SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Elon Musk buys 73 million shares of Twitter, becomes largest stockholder
Page 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 71
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elon Musk buys 73 million shares of Twitter, becomes largest stockholder Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Miami as Twitter HQ would be amazing! I hope it happens! Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21109 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Miami has an emerging tech scene and even has it's own tech conference ( eMerge Americas, not to be confused with a Dem-related group Emerge America). The exec team from a company I used to work at had it's HQ in Miami is BIG on promoting the city and created the conference. The founder Manny Medina (he's the older gent in the video on the website) is a staunch conservative and Cuban-American (born in Cuba and emigrated here at a young age after his family was forced out). His daughter is President of eMerge Americas and all are very active in promoting tech business in South Florida.

Miami will welcome Twitter with open arms and there's enough left of center in Miami Beach to make it work.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
I grew up in SoFla so I think that would be outstanding.

I know its pricey but gotta be cheaper that San Fran

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Excellenté!

Who knows, maybe they’ll be some land opening up near Orlando as well.

If Disney moves to Texas, a lot of land will be available Big Grin

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I read that a land owner near Austin was offering Musk 100 acres to build a new site on. Sorry, no link that I can find now.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Hey Elon- do CNN next!
No...just let them die.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
I read that a land owner near Austin was offering Musk 100 acres to build a new site on.
Austin, God, no. The absolute center of ridiculous leftist horse shit in Texas. Pretentious, self-centered, tatted-up spoiled brats, vacuous, whiny, conceited and shallow, and those are their good points.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Austin, God, no.
The absolute center of ridiculous leftist horse shit in Texas.
Pretentious, self-centered, tatted-up spoiled brats, vacuous, whiny, conceited and shallow, and those are their good points.

100 per cent correct ~ it is an embarrassment to every living Texan. Frown

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
I read that a land owner near Austin was offering Musk 100 acres to build a new site on. Sorry, no link that I can find now.

Gotcha covered:
https://www.foxbusiness.com/te...s-is-the-place-to-be

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Even though Austin has a MotoGP track it also has a lot of idiots. I’d personally prefer to see Miami over Austin as the new Twitter HQ. To me it’s not even close.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21109 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Formula one in Miami very shortly!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Formula one in Miami very shortly!

Seriously? I'm all in for going there to watch it!

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:

Gotcha covered:
https://www.foxbusiness.com/te...s-is-the-place-to-be

Thanks, vt!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5740 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hhaha. I heard he is cutting salaries of the board as well. Nice to see.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Hhaha. I heard he is cutting salaries of the board as well. Nice to see.

What board? It'll just be Elon. The company will be private. No Board required, thank you very much.

Correct?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cannot be done overnight. Don't know about final board. He will in charge for sure. Deal will not close until late this year if I understand it correctly. You do not want to be tied up in lawsuits for eternity.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SINGAPORE - Projects and operations are proceeding as usual at Twitter's Asia-Pacific headquarters in Singapore, but pay-related issues weigh on the minds of some employees as the company prepares to go private.

Several Twitter employees said on Friday (April 29) that they were not overly concerned about potential job cuts, but issues such as compensation packages and stock options are still up in the air ahead of billionaire Elon Musk's planned takeover.

The company on Tuesday announced that it had accepted the Tesla chief executive's offer to buy it for US$44 billion (S$61 billion).

"When the company is delisted, those of us holding stock options will have to renegotiate our contracts and pay structure," said one employee.

"We don't really know much more than the public does right now, so many of us are in a wait-and-see mode."

Reports by Bloomberg and The Washington Post, citing anonymous sources familiar with Mr Musk's discussions with bankers while securing financing for the deal, suggested he had considered cuts to jobs and other costs to improve Twitter's financials.

But Twitter chief executive Parag Agrawal told employees in a recent meeting that there are no plans for layoffs, according to a Reuters report.

One employee who spoke to The Straits Times noted that Mr Musk had not yet taken on any official positions within Twitter and made his comments as a potential investor seeking financing.

"My interpretation of those reports was that he needed to offer some ideas about how to improve the company's profits, which have been stagnant for some time," said the employee.

"It is too early to speculate about retrenchments when the deal isn't even finalised yet. I don't expect to be retrenched, but if it happens, it happens. We can always find new jobs as our skills are in high demand."

Staff also said there had been no changes to their work priorities, processes or ongoing projects in the wake of Mr Musk's takeover bid.

"The message was that it is business as usual until the deal closes," said one employee.

On Thursday, The Business Times reported that Twitter had called off a planned event to officially open a new 22,000 sq ft extension to its headquarters in the CapitaGreen building in Market Street, in the Central Business District.

The extension would nearly double the size of its office space.

The event had been scheduled to take place on Thursday, but was cancelled the day before.

Twitter declined comment when approached.

Minister for Communications and Information Josephine Teo had been slated to deliver opening remarks at the event.

The minister visited the office on Thursday despite the cancellation and had a closed-door meeting with Twitter executives, as part of her ministry's regular engagements with the industry, said the BT report.

One employee told ST that Twitter staff held their own private celebrations to mark the opening and had been instructed not to take photos of Mrs Teo during her visit.

ST understands Twitter has nearly 400 staff in Singapore, including more than 50 in technical roles such as software engineering.

In January, the company said it would double the number of engineers to more than 100 by 2023. The additional hires would span engineering, data science, machine learning and product management.

The Singapore centre is led by Mr Silvanus Lee, co-founder of the artificial intelligence start-up BasisAI, which was acquired by a Temasek company last year.

Aside from possible restructuring of the company, Mr Musk's offer has also ignited debates over free speech and censorship, and the role social media platforms such as Twitter play in democracies.

While Mr Musk has vowed to make changes that would turn Twitter into a "bastion of free speech", his critics have expressed concerns that this would include allowing hate speech to proliferate and lead to more online abuse.

"I also want to make Twitter better than ever by enhancing the product with new features, making the algorithms open source to increase trust, defeating the spam bots, and authenticating all humans," Mr Musk said in a press release announcing the deal.

A local employee said the Singapore office and other Asia-Pacific locations are focused primarily on sales and operations, adding that most employees here are "removed from the main concerns and critiques" raised by commentators.

"The legal, policy and trust and safety teams globally are probably more concerned or affected," the employee added.

"Ultimately, I think the company's values are not so misaligned with what Elon values, like free speech, fighting spam and so on. We just differ on how to get it done.

"If he takes over, he might start to understand how difficult it is."

link: https://www.straitstimes.com/t...er-pay-stock-options

posted Hide Post
Here is some more Alan. Seems credible given the source.

Eccentric billionaire Elon Musk plans to strip Twitter’s board of directors of their pay, cut executive stipends, and make money off ordinary tweets, according to Reuters. Musk made the promises to banks before they helped back his $44 billion acquisition of the social media platform on April 21. Reuters sources say the promises are more visionary than solid, but it was enough to secure $13 billion and $12.5 billion in loans. The rest of the hefty price tag for Twitter will come out of his own pocket. Musk previously tweeted that cutting board pay would save the company around $3 million a year. Musk will assume ownership of Twitter in late 2022 if the deal is completed.

LINK: https://www.thedailybeast.com/...-pay-monetize-tweets