SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The BBQ Thread
Page 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 47
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The BBQ Thread Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
<<snip>>
They're adjacent cuts of meat from the front shoulder

Well alrighty then! Learn something new every day, or at least I try to. Never would have dreamed that the "butt" was from the front shoulder!!!

Thanks, Tator!

Posts: 4589 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
Boston Butt, Pork shoulder, Butt…all the same cut.

So a "Boston Butt" and a pork shoulder are the same thing???

I literally thought the butt was from the hindquarters, and the pork shoulder was... well... from the "shoulder" up front! Call me clueless! Wink

Can hardly wait to get my Masterbuilt "Gravity Series" 560 assembled so I can start smoking meats again!

Hindquarter would be a ham.

Posts: 12922 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So a "Boston Butt" and a pork shoulder are the same thing???

I literally thought the butt was from the hindquarters, and the pork shoulder was... well... from the "shoulder" up front! Call me clueless!

The Boston Butt is part of the shoulder, but it isn't the whole shoulder. The picnic is the other part.

Posts: 995 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaveL:
<<snip>>

The Boston Butt is part of the shoulder, but it isn't the whole shoulder. The picnic is the other part.

So if I go on a "picnic" with my family, I'm going on part of a pig's shoulder???

Sorry... couldn't resist! Wink

Posts: 4589 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am fully aware of that, but obviously not everyone is.

Posts: 6624 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
quote:

I wasn’t referring to you, I was responding to Bronciabill. I apologize if I wasn’t clear.

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
I have a wild caught salmon filet that I want to smoke on my pellet smoker.

I am diabetic and all of the brines that I can find have sugar in them.

With salmon I prefer to taste salmon and smoke..not a lot of spices.

Can I just straight up smoke this without brining?

I was thinking 225 until it hits a 160 internal temp?

Thanks all

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have a wild caught salmon filet
Here you go. Sugar is optional, you can leave it out:

Ingredients

1 lb lb salmon fillet

¼ cup Smoked Sea Salt , or any Kosher salt

2 tablespoons brown sugar , or white sugar if you don't have brown sugar (skip for keto lox)

Optional: A pinch of freshly ground black pepper or dried herbs such as dill or parsley

Instructions

Rinse the salmon and pat it dry with a paper towel. If it has skin, leave the skin on. If you feel any bones in the salmon while you are doing this, remove them - tweezers are useful for this.

Combine the salt and sugar (and pepper and herbs, if using), and rub the seasoning all over the salmon. You might have some extra seasoning that you haven't used up - if so, just place it on top of the salmon.

Get a large piece of plastic wrap. Place the salmon skin-side down. Wrap the salmon tightly with plastic wrap and place it in a container that has a lid. Cover with a lid and place in the fridge.

After 2-3 days, rinse the whole salmon under cold water. Thinly slice the salmon. Serve immediately, or transfer to a clean container, cover, and store refrigerated until serving.

Notes

Homemade lox will keep in the fridge for 3-5 days. (Fat chance! Or, as they say in Italian, "fette cianza." It would not last 3 days in my house.)

It's best to use a piece of salmon that is the same thickness all around. But it's OK if you can't find a piece like that - just use what you find.

You can cure the salmon for 2 or 3 days - there is some wiggle room here. However, it is best to stop curing and rinse off the extra salt just prior to serving the lox so that it is super fresh. The prepared lox will keep in the fridge for about 3 days in an air-tight container.

Oh, and what to do with that salted cured salmon skin?? Fry it like bacon!! It will turn crispy on both sides and will be SO DELICIOUS. Just watch out because it will splatter while cooking just like bacon does.

Skip the sugar for a keto-friendly version of this recipe. Serve with slices of cucumber and generous smears of cream cheese.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30682 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Thanks V Tail.

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:

Sorry I missed your reply earlier.

My preference is to smoke the chicken and ribs at 2 different temperatures. Ribs low and slow (210-230) and chicken at a higher temp (350-375) to get some crispiness on the skin - but maybe that isn't a factor in the competition. My prior attempts with chicken at the lower temps turned out OK, but lacked the crispy skin that I really like. I suppose one could argue that 350+ is grilling and not smoking though.

Sure I see what you mean. The pit barrel is a direct fire cooker so that will help there. The biggest issue that I see is getting the right amount of coals in the chimney to start the coal basket. I think I have it dialed in pretty well. This is an ammeter competition so I'm no too concerned. This is held during our towns annual festival so it will be a circus down there. I know a few of the judges from last year, and from what they said, 50% of the meat turned in was inedible Confused I'm just going to make the best meat I can produce and see what happens Cool

Jeff,

Please keep us posted on your salmon cook.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1733 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well alrighty then! Learn something new every day, or at least I try to. Never would have dreamed that the "butt" was from the front shoulder!!!

Thanks, Tator!

Start with a Boston Butt, the whole shoulder (Picnic Cut) contains the BButt, and more. It's larger and takes longer.

If your objective is pulled pork then, Boston Butt, Inject the night before, season, place in container in fridge, pull in the AM before putting on smoker let it come up to room temp or close, then on the smoker. Cook to internal temp of 205-210, remove and let sit, then pull.

Posts: 23461 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Ken I was wondering when you were going to get in this thread! Man that is one sweet smoker. Wish I had the facilities to do more metal work like that. Good to see your still cooking!

Posts: 1733 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
Ken I was wondering when you were going to get in this thread! Man that is one sweet smoker. Wish I had the facilities to do more metal work like that. Good to see your still cooking!

Thanks.

I haven't been checking in on my usual gun forums much lately. My jobs been eating up all my free time, so I mange to check in here and in the hobby machinist forum about one a month. I just happened to spot the BBQ thread this time.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
quote:

I wasn’t referring to you, I was responding to Bronciabill. I apologize if I wasn’t clear.

No problem....we're good.

Posts: 6624 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
My 20 year old Weber gas grill is done and needs to be replaced.

It prefer made in the US.

Are any of my invisible friends using a Napoleon gas grill?

Any suggestions? Thanks all.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
SIL just bought one at Ace, good looking and they put it together, fired it up once, did great, not using it much as they are in the process of building his grilling deck still.

Here's the new area, posts, beams and privacy wall in, shrubs coming out, whole area will be pavers with the grill, smoker, pizza over etc.

Posts: 23461 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Here is my spot.

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Your spots are looking good guys. I don't have a good suggestion for a gas grill. I would suggest you look into grill grates if you don't already used them though. We trenched in a water line and electrical to the shack yesterday.