SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any way to encourage women to be on-time, for social events?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any way to encourage women to be on-time, for social events? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
It was not being late that bothered me. It was the pre-departure preparation ritual that was hard to endure. Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16198 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
I've been seeing a lovely woman, but she's chronically late. Right now, I've asked that she just let me know when she's about 15 minutes from being ready to be picked up - her place is not far from mine.

Is there any known method to get a woman to be more sorted, or is this just one of those things I have to tolerate?

It's just something you -- er, um -- WE tolerate. There's a lot of good advice in this thread, but in my opinion you have a handle on it already. Asking her to let you know when she's ready puts the responsibility and control in her ballpark, without being harsh/mean/negative about it. While you wait, take a few of those minutes and remind yourself that she's lovely, and take great joy in that.

God bless America.

Posts: 13578 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
Its extremely easy. Tell them to show up an hour earlier than the event.
Once you do that a couple of times, they get wind of it, and then they know you're lying to them.

How's that gonna work out for you?

Posts: 108095 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
There was an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond that dealt with this. He set an AIS time - an "ass in seat" time. Give her the AIS time and when that time comes leave whether her ass is in the seat or not.

See if it works out better for you in real life than it did on a SitCom, and let us know. Big Grin

I know it was a comedy, but when I saw that episode, I was cheering Ray on! I was thinking, "All right! Debra will either learn from this experience, or she'll forever be in the wrong." Then, Ray, being a weakling, chickened out and crawled back begging forgiveness for only keeping his end of the bargain.

Nevertheless, that episode showed that tardiness on the part of women is a universal thing.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10737 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is not universally true. My wife and I make it a point to be ready when we say we will be and leave an event when we plan to. This has been true since we met over 30 years ago. Being late is disrespectful to all involved.

Posts: 8981 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Brad Paisley did a video about this with a pretty famous actor.
"Waitin on a woman"

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54861 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
This is not universally true. My wife and I make it a point to be ready when we say we will be and leave an event when we plan to. This has been true since we met over 30 years ago.

That's not what OP is asking. Everyone knows that there are women who are always on time. He's asking, for those who are always late, is there some way to get them to change their behavior. And the answer is, not bloody likely.

Q

Posts: 26767 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Today we have to be at the airport at 0900. We got up at 0430, it is now 0505. Airport 2+ hours away and we are leaving our house at 0600.

Will keep you posted Big Grin

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1399 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MelissaDallas:
Well, I am early to everything. My ex-husband was always late. Can we broaden the discussion?

Good to see a lady's perspective.
Lucky for me, my wife is usually ready on time.
Unfortunately, in getting ready on time, she often leaves a trail of messes and all the lights on, etc. It kind of pisses her off when I go around locking all the doors and turning off all the lights she left on while she's waiting to go.
But... I'll take it.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24269 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We generally agree on what time we should be leaving for some event.
I will walk out the door 5 minutes (approximately) ahead of time. I do this to get the car from the garage and be ready for her to walk up and get in. We often leave on time this way.
When we discuss departure times I call it “Rolling”. This means it is the time I would like us to be in the car and it is actually moving. Similarly, if I am home bound and texting her when I am actually moving, I might say “Rolling in 2” (minutes).

Being a US Navy veteran, we were not to be late to anything. We might have to wait when there, but we weren’t late.

Driving anywhere I try to give myself extra time. I never know if there will be road construction delays, accidents or if I might need to change my route for some strange reason. Additionally, as the bladder seems to shrink with advancing age, there are more frequent stops at the occasional gas station/quick mart.

I find no joy in rushing in at the last minute and having no time to settle, collect my thoughts and adjust to the coming event. Kind of the stress you might feel running to catch the train as it is rolling out - not pleasant.

I think Jethro Gibbs said it best on one of the episodes of NCIS - “If you’re not early, you’re late”.

Posts: 2138 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any way to encourage women to be on-time, for social events?

No

But when she says "Sorry WE were late" I let it be known it wasn't "WE"

It has helped some

Posts: 5384 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I will tell her we need to leave 1/2 earlier than we need to.
I let her shower first get make up on, etc. I will get ready last to help my impatience. She ready by the time Im ready.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3889 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
Its extremely easy. Tell them to show up an hour earlier than the event.
Once you do that a couple of times, they get wind of it, and then they know you're lying to them.

How's that gonna work out for you?

It still works on my mom. Every time I give her the real time, she's late. She's early or on time with the hour rule.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7101 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MelissaDallas:
Well, I am early to everything. My ex-husband was always late. Can we broaden the discussion?

Same here. I'm never late. I'm always waiting on my husband.

As far as getting anyone who is chronically late to change, I'm doubtful there's a way. It's hard to get someone to change a long established habit.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
And when you're finally in the car, the lady is still getting ready...those little mirrors keep them busy.

Posts: 2866 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
My girl is also one of those who cannot manage time to save her life.
I spoke with her about how punctuality is very important to me and one of the things I won't budge on. Since that conversation she has made it a priority to make sure she is ready when we need to go and hasn't made me late a single time.
Had she sincerely spoke to me about something as important to her I'd do the same.

I would view anything else as extremely disrespectful to your partner.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
Professionally, I've had to do the "15 minutes late, and I'm gone" thing a couple times.

It's always worked well.

I've been seeing a lovely woman, but she's chronically late. Right now, I've asked that she just let me know when she's about 15 minutes from being ready to be picked up - her place is not far from mine.

Is there any known method to get a woman to be more sorted, or is this just one of those things I have to tolerate?

While women are, in my experience, more prone to this, I have know a fair number of men who are also often late.

The thing that might really work would also cause a lot of other problems. Establish a mental cut-off for "too late." If the person exceeds that, go without them, or leave and stop waiting for them. They may learn. Or they may cut you out of their life. But maybe you'd be happier anyway.

You could sit down and say, "Being 15 minutes late is really upsetting to me. When that happens, I feel stressed and like you don't care about my feelings about this. Please stop doing that." I guess you should try this first, but I don't know that it will work.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53143 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife is chronically late as well - when she asks when we need to leave I always say 30 min before we actually do and I start my prep according to the actual leave time.

She knows she always runs late - I don't think it's a selfish thing for her - in fact I'd say it's the opposite. She just stuffs WAY to much into the time she has - often for other people or she gets distracted easily. She has gotten better throughout the years as I've commented that she's planning too much for one day, but she still tries to stuff 10lbs of shit into a 5lb day.

I was raised that if you're 10 min early - you're late. I plan for those unforeseen little delays (oh your car is running on E? huh never thought that'd happen). Oh you need to use the bathroom even though we left 10 min ago? Oh you're thirsty/hungry even though I asked if you wanted something before we walked out the door? Instead of being mad/frustrated, just plan for it and roll with it. It doesn't 'cost' me anything and the benefits of her not being stressed are well worth it.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1753 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
There's always the Douglas Adams approach:
quote:
“Come,’ called the old man, ‘come now or you will be late.’
‘Late?’ said Arthur. ‘What for?’
‘What is your name, human?’
‘Dent. Arthur Dent,’ said Arthur.
‘Late, as in the late Dentarthurdent,’ said the old man, sternly. ‘It’s a sort of threat you see.”

Results likely to depend strongly on the significant other having a sense of humor.

Posts: 15066 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Are we talking about grown women here?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12488 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post