SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How well are your retirement accounts performing?
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How well are your retirement accounts performing? Login/Join 
Fuimus
posted
The markets had another great day. My work account is 20% YTD. My wife's work account is in the teens. Our other three accounts are also in the teens. How are your accounts performing?

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Up 70%

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8239 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Ours have been performing well.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
+16% YTD

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1748 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Just shy of 14% over the past year. I’m tempted to shift to a higher risk mutual, but with less than 10 (hopefully no more than 6) years to retirement I am undecided.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11220 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Very well.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9748 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Very, very well at this moment.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36897 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a few accounts, but they are all high teens to low twenties. Can't complain at all. It's got to correct in the next couple years though.

Posts: 2018 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Just shy of 14% over the past year. I’m tempted to shift to a higher risk mutual, but with less than 10 (hopefully no more than 6) years to retirement I am undecided.

I'm in high risk and plan another 25 years working. My wife is high-moderate risk with about 15 years left.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
In the teens.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2040 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I'm in the black 14.25% over the past 12 months.

Posts: 11206 | Location: The Magnolia State | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I reduced the risk element of my accounts significantly when I retired 11 years ago. So these days the return is commensurately less than when I was younger. Mid-high single digit percentage is all I see now.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16517 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Of course, it is a question that can only be answered in relation to a benchmark. If you're close to retirement or in retirement and have an allocation heavy in fixed income, it makes no sense to compare your return to the S&P.

I make my living primarily in the markets, so most of my non-retirement assets other than the house are "at risk." My retirement accounts are therefore structured to have a significantly lower risk profile (standard deviation) than the S&P500. They are still slightly outperforming the relevant benchmarks due to excellent selection of securities.

That said, if you are in equities to any significant degree and you're accounts are not performing well, it is time to re-examine your allocations or switch advisors.

Posts: 6082 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Be sure to compare the expense ratios and any other costs too, not just the share price.

Posts: 9798 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
15 and 17.5 %. Two accounts

Posts: 4094 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
12 3/4%

I am retired now, and into conservative mode.

Posts: 13715 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well. I am heavily weighted in Apple stock. Not intetionally, it has just grown more than all the others.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
threads like this are tough because many tend to overstate their returns.

I've seen many who have said things like they were pulling out for various reasons, and then when the market goes up, the same person will claim some hyper performance.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11090 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
My mutual funds are between 3 and 17%.

Posts: 3689 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
No clue. I am too young to care. Won't be retiring for 25-30 years.

If I got excited every time it went up a bunch or down a ton then I'd likely have a heart attack before I could use any of it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post