SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How well are your retirement accounts performing?
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How well are your retirement accounts performing? Login/Join 
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
quote:
Is there a good rule of thumb amount of cash to keep in the savings/checking account instead of in investments?

It varies by individual but I don't keep much in checking account. With Vanguard I can move money from my brokerage account to my checking account or vice versa if I want to. At least I can make 1.45% in Vanguard Prime MM versus next to nothing in my checking account. MM funds have no FDIC protection like in banks if that is a concern though.

1.45% in a non-FDIC insured money market account seems a little off?

American Express and a number of other banks offer 1.45% as an FDIC insured High-Yield Savings account...

They are trying to be competitive. My bank has not done such yet but I have so little in checking account it does not matter. I would still rather be in Vanguard MM as I can quickly move to another investment if I see an opportunity.

Posts: 9826 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
OUCH! Frown

Posts: 23195 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Time has come to shake out nervous Nellies to create buying opportunities but short term pain is never fun. It has been an epic run to the upside.

Posts: 9826 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
We've been due for a correction. The question is, just how much of a correction will we get?

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3635 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Okay, so for those advocating 6-9+ months of "savings", what's the argument for keeping the money on hand in a checking or savings account, versus in an investment account that can be cashed out in a few days?

I understand the need for a reserve or an "emergency" fund, but wouldn't the reserve or emergency fund just need to hold you over until you can move money out of an investment?

6-9 months of cash on hand seems a little excessive when you can sell stocks and funds and have it wired to your bank in less than 10 days. Even if I had to sell my house to get the equity out of it, a house shouldn't sit on the market for more than 6 months.

What scenario am I missing?

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
That was painful...resisting the urge to panic. A couple more days like this and it will really hurt.

Bad thing was, I just re balanced my account and added a new $10k on Wednesday of last week. Then it started going down.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Me too. Eek

I use a Dogs of the Dow approach and recently picked up 3 blue chippers at a good price. Had I waited until today I would have gotten a better price. Wink

The dividend is comforting in a crazy market.

Posts: 4817 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
I understand the need for a reserve or an "emergency" fund, but wouldn't the reserve or emergency fund just need to hold you over until you can move money out of an investment?

The purpose of an emergency fund is so that you don't have to start liquidating actual investments that presumably are earning a decent return.

Posts: 4057 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Okay, so for those advocating 6-9+ months of "savings", what's the argument for keeping the money on hand in a checking or savings account, versus in an investment account that can be cashed out in a few days?

6-9 months of cash on hand seems a little excessive when you can sell stocks and funds and have it wired to your bank in less than 10 days. Even if I had to sell my house to get the equity out of it, a house shouldn't sit on the market for more than 6 months.

I keep a couple of months. I have access to tons of credit. No need to keep cash on the sidelines. I want any money that is not for a short or medium term goal going to tax deferred account earning market returns.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the last few days have been a correction, but most indicators for tomorrow are showing green.

I can't complain - I've done pretty good recently and there is nothing I want to sell, and a few I'd like to buy - I have some cash hanging out there just collecting dust

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53786 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
OUCH! Frown

2ND That!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3794 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:

The number isn't just to cover you while you shuffle cash - that should indeed take days vs. months. Having that amount in cash is key to making sure unforeseen cash needs don't force you to have to sell stocks in a hurry during a crisis.

6-9 months worth of cash gives you a lot of wiggle room to weather corrections without freaking out and 'selling low'. If you have enough cash on hand, stocks getting cheaper can be seen as a buying opportunity rather than a calamity.

As to where said cash lives, an investment account isn't a bad place for some of it. Need to assess interest, safety and accessibility (does the account pay competitive interest, have FDIC (or SIPC) protection, allow you to write checks/transfer quickly and cheaply, offer a debit/cash card, etc.)

By the way, assuming you can sell a house quickly when you need cash is not a good general assumption - liquidity is not real estate's strong point. Depending on the rest of the situation, quickest way to raise cash from a house could be to take out a home equity line or second mortgage.

Posts: 15144 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:

The housing market isn’t always as vibrant as you have had it in your location, in your life time.

It’s an expensive way to raise cash, brokerage, closing etc.

There is no better seller than he who must sell.

With respect to stock prices recently, I expect they will continue to fluctuate.

You have to do these things every once in awhile, to scare off all the sissies.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
the last few days have been a correction, but most indicators for tomorrow are showing green.

I hope so, but I've been expecting a correction, a pretty significant correction, for some time.

I was hoping it'd hold off until we moved to cash out what remains of my 401k and pay off most of the balance of the mortgage.

We'll see.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I will begin to deploy cash tomorrow AM. Index funds.

Posts: 3260 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
I will begin to deploy cash tomorrow AM. Index funds.

I'll bet you will not be alone!

Yesterdays market action smacks of a programmed trade algorithm. The economic fundamentals are sound. Risk just got less risky.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Most mutual funds are now negative, YTD.
Though Futures seem to be making a bit of a come-back this morning.
Personal Performance, YTD: Negative -0.28% 01/01/2018 - 02/05/2018

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24581 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
One of the few times financial fortunes (not fortune!) have smiled on me.

I worked with a financial adviser recently to prepare for the day (if) I retire. Wanting to insure that I don't outlive my money, I made a decision to move half of my IRA money into a deferred annuity fund.

Last night I got a call from my adviser. After some banter about "how 'bout that stock market, hey?" he told me that the good news was that the money from my IRA had transferred BEFORE the 666 point slide. Whew!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most mutual funds are now negative, YTD.

Well, yeah. A 4% drop in a month will do that.

No worries, still just fine and dandy and on track for retirement in 13 years. IOW, it's not a big deal no matter how many BREAKING NEWS ALERTS we have to endure.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12670 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Ugh, I went from an almost 5% return to negative. Wondering if I should back to a moderate split from a stock heavy aggressive one.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7149 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post