SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Global War?
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 45
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Global War? Login/Join 
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
posted February 26, 2022 07:35 PM Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
And spell out he acronyms at least once.

WTF = Whiskey tango foxtrot

TFB RE: TLA‘s XYZ PDQ

Just out of curiosity, is English not your native language?

^^^^^^^^^^^
Troll.

No. Genuinely curious.

Wasn’t meant to be offensive.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

CPAC
Confused

CPAC - Conservative Political Action Conference
https://cpac.conservative.org/

It's a pretty BIG thing... Wink

President Trump is in fine form tonight.

Oh shit! Do I need a link?

We aren’t trying to piss you off. But if you are reading a story it’s common courtesy to copy the link. I searched for the article and got about 10 suspect links to crappy sites before finding the link I posted. It’s a pain in the ass to go google every article mentioned here.

Now as far as CPAC I don’t see any reason you need to spell that out. We should all be aware where our President is speaking.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12446 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Appears that Putin will certainly invade now. I’m at 97% likely.

Does this create the attention gap that China needs to move on Taiwan?

What will be our role?

And BTW, you were correct. Wink

Wink

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By googling the info, one can judge the possible veracity of the info based on the sites reporting.
Posting a link drives traffic to a web site.

Headline
Joe Biden asks Canada to invade so he can get a bump in popularity. Was going to ask Mexico, but that happened years ago

I really would not trust much info coming out now. Just like any other day of spin

Just teasin

Posts: 1408 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Relax, just post the link next time.

I guarantee you I’m far more relaxed than you. Big Grin

Why are all y’all imputing your own feelings on to me? Isn’t that called projection?

Not so sure about that first statement.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20838 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Relax, just post the link next time.

I guarantee you I’m far more relaxed than you. Big Grin

Why are all y’all imputing your own feelings on to me? Isn’t that called projection?

Not so sure about that first statement.

Fair ‘nuff Smile

~Robert A. Heinlein

Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
Japanese billionaire Hiroshi Mikitani donates ¥1 billion to Ukraine

quote:
Japanese billionaire Hiroshi “Mickey” Mikitani said Sunday he will donate ¥1 billion to the government of Ukraine, calling Russia’s invasion “a challenge to democracy.”

The founder of e-commerce giant Rakuten Group Inc. said in a letter addressed to Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy that the donation of ¥1 billion ($8.7 million) will go toward “humanitarian activities to help people in Ukraine who are victims of the violence.”

Mikitani said he visited Kyiv in 2019 and met with Zelenskyy.

“My thoughts are with you and Ukraine people,” Mikitani said in his letter.

“I believe that the trampling of a peaceful and democratic Ukraine by unjustified force is a challenge to democracy.

“I sincerely hope that Russia and Ukraine can resolve this issue peacefully and that Ukraine people can have peace again as soon as possible,” he wrote.

Russia’s invasion has prompted broad financial sanctions from major democracies while individuals and organizations across the world have solicited donations to help Ukraine.

The Japanese government has also announced sanctions on Moscow including freezing assets and banning key exports such as semiconductors to organizations related to the Russian military.

Posts: 5759 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
So, Vlad the bare chested has put his nuclear forces on "HIGH ALERT".

Hopefully a bluff, but if this doesn't wake NATO and the non-NATO European countries up, nothing will.

We can hope it is a bluff, but he may just be paranoid enough to use tactical nukes in Ukraine. Appears things are not going his way right now.

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20324 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Appears things are not going his way right now.

And regardless of whether things are going his way. I cannot believe that whether they are or aren’t going as well as he’d like that the final result isn’t obvious. Nevertheless, he has more to worry about than what’s happening in Ukraine. He could decide to pop a nuke or two just to say to the rest of the world, “See: I’m serious about you not interfering. Don’t start none and there won’t be none.”

Just as I have watched recent events in Canada through the lens of the early events described in The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, I am thinking now of all the histories I’ve read about events leading up to many wars. Very often the people who were caught up in them were stunned when they happened: “We thought it was all bluff and bluster, and never would actually occur.” I’m seeing many similarities between today and the many thens, and even though things ultimately die down more often than not, sometimes they don’t.

And part of the danger now is the leadership in the West. People who have no experience other than being politicians and bending with every political wind often make bad decisions—and that assumes that there could be any good decisions at this stage of things. World War II in Europe didn’t start because of single decisions made overnight. It took 20 years of bad decisions and non-decisions to make it possible. Plus, as T. R. Fehrenbach pointed out in his book This Kind of War about Korea, “To make a war, sometimes it is necessary that everyone guess wrong.”

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47412 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
If he's not bluffing about using nukes he's either insane or terminally ill and just doesn't give a damn.

Posts: 3466 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is my understanding that Russia and China both have nuclear capable hypersonic missles. The U.S. is still trying to develop them.

Posts: 12729 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Zelenskyy says Ukraine delegation ready to start peace talks

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy agreed to start peace talks with Russia, his office said Sunday.

Following a phone call with Belarusian strongman Alexander Lukashenko, Zelenskyy's office said he is ready to send a delegation to a meeting on the Belarusian-Ukrianian border near the Pripyat river.

The talks would be the first to take place since Russia invaded Ukraine. Zelenskyy's aides said the talks would be held "without preconditions."

"We agreed that the Ukrainian delegation would meet with the Russian delegation without preconditions on the Ukrainian-Belarusian border, near the Pripyat River," Zelenskyy said in a statement.

Belarus leader Lukashenko assured Zelensky that "all planes, helicopters and missiles stationed on Belarus territory will remain on the ground during the travel, negotiations and return of the Ukrainian delegation," according to Kyiv.

