SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How well are your retirement accounts performing?
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How well are your retirement accounts performing? Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Jim Allen's advice earlier was the best. You haven't lost a penny on your investments unless you actually sell them.

Posts: 18351 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Yeah, today was brutal.

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Wait until tomorrow's close.

Posts: 2427 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Back to where we were Nov 20, 2017. Down 3.75% for the day.

Posts: 5817 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Now that hurts. Frown

Posts: 23195 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I sold most all of my stock index funds on Monday morning before the open, to salvage gains. I'm not going back in until things settle down a bit.

I think Dick Bove put out some valid points this morning, and I am heeding his advice to be cautious:

"I think the markets are starting to realize that the supply of cheap money is falling and the demand for money is rising “A fundamental change is underway in the financial markets, and it will not be pleasant
  • The financial crisis is now over and the aberrational financial values created by the manipulated market are ending.
  • For a decade there has been a great deal of money around at real prices below zero. This era is over.
  • Increased demand for funds at a time when the growth in supply is easing will drive money costs higher and financial values lower. This is about as fundamental as it gets.
  • To argue that a shift in money availability; a shift in real interest rates; and a shift in the value of the dollar; have no fundamental impact is simply folly."

"Be very cautious as to how you invest your money at this time.”

Link to full short article at CNBC.com

Posts: 4057 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Jim Allen's advice earlier was the best. You haven't lost a penny on your investments unless you actually sell them.

An oft repeated line, but wrong. The fact is the value of your account has gone down. The number of shares you own is the same, but the value is down.

Don't believe me? Give your buddy the amount of money before his investment value went down and you take the current value.

Some investments never get back to their previous highs.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Dang, almost down to what it was on 12/31. Sucks.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7149 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
WOW, that was fast. Officially at correction level now on Down and S&P 500 I believe. If this keeps up we will be in a bear market by end of next week LOL.

Posts: 9826 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heathtx:
quote:

An oft repeated line, but wrong. The fact is the value of your account has gone down. The number of shares you own is the same, but the value is down.

Don't believe me? Give your buddy the amount of money before his investment value went down and you take the current value.

What does that have to do with anything? You aren’t likely to sell at the high anyway.

The “value” of the shares we own in Realty Income is down to $47.56 at the close. The high some months back was $70.10 or so. Given the number of shares we own, that’s a bunch of money. Do I care? Nope. Do I wish I had sold back when it was $70? Nope. If I had sold, I wouldn’t keep getting the dividends. I have no intention of selling, no plan in the foreseeable future, so what does it matter?

Next week, I will receive a dividend for each and every one of those shares, as I have every month for a couple of decades, on a varying number of shares of course, as I added mostly. There is a number on the bottom of the statements representing the total value as of the date of the statement of the holdings. It varies month by month, up, down, back forth, in part as I withdraw money. While I can’t say it is of no importance, I think it is not very important, as long as the bipusineses are doing acceptably well.

The businesses whose shares I own are doing just as well today as they were last month. The interest rate environment is changing, so that will impact values some. BFD.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
quote:

What does that have to do with anything? You aren’t likely to sell at the high anyway.

The “value” of the shares we own in Realty Income is down to $47.56 at the close. The high some months back was $70.10 or so. Given the number of shares we own, that’s a bunch of money. Do I care? Nope. Do I wish I had sold back when it was $70? Nope. If I had sold, I wouldn’t keep getting the dividends. I have no intention of selling, no plan in the foreseeable future, so what does it matter?

Next week, I will receive a dividend for each and every one of those shares, as I have every month for a couple of decades, on a varying number of shares of course, as I added mostly. There is a number on the bottom of the statements representing the total value as of the date of the statement of the holdings. It varies month by month, up, down, back forth, in part as I withdraw money. While I can’t say it is of no importance, I think it is not very important, as long as the bipusineses are doing acceptably well.

The businesses whose shares I own are doing just as well today as they were last month. The interest rate environment is changing, so that will impact values some. BFD.

I agree with Jallen entirely...with further explanation on something Jallen subtly alluded to but didn't quite make explicit.

The value of the companies whose shares he owns - which is determined by its potential for generating future cash flows - has not changed. The price of acquiring a piece of those cash flows is what has changed. There is a huge difference. Just ask Warren Buffett, who says "price is what you pay...value is what you get." The value of the future streams of cash flows generated by the businesses is not impaired simply because the market price of the companies' shares declines. You simply have the chance to acquire some fraction of those cash flows for less than you could yesterday. Happy day for any investor.

