SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How well are your retirement accounts performing?
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How well are your retirement accounts performing? Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I think somewhere back in this thread I said there was an ass kicking out there somewhere. Well, here it is.

I wouldn't be panic selling. The reason for this is that the market is nervous that the economy is growing too fast, and that the Fed will pump up interest rates faster than previously expected to prevent big inflation. This is a good problem to have. Once the markets price in the new interest rate expectations, and companies keep reporting good earnings, the market will likely level out, and maybe start looking cheap (or at least cheaper.) This will get investors buying again.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Well they had been doing great. I say that noting I've been retired for over a decade so my portfolio is skewed to minimize risk with stocks at ~ 25%.

Between Friday and Monday my accounts took a huge 5 figure dump. But I'm riding things out as always.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16517 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

One of the better ETF's is the Investor Business Daily top 50 stocks. Just let some one else do the driving.

What is interesting is the increase in volume when Donald Trump won the election. Smile People also voted with their wallet. Eek

Posts: 11893 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
[quote]my portfolio is skewed to minimize risk with stocks at ~ 25%.

Between Friday and Monday my accounts took a huge 5 figure dump.

Bald1,

curious if you have less than 25% of your portfolio in stock funds. What is the other 75% invested in and with who. If I can ask?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19709 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
The key question is: What, in corporate profits and the economy, has fundamentally changed since this time last week?

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3794 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I know the recent stock market nose dive makes you hurt, but you have to remember folks, these retirement accounts are LONG TERM investments. Do not sweat the short term.

Posts: 13715 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
[quote]my portfolio is skewed to minimize risk with stocks at ~ 25%.

Between Friday and Monday my accounts took a huge 5 figure dump.

Bald1,

curious if you have less than 25% of your portfolio in stock funds. What is the other 75% invested in and with who. If I can ask?

I'm retired military & civil service so the account I'm referring to is the Thrift Savings Plan (a 401k for federal employees).

C Fund is common stocks (stock market)
G Fund is government securities
F Fund is fixed income investment
S Fund is small capitalization stock index investment
I Fund is international stock index investment

G & F are considered stable lower risk funds, where C, S, & I are long term growth higher risk funds.

Since retirement I'm only in C, G, & F Funds. And this year I started withdrawing as mandated by the IRS for age.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16517 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
So the S&P500 is basically where it was Dec 1, 2017? WOW, that is a massive fall! Run for the hills! SELL EVERYTHING!!!!

Posts: 5817 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
If you look at my chart I posted, the SP500 was up 10 percent from the first of Dec but the correction has knock it back down.

The market has run up too fast and a correction is healthy. The SP500 is still up 15 percent for one year.

Posts: 11893 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
My point is that giving up ~9 weeks of performance isn't much of a correction.

Posts: 5817 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even with the latest correction if that is what it is being called I am still on the plus side of things.I know it might not be the end of it and I only have a few years to retirement but Im with Warhorse and sticking with it.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Wake me up if the Dow goes under 18,589.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4358 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My portfolio got a bit of reprieve with today's closing numbers. I have no intentions of bailing out!!

Posts: 6712 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I had cash sitting on the sidelines yesterday. Looks like I bought at a 4% discount yesterday, with an immediate 2% bump today.

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PeterGV
posted Hide Post
I’m slowly rebalancing more to fixed income, because, we’ll, the economy of course AND I’m 5 to 10 years from retirement.

Sometime back, a SigForum member suggested Vanguard Wellesley (40% stock, 60% bonds) and I am very, very, grateful. I’ve been using that as my new asset allocation target with Wellesley as a core holding.

Posts: 1318 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I got about 45 percent of what I lost yesterday back.

Posts: 23195 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24583 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I panicked. Bumped to down to a slightly larger bond %. Rebounded 33% of what I lost.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7149 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
another rollercoaster drop day for sure

----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Ouch!
Frown

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24583 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post