From https://www.dw.com/en/ukraine-...e-updates/a-60931396

Posts: 32543 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
The talks would be the first to take place since Russia invaded Ukraine. Zelenskyy's aides said the talks would be held "without preconditions."
So much for open defiance.

Posts: 107697 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's better to negotiate from a position of strength.

Russia has encountered stronger opposition than expected, has achieved lesser gains than expected, has suffered higher losses than expected, is experiencing more pushback at home than expected, and is running into major logistical issues with numerous vehicles reportedly having to be abandoned due to lack of fuel.

All of that works in Ukraine's favor, heading into negotiations now.

The situation may not be as favorable for Ukraine if they were to wait another week/weeks.

If nothing else, it gives them the opportunity to hear the Russian demands, and reject them outright, as a show of strength.

Posts: 32543 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

And regardless of whether things are going his way. I cannot believe that whether they are or aren’t going as well as he’d like that the final result isn’t obvious. Nevertheless, he has more to worry about than what’s happening in Ukraine. He could decide to pop a nuke or two just to say to the rest of the world, “See: I’m serious about you not interfering. Don’t start none and there won’t be none.”

Just as I have watched recent events in Canada through the lens of the early events described in The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, I am thinking now of all the histories I’ve read about events leading up to many wars. Very often the people who were caught up in them were stunned when they happened: “We thought it was all bluff and bluster, and never would actually occur.” I’m seeing many similarities between today and the many thens, and even though things ultimately die down more often than not, sometimes they don’t.

And part of the danger now is the leadership in the West. People who have no experience other than being politicians and bending with every political wind often make bad decisions—and that assumes that there could be any good decisions at this stage of things. World War II in Europe didn’t start because of single decisions made overnight. It took 20 years of bad decisions and non-decisions to make it possible. Plus, as T. R. Fehrenbach pointed out in his book This Kind of War about Korea, “To make a war, sometimes it is necessary that everyone guess wrong.”

I don't have a fraction of the reading of history books or the perspective you've achieved, but even to a simple man such as myself with an incomplete knowledge of history, these truths are painfully obvious. The similarities between the events leading up to world-shaping history and human tragedies of the past and events happening in real time before our eyes are both poignant and ironic.

I find myself repeatedly asking the question how can so many people, in so many countries, continually vote and support so many government leaders in making so many of the decisions that have resulted in so much tragedy and misery in the past..

I know at least some of the answers to my questions; personal ambitions, delusional quests for power and control, a collective and accepted ignorance to name a few...

...but I still find myself asking the question how can we find ourselves here again?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Modern Day Savage,

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
Sunflower seed lady has bigger balls than a lot of people I know.

Fortunate the soldier was not anxious to plug an old lady noncombatant. Depending on his orders (or not) he probably could have killed her w/out consequence. Yea, that lady has huge ones.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
So much for open defiance.
Not necessarily.

According to my Russian acquaintance:
quote:

Зеленский заявил, что не сильно верит в результат встречи с Россией в Белоруссии, но "пусть попробуют", это "хоть и маленький, но шанс"

Translated (by him):
quote:

Zelensky said he doesn't believe in a result of talks with ru in belorussia, but "let them try", this is "very small but still a chance"

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
So, Vlad the bare chested has put his nuclear forces on "HIGH ALERT".

Hopefully a bluff, but if this doesn't wake NATO and the non-NATO European countries up, nothing will.

We can hope it is a bluff, but he may just be paranoid enough to use tactical nukes in Ukraine. Appears things are not going his way right now.

As has been pointed out in this thread, links to news stories are expected. Something as important as this story should have a source.

[Note: embedded video and hyperlinks found at linked website article. I had previously linked to an audio interview of Rebekah Koffler, the former DIA intelligence officer quoted in the article below, in the other Ukraine thread.]

======================

Putin orders nuclear deterrent forces status raised to ‘special combat readiness’

Putin says 'NATO members made aggressive statements'

By Emma Colton | Fox News
Published February 27, 2022 8:55am EST

Russian President Vladimir Putin raised the alert status for his nuclear forces to "special regime of combat duty" as Russia and Ukraine battle for the fourth day.

Putin ordered the Russian defense minister and the chief of the military's General Staff to put the nuclear deterrent forces in a "special regime of combat duty." The move signals tensions could boil over into a nuclear war.

"He is right now threatening a nuclear escalation," said former DIA intelligence officer Rebekah Koffler. "This a veiled threat – or maybe such a veiled threat - he just met with his chief of general staff and minister of defense. He is escalating the conflict into the nuclear domain in order to de-escalate – that is topple Kyiv’s regime quickly."

Putin spoke at a meeting Sunday with his top advisers and said NATO powers had made "aggressive statements" and that the West was imposing hard-hitting financial sanctions against Russia and himself.

"Western countries aren’t only taking unfriendly actions against our country in the economic sphere, but top officials from leading NATO members made aggressive statements regarding our country," Putin said in televised comments.

U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Linda Thomas-Greenfield said Sunday on CBS's "Face the Nation" that Putin's order is an unacceptable escalation.

"It means that President Putin is continuing to escalate this war in a manner that is totally unacceptable and we have to continue to stem his actions in the strongest possible way," she said.

Putin warned last week that countries who interfere with his invasion of Ukraine will face "consequences you have never seen."

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Good grief. We're watching too much of our broken media. This is hysteria at this point.

Posts: 1974 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bdylan:
Good grief. We're watching too much of our broken media. This is hysteria at this point.
Who's "we," kemosabe?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post