SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The BBQ Thread
Page 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 47
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The BBQ Thread Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
What do you guys do with leftover pulled pork or leftover brisket?

There are tons of options. I divide it up, vacuum seal, put in freezer. Pulled pork with no flavor can easily be improved. Some vinegar based North Carolina type sauce is great. You can add a sweet bbq sauce like they tend to do at every damn place in my state.

Apart from that...

Gumbo
Tacos
Breakfast burritos
Empanadas
Soup
Brisket Stroganoff

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12423 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
I divide it up, vacuum seal, put in freezer.

I do the exact same thing. I usually put about a cup per package, seal it and freeze it. For reheating I found the best way is to toss the frozen bag in some boiling water for 10-15 minutes. When you pop it open it has retained all the moisture and flavor it did when you pulled it the first time. I am also a fan of Scotts BBQ sauce. It's an Eastern Carolina hot vinegary type. Delicious.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
George’s is where it’s at for NC bbq sauce…

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
quote:

We routinely cook more than we can eat. We seal and freeze our leftovers.

This ^^^^ is exactly what I do. I have a Food Saver machine that does a great job.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Great question on what to do with leftovers.. I like to do a lot of things. Quesadillas, tacos, and ramen for example.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I gave a tri-tip roast a shot on the Weber kettle. Used the Slow N Sear to reverse sear. Charcoal and a few chunks of cherry wood. I did this as roast beef, not like brisket. Medium/medium rare.

I got this and a bunch of stuff from Wild Fork Foods online. My first time buying their stuff. Decent prices, all frozen and vacuum sealed or flash frozen. I got some lamb chops, this prime tri-tip for about $11/lb. Not too bad. Free shipping for my first order. IIRC it's about $15 shipping generally and that's not too bad compared to other places. I may try to do one like brisket in the future.

This was really good. Sliced correctly it seemed like thick flank steak. Lots of flavor. Tender but with some bite. I am a fan. Don't see this cut much in Massachusetts. The few times I've seen it it has been cut up in pieces.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12423 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
That Tri Tip looks perfect frayedends. The Slow-N-Sear is a great tool. I just picked one up for my Weber Kettle recently. I leave my large smoker up at the lake in the pole barn during the winter months now so I'm getting reintroduced to using my Weber at home.

Never tried Wild Fork Foods I have heard mixed reviews on them. Tri Tip is a great cut of meat. I've been buying them from Creekstone Farms for a number of years now and have always been happy. If you watch for a sale you can get 3 prime grade Tri Tips for $78. If you want to take your next Tri Tip to the next level make it using a board sauce.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I will try some board sauces. I never even heard of that, though it makes perfect sense. I looked it up and found info on Amazing Ribs.

I’ll also keep an eye on Creekstone. Since they increased free shipping to $150 purchase I haven’t seen many deals I thought were worth it. Often items are like $74 so 2 of an item doesn’t get you to the $150. I do like their quality.

I love the slow n sear. Especially for short cooks like this. I only break out the offset for long bbq sessions.

These go to eleven.

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't see this cut much in Massachusetts.

Interesting you mention this. A few weeks ago my buddy in VA sent me some pics of a Tri-tip he was doing. Having spent a lot of time in CA he loves that cut. I said they are kind of hard to find on the east coast and he said he found a butcher in Fredricksburg that cuts it for him.

Why is it so big in CA?

ETA, I need to get a slow'n sear. I usually just pile the coals on one side but this seems more consistent and efficient.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

Confused I am not familiar with the concept of leftover brisket.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30646 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
George’s is where it’s at for NC bbq sauce…

I'll add Starnes BBQ sauce from Gods Country, WKY...

Link

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I gave a tri-tip roast a shot on the Weber kettle. Used the Slow N Sear to reverse sear. Charcoal and a few chunks of cherry wood. I did this as roast beef, not like brisket. Medium/medium rare.

Trip Tip is a wonderful cut!
I've done both brisket style and reverse sear steak style.
It is hard to choose which one.
They taste different but both fantastic.
Maybe a very slight edge to brisket style ... just going to try some more. Smile

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Never heard of such a thing!

Posts: 6455 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
That sliced Tri-Tip looks excellent. ^

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:

Tri-tip is not that common around here in PA, I’ve only seen it in Wegmans and tried cooking one on my Weber too and really liked it.

I have a question about this one: how long did you let that rest off the grill before slicing? They really need a good 15 minutes or so with a piece of aluminum foil loosely tented on top. That way you won’t lose so much of the juices.

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:

Tri-tip is not that common around here in PA, I’ve only seen it in Wegmans and tried cooking one on my Weber too and really liked it.

I have a question about this one: how long did you let that rest off the grill before slicing? They really need a good 15 minutes or so with a piece of aluminum foil loosely tented on top. That way you won’t lose so much of the juices.

Funny you should ask because I did notice so much juice coming out of it. Interestingly I did rest it over 15 minutes under foil. I was running behind on sides and actually was concerned it was getting cold. It was still warm and I was surprised at the amount of liquid.

These go to eleven.

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I am smoking a NewYork strip loin today. Just curious what you guys think on a few contentious opinionsSmile

Remove the fat cap? If no, fat cap up or down?

My plan is as of now is to trim the fat cap off. Use rendered bacon fat as a binder and season with my own beef rub. I will be cooking on my offset with hickory @ 250 - 275 grate temp, targeting 122. I will tent for 30 minutes before cutting/serving.

I will be serving with garlic mashed potatoes, steamed carrots and green beans, and creme brulee.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
If the fat cap isn't more than a half inch or so I'd leave it on and remove it just before serving. Or trim it down if it's excessive but I wouldn't entirely remove it. Let that fat cap baste the loin during cooking. Season the other side of the loin but no need to waste rub on the fat cap. You can add more seasoning after the cook if you wish. This cut would lend itself well to a board sauce just like a tri tip.

I always go with fat cap up. Your choice of sides are superb! I do a caramel creme brulee or sometimes orange. I love creme brulee as it allows me to use my fancy chef's torch! Big Grin

Edited to add. Something about bacon fat on beef does not excite me. Beef stands alone and the bolder the better. I will use beef tallow at times for this but pork on beef is something I don't think I would do.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
xantom, interesting ~ you can always cut the fat off and FAT IS FLAVOR.
Is this deemed to be sort of a prime rib type of eat?
At 122 it will be kind of rare and NY strip has less fat marbling than a ribeye - I wonder if the temp will be enough.
Don't let me change your mind - just a few questions?
I am sure it will be good if it is a good cut. Cool

On a side note: my last NY Strip loin I dry aged the entire thing (Umai bags) 40 days and cut them into 2" steaks. Smile

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Won’t the bacon fat just turn to liquid, fall off the meat, and take all your spices with it?

Along that same line of thought, fat side down so as the beef fat renders and falls off the meat, it doesn’t take your spices with it.

But I don’t have near the skills anyone else in the thread has.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post