SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The BBQ Thread
Page 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 47
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The BBQ Thread Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
To me, the “fat cap” on a New York strip is nothing like a ribeye and I remove it from either loin or individual steaks. It is too hard and just doesn’t render at all in my experience. It’s almost like the hard deckel in a whole brisket that you have to cut out.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12418 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I was intrigued by this guys use of bacon fat for the binder.

quote:
I do a caramel creme brulee or sometimes orange. I love creme brulee as it allows me to use my fancy chef's torch!

This was my first attempt at creme brulee. I made it yesterday. It was good but not great.

1. I didn't cook it long enough
2. I don't think I put enough sugar in the eggs.
3. I added too much sugar on top to my test cup. I can fix this for tonight, but the custard isn't where it should. Ramsay would spit this back in my face I'm sure Big Grin

How do you add the caramel or orange flavor?

quote:
xantom, interesting ~ you can always cut the fat off and FAT IS FLAVOR.
Is this deemed to be sort of a prime rib type of eat?
At 122 it will be kind of rare and NY strip has less fat marbling than a ribeye - I wonder if the temp will be enough.
Don't let me change your mind - just a few questions?
I am sure it will be good if it is a good cut.

On a side note: my last NY Strip loin I dry aged the entire thing (Umai bags) 40 days and cut them into 2" steaks.

Yes this is cooked the same way you would do a tri - tip, or a standing rib roast(Prime Rib). I have had no issues pulling at 125, the internal temp will rise while it rests. I've found that going much over 130 - 135 is too done.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:

Yes this is cooked the same way you would do a tri - tip, or a standing rib roast(Prime Rib). I have had no issues pulling at 125, the internal temp will rise while it rests. I've found that going much over 130 - 135 is too done.

I think that works, I would like a nice sear at the end.
Sounds good to me ~ I've done Tri Tip that way with great success.
> don't forget the pics < Smile

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I've found that when cooking low and slow, on a roast that usually doesn't need a sear at the end, the temp does not really rise while it rests. There just isn't enough carryover heat left when cooking at 250.

But in any case, for NY Strip, at least for steaks, I find they are done at a lower temp than ribeye. It seems to me a ribeye or prime rib roast at 125 is very floppy rare, whereas a NY strip is a bit more firm to begin with so is just fine at 125. I do NY strip steaks souse vide to 118 before a quick sear.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12438 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Interesting video. He says he uses a 60% pepper/30% salt blend. Canadian math?

At the end, he or his partner comment on how much pepper flavor there is. Salt does not disolve in fat or oil, so most of it dripped of as the bacon grease melted and none of it penetrated the meat. Letting it sit coated in fat, salt, and pepper didn't do anything either. Oil and water don't mix. Coating the spice in fat will prevent the moisture inside the meat from absorbing any flavor from the spices. I strongly suspect coating the meat in fat prevented it from absorbing any smoke as well.

Again, I don't really have a clue. I'm just thinking about it. In the interest of science, if I were you, I would do two of them. One with bacon fat and one without. Then, I would invite me over to do some blind A/B taste testing.

Posts: 10949 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I don't think I believe that fat won't absorb salt. After all I make bacon, mostly fat and it gets very salty. I'd also disagree that fat won't absorb smoke flavor. The fatty parts of my brisket are the smokiest. But that's just based on my experience.

Adding beef tallow on top of brisket is the new big thing in the BBQ world and there is a strong belief that it is Aaron Franklin's secret. On top of that, the guy that thinks that the most smokes his beef tallow. So it clearly absorbs smoke.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12438 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Try this, take a teaspoon of olive oil and mix a half teaspoon of salt into it. All I wound up with was a salt slurry that the salt settled to the bottom of. When I dipped my finger into the top of the olive oil and tasted it, it tasted like olive oil and had no salt taste.

My conclusion was none of the salt dissolved into the oil. I don't believe rendered bacon fat would produce a different result.

I'm watching the video now.

Posts: 10949 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I guess if you are talking about dissolving in pure oil that makes sense. But there’s a lot more going on in cooking meat. Moisture is coming out and absorbing salt. But you make a good point regarding his pre brine. The salt likely isn’t getting past the fat and drawing out moisture and being brought into the meat via osmosis. So all his salt flavor would come from cooking when the fat melts and salt gets on the surface. I mentioned bacon but again that’s more the salt being absorbed into the meat and fat after drawing water out. So you win on the salt issue. Big Grin

These go to eleven.

