SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The BBQ Thread
Page 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 47
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The BBQ Thread Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
Came out decent. Too sweet for me so I’ll try something else next time.

What did you coat the chunks with after you cut the roast up??

Posts: 6617 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
I wrapped at 160, pulled and cut up at 195. Put in a pan and sprinkled on brown sugar and rub then poured a 50/50 mixture of Blues Hog and beef broth and covered the pan. It stayed on another hour like that. Then I uncovered and drained some juice and let them tack up.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:

Are you limited to using one smoker for the competition? If so, I would think that would be difficult.

You can bring whatever smoker you want to bring. My offset is too big to haul down there easily. The pit barrel will do fine. Guess I am not sure what you foresee being difficult? You thinking I won't be able to fit it all on there?

quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:

Yoder 640 and BGE XL
bone in is all I cook haven't found that magical temp to get crunchy skin?

Maybe some BGE/pellet smoker pros can weigh in on how they do chicken. I have never used either. That being said what grate temp are you cooking at?

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Ran into a snag. One of the 20' 6 x 6's had a crown and a twist in it. One of the selling points of this lumber was how straight it is Mad Nothing they can really do until that beam is in place. At least they got started. Hopefully we will finish this up by end of the month.

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
quote:

Are you limited to using one smoker for the competition? If so, I would think that would be difficult.

You can bring whatever smoker you want to bring. My offset is too big to haul down there easily. The pit barrel will do fine. Guess I am not sure what you foresee being difficult? You thinking I won't be able to fit it all on there?

quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:

Yoder 640 and BGE XL
bone in is all I cook haven't found that magical temp to get crunchy skin?

Maybe some BGE/pellet smoker pros can weigh in on how they do chicken. I have never used either. That being said what grate temp are you cooking at?

350 with skin side up
Been using only "air chilled chicken" don't know if that makes a difference ?
This is on my Yoder

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
^^^^ same here, on my Yoder. 350F, skin side up. A spatchcock chicken takes a bit more than an hour this way.

Posts: 12920 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post

Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
X,
Some serious looking vittles there
Life's too short to eat elsewhere when you cook like that

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
We were just talking about that last night, it's hard to find a restaurant that can do anything even close to this meal, around here anyway. BTW that was fresh sweet corn from my neighbors garden. Probably some of the best sweet corn I've ever had.

posted Hide Post
X you did yourself proud with that meal.........makes me hungry!!

Posts: 6617 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The most important thing I’ve found is to have the skin very dry before starting. Putting it on a sheet pan in the refrigerator for at least a few hours before cooking, if not overnight, helps tremendously.

Beyond that, crispy skin is essentially the result of it being fried so think of it that way. A bit of oil under the rub and cook at temps in the frying range, not the smoking range (375 ish). Putting the bird on a rack to get it higher in the dome (BGE) seems to help a little. Finally, I’ve used corn starch on wings and it works very well. Never tried on a whole bird though.

Posts: 995 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Sorry I missed your reply earlier.

My preference is to smoke the chicken and ribs at 2 different temperatures. Ribs low and slow (210-230) and chicken at a higher temp (350-375) to get some crispiness on the skin - but maybe that isn't a factor in the competition. My prior attempts with chicken at the lower temps turned out OK, but lacked the crispy skin that I really like. I suppose one could argue that 350+ is grilling and not smoking though.

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I've seen several options in this thread so far, but must ask the following question since I got a new smoker and soon will be trying it out:

What is THE most common cut of meat to use for making "pulled pork"? It seems a pork shoulder or pork butt are the most common, but is there a "best"?

Thanks, and keep the pictures and details coming!

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
The shoulder, or butt is the cut to use for pulled pork

posted Hide Post
I usually always buy a Boston Butt roast. I have never been disappointed with the outcome.

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Boston Butt, Pork shoulder, Butt…all the same cut.

posted Hide Post
I use a "bone-in" butt. This is a "butt" that I cooked last night into today. Took off at 200 degrees internal, wrapped and put in cooler for two hours and then shredded. Always "good eats"!

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 812 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:

So a "Boston Butt" and a pork shoulder are the same thing???

I literally thought the butt was from the hindquarters, and the pork shoulder was... well... from the "shoulder" up front! Call me clueless! Wink

Can hardly wait to get my Masterbuilt "Gravity Series" 560 assembled so I can start smoking meats again!

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:

I literally thought the butt was from the hindquarters, and the pork shoulder was...

well... from the "shoulder" up front! Call me clueless! Wink

Can hardly wait to get my Masterbuilt "Gravity Series" 560 assembled so I can start smoking meats again!

It's all the shoulder

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:

I literally thought the butt was from the hindquarters, and the pork shoulder was... well... from the "shoulder" up front! Call me clueless! Wink
They're adjacent cuts of meat from the front shoulder

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post