SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The BBQ Thread
Page 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 47
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The BBQ Thread Login/Join 
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Those beef ribs look excellent Jeff!

Did my first cook Saturday in the new digs. 2 whole spare ribs. I also purchased a surface read thermometer and realized I have probably been cooking about 50 degrees hotter than I thought. Ribs turned good! They are finishing the roof finally today.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1720 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:

Did my first cook Saturday in the new digs. 2 whole spare ribs.

You eat your ribs with a knife and fork? Big Grin

Posts: 33572 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 1720 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
Another weekend, another brisket.

6 lb choice grade flat from Costco. Cooked for about 9.5 hours total. Most of the time the grill was at approx 225 degrees, but once internal temp got to 180 I brought the grill temp up a little over 300 degrees and got the brisket to 203 internal.

Last time I cooked it fat side down. This time I cooked it fat side up. The juices from the melting fat made for some mouth watering brisket. When no one in the entire family of 4 asks for BBQ sauce and everyone eats the brisket as is, I think it is a success.

Posts: 2279 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
Another weekend, another brisket.

Nice smoke ring!

With good BBQ, you don't even need much, if any sauce.

Posts: 33572 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Fine looking brisket!

Not BBQ but I have a new flattop and am loving this thing.

Doing smash burgers tomorrow night.

Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I don't always think to take pictures when I'm cooking. But I did two 12lb briskets, 10 racks of loin back ribs, and a dozen cajun and a dozen kielbasa sausages yesterday for a end of season men's golf league party. Many of the members were friends that were in the grocery business when I was working in our distribution business and I have known over twenty years.

I haven't seen many of them since I retired over four years ago. I smoked the food at home starting the briskets at 6am and then putting ribs on at 11 and the sausage at the end. Serving time was at 7pm at the golf course club house about 10 miles from the house. Everything went great.

Point I'm trying to make is I had the time of my life visiting again with friends I haven't seen for some years and people who have helped make our distribution business a success over the years and allowed me a comfortable retirement. I sometimes forget what a meaningful and important part food brings to bringing friends and families together. Had they not reached out to me to BBQ for this event I may have gone who knows how many years without seeing some of these folks again.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you had a great time, glad to hear it! Post some pics of your cooks next time Big Grin

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
The weather has been so good here lately. Wish it could like this all year round. My brother and his wife came to visit yesterday. Had Ribs and chicken.

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Did some ribs on a lazy hungover Sunday. On the LSG offset, cherry and oak wood.

Some of the most juiciest ribs I've made.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12403 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Did some bacon yesterday. Using the AmazingRibs calculator, I wet brined for almost 3 days, then rinsed and soaked in clean water for two hours.

Then smoked in the Bradley with 50/50 apple and hickory. Two hours each at 150F, 160F, and 170F to an internal temp of 150F. Only the first four hours had smoke.

Fridged overnight and sliced this morning.

Very tasty. The smoke is perfect and the salt is just right. Could use more pepper though.

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks excellent Gustofer and Xantom I love your entire set up and you turn out some awesome product! Everyone posting is displaying some awesome talent. Gustofer do you belong to the pay to play forum on Amazing Ribs?

I’m sitting up at the lake on a absolutely gorgeous fall day. Smoking the last two pork buts I had in the freezer for some pulled pork. Getting to be about beer time!!

Posts: 8500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just ordered a Rectec 1250 this morning. Can’t wait for it to get here……

Posts: 2156 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Gustofer do you belong to the pay to play forum on Amazing Ribs?

No, I don't. I just get information and the occasional recipe off of there. Not sure it's worth $35/yr.

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Gustofer do you belong to the pay to play forum on Amazing Ribs?

No, I don't. I just get information and the occasional recipe off of there. Not sure it's worth $35/yr.

It’s not. Believe me.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Did some ribs on a lazy hungover Sunday. On the LSG offset, cherry and oak wood.

Some of the most juiciest ribs I've made.

If you don't mind, could you give me the particulars that you used on those rids?

Temp

Duration

Did you wrap them

When did you apply the sauce

Thank you....they look awesome and make my mouth water!!

Posts: 6599 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Sure GT...

They were done on my Lone Star Grillz Offset. As I mentioned, wild black cherry and oak wood were used on a bed of charcoal briquettes.

The ribs were a 3 pack from Costco, the all natural ribs (I forget the brand). I guess they sell some "extra tender" ribs that have been brined. I would not use them.

Anyhow I only salt and pepper the ribs for the first part of my cook. My temp average on these was about 250 give or take 25 degrees.

Unwrapped, 4.0 hours. Then dusted with my homemade rub, which is just paprika, smoked paprika, garlic powder, chili powder, onion powder (equal parts). Wrapped in pink buther paper.

Once wrapped they go back on (you can put them in an oven at this point if you prefer), at 250 again.

These particular ribs took extra long and I think they were back at 250ish for another 2.5 hours. I base it totally on how tender they seem. Temp wise the meat never got above 196. Seemed to stall at that temp but they were tender enough. Then again, measuring temp between rib bones isn't always super accurate.

During the last half hour I glazed 2 racks with a sauce I made that has my rub, some tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, and a bunch of pure maple syrup. I left one rack unglazed for me as I'm doing the low carb thing.

The differences for me in this cook were the paper instead of foil wrap. I was really happy with this. Also putting the rub on so late. I found my rub tastes a bit muddy (if that makes sense) after smoking for 4 hours. I decided that I want the fresh bright flavor of my spices so tried this method and I have to say I'm quite happy with it.

The smoker (propane is only a log burner to start the fire).

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12403 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I have never tried wrapping my ribs during cooking, but I think that I am going to give it a try. Again, thanx for the particulars.

Posts: 6599 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
Did A Beer Can chicken on The Weber Kettle last night.
Basic Seasonings. it was very moist but lacked flavor all the Way through . Next time i think i will inject or Brine it.

Posts: 1594 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
My sister's birthday was over the weekend, so the family came over and after success with a 5lb and 6lb brisket I stepped up to a 10.5 lb piece.

Cooked it for just shy of 10 hours, up to 203 internal, never wrapped it. Wasn't quite as tender at the smaller ones that I cooked for 8ish hours, but was pretty close. The flavor might have been just a tad better though. And certainly the best smoke ring I have achieved.

Posts: 2279 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post