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Everything turned out excellent. The strip loin was a little rare for 1 person but it was so good. Hickory smoked beef is just fantastic. The creme brulee was much better the next day, not sure what happened between yesterday and today.

That fat cap peeled right off just like that canuk said it would Big Grin

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
?? Xantom !
What is on the plate wrapped in Bacon.
Looking for some different to us things for Sides at our Thanksgiving dinner

Posts: 1604 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
One of our guests brought them, Jalapeno/Apricot wrapped in bacon.

Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Tried my hand at chicken. Smoked with Hickory and Cherry. Came out amazing. Smoked hotter at 335 degrees to get a crispier skin and still super juicy.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
That looks excellent! I love cherry smoked chicken Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I prefer pecan for poultry, beautiful golden color and mild smoke flavor. Some of the woods can be a bit overbearing flavor wise.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I wish Pecan was native here.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Anybody Dry Age here?

I have dry aged a tenderloin in the past and recently did Strip Loin.
Both came out great.

Thinking of doing a brisket now.

I've been eying Prime rib cut (whole roast to cut into rib eye steaks) but got sticker shock at Costco yesterday at $36.00 a lb {gasp} Eek

On a side note at Costco ~ grabbed a Prime Tri Tip, Top Sirloin pkg and a block of Pecorino just to have to leave at the counter since they ONLY take VISA (and cash).
[rant] how the hell can they only take one card? [/rant off] Mad

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

On a side note at Costco ~ grabbed a Prime Tri Tip, Top Sirloin pkg and a block of Pecorino just to have to leave at the counter since they ONLY take VISA (and cash).

[rant] how the hell can they only take one card? [/rant off] Mad
It used to be only American Express. They dropped that and got in bed with VISA a few years ago.

You're a Costco member, so you're eligible for the Costco VISA card. Decent cash back. 4% for gas (anywhere, does not have to be at Costco), 3% for restaurants, 2% for everything except gas at Costco, and 1% for anything else.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Xantom, didn't see you're questions on the creme brulee until now sorry for the late response. For orange I add orange zest to the custard. Very simple. For he caramel I make the caramel (sugar and water) in a sauce pan and then pour the caramel equally into the bottom of the ramekins. It will solidify but that's fine. Then pour the custard over that and prepare as normal. Just before serving take a paring or other thin blade knife and run it around the inside of the rim of the ramekin loosening the custard from the ramekin. Then turn it upside down on a plate and it should release from the ramekin onto the plate with the caramel now on top. I like to take my chefs torch and warm the caramel so it runs down the side of the custard.If you really want to impress guests melt the caramel for each guest while serving.

It's a bit tedious to do but it's a awesome presentation and damn delicious. I haven't done this for probably five years now but after typing this post it's moved near the top of the list to do again!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
For he caramel I make the caramel (sugar and water) in a sauce pan and then pour the caramel equally into the bottom of the ramekins. It will solidify but that's fine. Then pour the custard over that and prepare as normal. Just before serving take a paring or other thin blade knife and run it around the inside of the rim of the ramekin loosening the custard from the ramekin. Then turn it upside down on a plate and it should release from the ramekin onto the plate with the caramel now on top. I like to take my chefs torch and warm the caramel so it runs down the side of the custard.If you really want to impress guests melt the caramel for each guest while serving.

When you bake it the caramel doesn't meld into the custard? When you pop it out of the ramekin should the custard hold it's shape? I think mine would have flattened out on a plate.

Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I don't think I did a very good job of explaining or mentioning the difference. The caramel dish is more of a flan than it is a brulee. They are prepared very similar and vary slightly in ingredients. I'd like to link you to the original recipe I used but it is a online pay to play site and I can't copy and paste or link to it. If you search recipes for a crème caramel you will find what I'm referring to. The last time I made it I had to put a bit of heat to the caramel to get it to flow however the recipe I used does not mention the need for doing that.

Brulee as well flans take practice to get just right and I'm still practicing. I think if I made either one once or more a month instead of once every five years I'd get better at it! Big Grin

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post