Posts: 6082 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
When the value of the investments decline, the value of the position declines. You may believe that you have not lost any money, but when the securities will bring a lower amount, NO ONE in their right mind will pay you more than the lower new market price.

So if you can only sell them for less than they were worth a week ago, you have lost money. You may not have realized it yet (accounting wise), but the loss is there.

What if the security never comes back up to the higher value, is it still worth the higher previous value? If you say yes, I have some stocks to sell you and I'm sure you will pay the higher previous value if you are a so strongly principled........

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
When the value of the investments decline, the value of the position declines. You may believe that you have not lost any money, but when the securities will bring a lower amount, NO ONE in their right mind will pay you more than the lower new market price.

So if you can only sell them for less than they were worth a week ago, you have lost money. You may not have realized it yet (accounting wise), but the loss is there.

What if the security never comes back up to the higher value, is it still worth the higher previous value? If you say yes, I have some stocks to sell you and I'm sure you will pay the higher previous value if you are a so strongly principled........

Sorry, no sale.

Let’s be careful to not confuse price and value. As ChicagoSigMan rightly points out, they are different concepts. I accept Buffett’s succinctly worded expression of Ben Graham’s teaching, that “price is what you pay, value is what you get.” The price varies from day to day, minute to minute, but the value varies with the present value of future cash flows, and can usually be estimated only.

The very best statement of what we are trying to do as investors is found in Chapter 8 of The Intelligent Investor, by Benjamin Graham, a parable about Mr. Market.

quote:
Imagine that in some private business you own a small share that cost you $ 1,000. One of your partners, named Mr. Market, is very obliging indeed. Every day he tells you what he thinks your interest is worth and furthermore offers either to buy you out or to sell you an additional interest on that basis. Sometimes his idea of value appears plausible and justified by business developments and prospects as you know them. Often, on the other hand, Mr. Market lets his enthusiasm or his fears run away with him, and the value he proposes seems to you a little short of silly. If you are a prudent investor or a sensible businessman, will you let Mr. Market’s daily communication determine your view of the value of a $ 1,000 interest in the enterprise? Only in case you agree with him, or in case you want to trade with him. You may be happy to sell out to him when he quotes you a ridiculously high price, and equally happy to buy from him when his price is low. But the rest of the time you will be wiser to form your own ideas of the value of your holdings, based on full reports from the company about its operations and financial position.

The true investor is in that very position when he owns a listed common stock. He can take advantage of the daily market price or leave it alone, as dictated by his own judgment and inclination. He must take cognizance of important price movements, for otherwise his judgment will have nothing to work on. Conceivably they may give him a warning signal which he will do well to heed—this in plain English means that he is to sell his shares because the price has gone down, foreboding worse things to come. In our view such signals are misleading at least as often as they are helpful. Basically, price fluctuations have only one significant meaning for the true investor. They provide him with an opportunity to buy wisely when prices fall sharply and to sell wisely when they advance a great deal. At other times he will do better if he forgets about the stock market and pays attention to his dividend returns and to the operating results of his companies.

I find this concept extremely helpful, and wish I had followed it unswervingly since I was exposed to it in college 50 years ago.

Not everyone looks at it this way. No problem.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
If you aren't selling, then you have not taken a loss, but then the entire statement "It's not a loss until you sell" is a null statement.

When a security price declines (and I'm choosing price and value carefully) then one can buy a portfolio of
X shares at Y*price = total$
Also, if a price declines by $5/share), one can buy the same portfolio for
X shares * (Y-5)price = less $ than Total $

When EVERY brokerage house prints a statement showing the market value of the publicly traded portfolio has gone down (basic accounting) the market value of the portfolio has decreased.

There is NO ONE who will buy it at the higher price you believe (or feel, or whatever) it is worth.

I realize you are a savvy investor, but when the market value goes down, you can deny it all you want, but you can't sell it for more than it will bring (market price). Market price is market price, that differ from how you value the investment, but good luck selling it at a price above market.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you aren't selling, then you have not taken a loss, but then the entire statement "It's not a loss until you sell" is a null statement.

