SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The BBQ Thread
Page 1 ... 44 45 46 47
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The BBQ Thread Login/Join 
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
Heat deflector question. I have an Egg, and I walked out that other day to use it and the heat deflector was completely cracked in half.

It's about 3 years old. Do these wear out over time? Since it is ceramic I am guessing there is no way to brace it back together?

Posts: 2291 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
Heat deflector question. I have an Egg, and I walked out that other day to use it and the heat deflector was completely cracked in half.

It's about 3 years old. Do these wear out over time? Since it is ceramic I am guessing there is no way to brace it back together?

I've had two end up cracking.
I decided to do away with their standard deflector to get their thingy that is a wire basket that holds two half ceramic deflectors as well as provides a rack.
Allows me to do the same as a full deflector if two half units are used or I can also utilize full heat on one side if one is used, useful in steaks or searing.
Something they should have made in the first place. Eek

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Do you buy yours precleaned/preskinned or do you have to do that?

I'm a big fan of chicken feet. I use them in my stock and soups. Very good for you and very tasty. Cleaning/skinning them can be a bit of a pain, but it's worth the effort.

We just buy the chicken feet from Walmart. Rinse them off and that's it. My wife enjoys eating them whole and biting off bits. I think the next time I make them, I'll either brine or blanch them to add some moisture before smoking.

I've heard that some Oriental markets sell them preskinned, but since I live in the sticks 500 miles from the nearest Oriental market, I grow my own.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:

I got my plate a year ago so no issues so far. I wonder if it has to with temps or just a failure in the casting. Hoping mine doesn't crack though.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
[IMG]BBQ Ribs https://imgur.com/a/6MV6CGI[/IMG]

Wish I knew how to make this work?

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:
[IMG]BBQ Ribs https://imgur.com/a/6MV6CGI[/IMG]

Wish I knew how to make this work?

When you upload your picture, you need to use the BBCode to share on the forum.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Two more hours. I think I know what heaven smells like. I’m so hungry.

Posts: 10940 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
I wonder if it has to with temps or just a failure in the casting.

I had cooked ribs, so the temp was only about 250 degrees when I shut everything down. When I went out two weeks later it was cracked completely through.

Posts: 2291 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Beef Ribs on the PBC today. SIG4EVA hope your job search is going well!

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Beautiful xantom and thanks for thinking of me! Its good. I need to post a number of recent smokes.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear it!

Charcoal and cherry chips. Finished in the oven. I really wanted to do these on the vertical but I didn't have a lot of time and it's raining/snowing here today too. These turned out really good!

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
How is cherry compared to apple?

Super day today to turn off the AC and open up the house. I’ve got some ribs going and apple wood smoke is now wafting through the house.

Posts: 10940 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I think cherry has much more pronounced smoke flavor than apple. I'm too stupid to verbalize it, but I really like cherry smoked chicken.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Cool. I'll give it a try. I've used oak and hickory and while both impart more flavor than apple, apple smells really good.

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Cool. I'll give it a try. I've used oak and hickory and while both impart more flavor than apple, apple smells really good.

Apple is more subtle than hickory or cherry IMO. I've heard people say you can over do cherry and hickory, but I have not ran into that problem and I mostly smoke with logs. It likely depends on the trees you have local to you. I do wish we had more pecan available here.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

Apple is more subtle than hickory or cherry IMO. I've heard people say you can over do cherry and hickory, but I have not ran into that problem and I mostly smoke with logs. It likely depends on the trees you have local to you. I do wish we had more pecan available here.

My opinion is hickory is way too strong for anything except chicken. Cherry is nice but has its own flavor unique to it. Apple/pear/other fruit trees all pretty similar. Pecan is my favorite as it has slight sweet flavor, great smokey flavor and pairs with anything for meatt or sides.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree on the pecan wood for some smoking.

Posts: 3596 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
I mainly smoke with oak logs, since I cut them myself. Occasionally, I will buy hickory, and much more rarely, mesquite. Mesquite is only used when I smoke a brisket, and even then, it is only about 50%, the rest being oak. There is a restaurant supply place that has a number of different woods for smoking, already seasoned. Cherry is something I would like to try, I just haven't made the trip down to buy some.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrDan:
I mainly smoke with oak logs, since I cut them myself. Occasionally, I will buy hickory, and much more rarely, mesquite. Mesquite is only used when I smoke a brisket, and even then, it is only about 50%, the rest being oak. There is a restaurant supply place that has a number of different woods for smoking, already seasoned. Cherry is something I would like to try, I just haven't made the trip down to buy some.

There's nothing wrong with oak as a base. There's no point in using anything past the first hour that's going to add to the flavor. Start with the 'premium/ideal' wood (or 50/50 with oak) at first then finish with oak for remainder. You'll still taste the difference as most of the 'smoke' happens on the front end.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post