80 mph+ wind gusts ended up more like a few 30+ and just smaller tree debris and leaves.
We needed the rain, just not all in a day or so.

Posts: 9833 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We lost power at 7:30 last night, and got it restored around 2 AM. We had some serious wind here but not much rain and no flooding. The wind took the stop sign at the end of our street and downed some large tree limbs, but thankfully the damage appears to be limited. I'm glad that I put up the storm shutters on our enclosed patio. We actually had debris impact on them last night.

Posts: 781 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
So what was the final storm surge level in the Big Bend area? It was supposed to be 15 to 20 feet. I can't find it.

It's a fairly uninhabited coast, not much in the way of beach area, small towns and little if any recorded information. May take a bit to determine what the totals are, wind, water, etc.

TV showed pretty high water in the Tampa Bay area, all around had up to 7 ft surge, plus that came at high tide to compound it.

We were lucky, very little rain, and lots of wind, they said only 27 mph but it was higher than that at times...

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrDan:
I used my GMRS with emergency weather alert capability to listen to the NOAA broadcasts directly
Any you would recommend? Asking for a friend (really!) who lives on the Florida panhandle.

Posts: 9297 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Crazy stuff hurricanes, check out the St George Island web cam from the Blue Parrott, like nothing happened last night....

Link

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
This is about the same report I received from my mom. She is about 45 minutes North of Tampa.

quote:
Originally posted by HKAngusKL:
We lost power at 7:30 last night, and got it restored around 2 AM. We had some serious wind here but not much rain and no flooding. The wind took the stop sign at the end of our street and downed some large tree limbs, but thankfully the damage appears to be limited. I'm glad that I put up the storm shutters on our enclosed patio. We actually had debris impact on them last night.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5799 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Just saw video from Boone, NC. Looks like Venice Italy right now.

Posts: 13843 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
Originally posted by DrDan:
I used my GMRS with emergency weather alert capability to listen to the NOAA broadcasts directly
Any you would recommend? Asking for a friend (really!) who lives on the Florida panhandle.

The alerts are broadcast on your local NOAA frequencies between 162.400 and 162.550. My local one is 162.550. I have some cheap blister pack Motorola radios my wife bought at Sam's Club. The model is T261TPG. The key feature of these radios are that, regardless of what channel I may have my radio tuned to, when NOAA sends an emergency alert, the radio emits a loud beep and automatically switches to the NOAA channel.

Here is info on some radios from NOAA Weather radios

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 5012 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Power just came back on at noon, it's been out since 04:14 so about 8 hours in the dark. I consider us lucky. Jackson County btw.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7652 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
They just put a warning out that the Lake Lure, NC dam failure is immanent. Get out of there.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7161 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
https://x.com/Mrgunsngear/status/1839701848602587175

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6373 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:

Tony.

I’m supposed to fly down in four weeks for a charter fishing trip and spend multiple days out of Steinhatchie….not sure that’s going to happen.
Brief report from Sea Haag Marina is lots of damage, saw a video from a friend who lost her house and you can see water marks on buildings at around the 20 foot mark…..she stayed ppl had moved stuff to their second story floor in anticipation of storm surge….second floors have layers of mud left behind trashing the objects ppl had hoped to save

Posts: 3161 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Steinhatchie

Drone video of the area at link

Link

Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Just saw something saying they are evacuating downtown Newport, TN due to imminent failure of the Waterville Dam?

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16230 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post