SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Global War?
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 45
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Global War? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
For some folks here. Things never change. Enjoy

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Putin is escalating the fire power.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
Putin is escalating the fire power.

that's not good -- getting worse

--------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I presume the signature from a thermobaric weapon is unique and would be readily identifiable by our military satellite resources?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
So, I am not an expert by any means, but my understanding is that the TOS-1 buratino, which Russia classifies as a flamethrower, is an MLRS style system which fires thermobaric rockets. However, each rocket isn’t a particularly huge warhead. It is typically used by firing a volley of rockets to blanket an area rather than firing one large rocket. I don’t think a volley looks quite that large. Here is an older video of the system: https://youtu.be/q91yFP9E9Yg

That explosion could be a TOS-1, but it would be unusual to fire a single rocket, and the explosion looks larger than I would have expected. Whatever it was, that was a big boom.

- Bret

Posts: 2466 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
@ ensigmatic

No.

Thermobaric are designed to spread a large vapor/aerosolized cloud of flammable liquid in a manner that maximizes the Fuel/Air ratio and ignites it close the the ground.

The desirable effect is tremendous blast and overpressure to destroy structures and overwhelm combatants.

It is simply another explosion.

Think of it as an optimal fuel/air mixture in an engine's cylinder, and some "compression" occurs when the propagation of the explosion meets the resistance of solid ground and pressure rapidly builds from the way the blast and ground interact.

I think this was a bomb that hit fuel storage or gas line.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43884 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
@ ensigmatic

No.

It is simply another explosion.
Yes, but, from what I've read, it's an explosion with a unique profile. E.g. (Wikipedia):
quote:

In practice, the blast wave typically produced by such a weapon is of a significantly longer duration than that of a conventional condensed explosive.
quote:
I think this was a bomb that hit fuel storage or gas line.
Could be.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
This is getting more FUBAR by the minute and with no good end in sight.

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Well, if you have Wikipedia, why ask?

I descried the profile. It is actually a much slower "explosion" and does "appear different", since it is a propagation of flame very rapidly. And a "typical bomb" is a result of rapid combustion under compression, like a firecracker/firearm round that breaches the containment.

Unless the satellite information was geared specifically to evaluate it, it is unlikely to be detected.

Nuclear have a unique "double pulse" from the initial chain reaction, that is then "hidden" for a very brief time as the radiation matter obscures the initial reaction, until that reaction passes the obscuring matter.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43884 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^I'm gonna go with the monkey here...SIGforum's 'Banannapedia' if you will... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8887 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting fact: Mayor of Kiev is Vitali Klitschko, former heavyweight boxer. His brother is a former boxer as well. He was a very determined guy in the ring.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is getting more FUBAR by the minute and with no good end in sight.

^^^^^^^
I'm OK with it. At least it is a break from BREAKING NEWS AND unusual made up acronyms.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, if you have Wikipedia, why ask?
Just because it's different, doesn't necessarily mean it's a difference that can readily detected by our space assets, does it?
quote:
Unless the satellite information was geared specifically to evaluate it, it is unlikely to be detected.
Thus my question Smile

Picture of AzMikeCFD102
posted Hide Post
US Embassy: US Nationals Should Leave Russia 'Immediately'

The United States Embassy in Moscow made an announcement telling all U.S. nationals to leave Russia "immediately."

"An increasing number of airlines are canceling flights into and out of Russia, and numerous countries have closed their airspace to Russian airlines," a U.S. Embassy & Consulates in Russia security alert read Sunday. "U.S. citizens should consider departing Russia immediately via commercial options still available."

The alert comes after Vladimir Putin put Russia's nuclear deterrence arsenal at the ready, pointing to the sanctions being put in place by the U.S. and other NATO countries.

"This particular decision is not in response to the situation in Ukraine, not even what is going on in Ukraine right now, but as a response to American readiness to apply to sanctions," Andrei Illarionov, senior fellow at the Center for Security Policy in Washington, D.C., told Sunday's "Wake Up America" on Newsmax. "The situation now is unbelievably grave."

The move is "incomparable" to any nuclear threat the world has faced to date, and the U.S. and NATO must respond in kind immediately, Illarionov told co-host Amanda Brilhante.

"If the United States will not respond with adequate reaction to this decision, it means not only Ukraine but the whole Europe and at some point the United States will be under nuclear threat, direct nuclear threat," Illarionov said in a dire warning.

"That is why United States and NATO countries need to respond immediately, right now, to this nuclear blackmail of Putin."

Illarionov made an urgent call for the Biden administration to activate the U.S. nuclear deterrence arsenal.

"That should be exactly the same," he said. "It should be putting all nuclear arsenal of the United States and NATO on the highest alert – at least equal response to what Putin has done."

Additionally, a security alert one week ago warned Americans to "carry proper identification, including a U.S. passport with a current Russian visa," and to be on alert "in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners."

The alert also tells Americans to have "evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance."

"According to media sources, there have been threats of attacks against shopping centers, railway and metro stations, and other public gathering places in major urban areas, including Moscow and St. Petersburg as well as in areas of heightened tension along the Russian border with Ukraine," the alert read.

https://www.newsmax.com/world/...22/02/27/id/1058748/

MAGA

NRA
Gun Owners of America

Posts: 388 | Location: Tucson, Az | Registered: August 17, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
A few hours ago they announced that fighter jets would be sent to Ukraine as military assistance.

Now they say they will be flying "within the hour". Krauss is a senior advisor to the EU parliament.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
So are the Ukies coming to get the aircraft, or will NATO “civilian contractors” deliver them to Kiev? If NATO military pilots fly them into Ukraine, then Putin could say that NATO troops are actively involved, and that could ramp up things in a not good way.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Let’s Discuss Which Nations Could Donate ‘Fighter Jets’ to Ukraine

I wondered how the EU could donate fighter aircraft in which Ukrainian pilots could become proficient so quickly. That's how.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I wondered how the EU could donate fighter aircraft in which Ukrainian pilots could become proficient so quickly. That's how.

^^^^^^^^^
We do train foreign fighter pilots, namely the Saudis. A ton of them went through training at AFB in Florida. Do not know about Ukranians. Flying a jet proficiently involves ongoing training.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Doesn’t matter how many planes they get, having drivers is the issue….and I’m not sure foreign zoomie operators (from NATO countries) is gonna be ok in Vlad’s playbook.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:...Just because it's different, doesn't necessarily mean it's a difference that can readily detected by our space assets, does it?
Ah. Correct. While I believe it could be, it really serves (intel) any useful information, but a nuclear event, is a biggie (intel wise) for breakout countries, test treaty violations and all that jazz.
quote:
...Thus my question Smile
Gotcha Smile