SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Elon Musk buys 73 million shares of Twitter, becomes largest stockholder
Page 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 71
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elon Musk buys 73 million shares of Twitter, becomes largest stockholder Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
...he exposed the facts that Twitter is filled with bots and is ultra left leaning.

Exposed to who? The half the people who already knew, or the half that couldn't care? lol

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
...he exposed the facts that Twitter is filled with bots and is ultra left leaning.

Exposed to who? The half the people who already knew, or the half that couldn't care? lol

To investors, who probably are now upset that Twitter either incompetently, or fraudulently, buffed their reporting. And to advertisers, who probably now will want lower rates to compensate for bot-activity in quantities significant enough that Musk bailed.

If we had adult supervision at the SEC, they'd be paying attention to this as well.

The bent-hard-left thing was, yes, obvious to anyone with two working synapses. The magnitude of the fake account thing, however....

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
If we had adult supervision at the SEC, they'd be paying attention to this as well.

It could be bigger than that...

Jack’s Magic Coffee Shot has been for sale, but there’s no viable business model in the private sector. No one has wanted to purchase Twitter – it is simply unsustainable; the data processing costs, specifically the server data processing demand for simultaneous active users, exceeds the capacity of the platform to generate revenue – until now….

The only way Twitter, with 217 million users, could exist as a viable platform is if they had access to tech systems of incredible scale and performance, and those systems were essentially free or very cheap. The only entity that could possibly provide that level of capacity and scale is the United States Government – combined with a bottomless bank account. A public-private partnership.

If my hunch is correct, Elon Musk is poised to expose the well-kept secret that most social media platforms are operating on U.S. government tech infrastructure and indirect subsidy. Let that sink in.

The U.S. technology system, the assembled massive system of connected databases and server networks, is the operating infrastructure that offsets the cost of Twitter to run their own servers and database. The backbone of Twitter is the United States government.

There is only one way for Twitter to exist as a viable entity, people are now starting to realize this.

What matters to the people behind Twitter, the people who are subsidizing the ability of Twitter to exist, is control over the global conversation.

Control of the conversation is priceless to the people who provide the backbone for Twitter.

Once people realize who is subsidizing Twitter, everything changes.

https://theconservativetreehou...to-data/#more-235021

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
217 million users. Yeah right. It's likely tens of millions at the most, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's really less than ten million.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Looks like he’s bailing on it:
This comes as little surprise to anybody who's been on Twitter since the intended acquisition was announced. He'd been quite active on Twitter, then ghosted it.

What few posts he has made, recently, have been significantly lower-key than previously. E.g.: In commenting of Jordan B. Peterson's banning: "Yeah, they're going way too far in squashing dissenting opinion." Referring to Twitter as "they" and no mention of it getting fixed.

I logged-out, late yesterday. Odds are I'll end up cancelling the account. Only reason I went back, after killing my first account a few years back, was Musk's acquisition.

It's probably just as well. Twitter is kind of addictive. I was spending far too much time on it.

Problem with self-control, you say? Nah. Can't have a problem with something you don't have

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
My guess is he’s decided it’s cheaper to build his own platform/the financials are shakier than everyone thought.

Posts: 5736 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
217 million users. Yeah right. It's likely tens of millions at the most, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's really less than ten million.

I’m with you. I’d be surprised if there are more than 50 million legitimate users on Twitter.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
My guess is he’s decided it’s cheaper to build his own platform/the financials are shakier than everyone thought.

Another thought- he's ruining the platform so he can buy it on the cheap. It's sport for him. He's now exposed Twitter as mostly bots with the majority of posts being fake. Now investors/advertisers will pull out because of the real numbers now, and abandoned by users by the thousands. Then when its a shell of its former self he will buy it and reinvent it.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
if thats the case its a smart move

he's not dumb by any means and his 'antics' are just his way of shaking things up and exposing the bullshit to the harsh light of reality

I doubt he has 50 million legitimate users...that would be a huge number - maybe 25 or 30 which is still a lot but a far cry from the 215 original advertised

not a twitter user, so its failure isn't a huge deal, but to the existing investors its so nice to see their investment and cash cow being ripped to shreds

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Looks like the layoffs started. From a Linkedin thread two days ago-

quote:
Twitter layoffs started today.

There are people losing their jobs that have been there over a decade.

This is a really tough day.

In addition, there is a current blackout on selling any Vested Stock.

It began on May 31st and the brokerage that holds the stock has no end date.

So- in addition to losing their jobs, which Twitter assured employees would not happen, many of these folks won’t be able to sell the shares they earned.

The money they need pay bills and keep them afloat if and until they get new employment.

When severance ends, that’s it.

If Twitter has chosen to spend potential billions suing Elon and maintaining a falsely inflated stock price at the expense of the people who gave their lives building the company— that is an even more tragic story.

I wish everyone at Twitter well and please reach out if I can refer you to anyone in my network.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts...69057071980545-1Q4t/

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's possible Musk knew the bot count was much higher than reported and predicted this outcome. In any case, a social media platform claiming their bot count is 10% or less, when it is much higher, is a material misrepresentation of the value of the company. This is no different than any other media outlet claiming much higher viewership than they really have. It affects stock valuation, advertising prices, revenue, etc.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Musk did a real number on those jerks.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Damn shame I tell you what...

Musk pwned them bigtime.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Razz

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8886 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Musk probably thinks about Twitter as much as his hair. Although he is concerned that the species will woke itself and the economy to death before it can escape Earth.

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Looks like the layoffs started. From a Linkedin thread two days ago- ...
Couldn't happen to a more deserving group of people, IMO.

If every last one of these social media platforms crashed & burned the world would be better for it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Wonder what it cost him to not buy twatter.

Posts: 7455 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
Wonder what it cost him to not buy twatter.

Some chump change lawsuits…

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I wonder how those 'employees' who never come to work found out. Probably the same way I did.

Posts: 7256 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
He 'fixed' the 'glitch'

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post