When a security price declines (and I'm choosing price and value carefully) then one can buy a portfolio of

When EVERY brokerage house prints a statement showing the market value of the publicly traded portfolio has gone down (basic accounting) the market value of the portfolio has decreased.

There is NO ONE who will buy it at the higher price you believe (or feel, or whatever) it is worth.

I realize you are a savvy investor, but when the market value goes down, you can deny it all you want, but you can't sell it for more than it will bring (market price). Market price is market price, that differ from how you value the investment, but good luck selling it at a price above market.

I think I mentioned at the outset that I didn’t care about selling, so it didn’t matter. Price only matters when you are buying, or selling. If you are doing neither, who cares? When I want to sell, it will. Whether prices go up or down in the meantime is of no importance.

Do I feel poorer because of the recent declines? Not especially.

Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:

I know Jallen doesn't need my help here, but the disconnect is that you are equating market value with intrinsic value, and a decline in MV does't necessarily equate with a decline in IV. Of course it is true that at any given time, you can't sell an asset for more than its current market price. It's so obvious that it doesn't even need stating. But just because the market price of an asset has declined doesn't mean its owner has lost money because he still has the ownership of the cash flow generated by the asset. In the case of the stock, the security is not the real asset. The real asset is the fractional piece of a stream of cash flows to which the security entitles the holder. The value of that stream of cash flows is wholly independent of the market price of the security that evidences its ownership. So unless you plan to sell the security, you only lose money if the decline in market price was due to a decline in the earning potential of the business.

Posts: 6082 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
another wild ride today??

maybe some bounce-back?

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PeterGV
posted Hide Post
JAllen is right... IF you’re buying and holding for the long term.

If, on the other hand, you’re just a few short years from retirement and you’ll need your money at that time, the activities of the market Near term matter... and the underlying value of your investment can be cold comfort.

Some of the best advice I’ve read in the past few years was in the Journal: “When you’ve won the game, STOP PLAYING!” IOW, once you’ve made your number, get transitioned to an asset allocation that will primarily preserve your holdings and thereby ensure a semi-comfy retirement.

Sur, we could all use a few more bucks. But, for me at least, not at the cost of being able to buy food when I’m 80.

Posts: 1318 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeterGV:
JAllen is right... IF you’re buying and holding for the long term.

If, on the other hand, you’re just a few short years from retirement and you’ll need your money at that time, the activities of the market Near term matter... and the underlying value of your investment can be cold comfort.

Some of the best advice I’ve read in the past few years was in the Journal: “When you’ve won the game, STOP PLAYING!” IOW, once you’ve made your number, get transitioned to an asset allocation that will primarily preserve your holdings and thereby ensure a semi-comfy retirement.

Sur, we could all use a few more bucks. But, for me at least, not at the cost of being able to buy food when I’m 80.

Very few have an idea about risk. I look it as the possibility of loss of your investment. I have some experience in this line, and the scars to prove it.

Buffett says if you can’t stand to see a 50% decline in your portfolio, you should not be in the market. He supposes that the stocks in your portfolio are of sound businesses, conservatively financed, and purchased as reasonable prices. This excludes what many prople do, buying high fliers, at hideous P/E multiples, or even companies that have never reported a profit, in business for only a few years. That is not investing, but speculating. For every Qualcomm, or Apple, or Google et al there are hundreds of companies which do not live up to the hype. Risk happens!

To make money you don’t have and don’t need, you risk what you do have and need, and that’s foolish.

Picture of PeterGV
posted Hide Post
I realize we're effectively agreeing here. You're saying "If you need it, you shouldn't be investing it." OK, I agree whole-heartedly.

But, in terms of this:
quote:
Buffett says if you can’t stand to see a 50% decline in your portfolio, you should not be in the market
With respect, JAllen... Few people have a 401(k) that can take a 50% decline. And given the way retirement savings works today, fewer people still can afford to NOT be in the market.

Mr. Buffett may be the Oracle of Omaha, but that quote does not sound to ME like practical wisdom one can live by.

AH! I bet he SPECIFICALLY means the EQUITIES market. Ahhhh... OK. So, to re-write that quote: "If you can't stand to see a 50% decline in the portion of your portfolio that's dedicated to equities you should not be invested in equities ."

Even then, I'm having trouble agreeing. One can choose sufficiently carefully to avoid a 50% loss. But, now I'm quibbling with the Oracle.

Posts: 1318 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post