SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is that idiot Biden gonna get us in a war with Russia or China?
Page 1 ... 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 ... 191
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is that idiot Biden gonna get us in a war with Russia or China? Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
We have around 6600 Abrams as of now, around 3700 of which are in storage; I assume the Ukrainians will get the basic model sans classified knick knacks.

https://www.statista.com/stati...nk-strength-country/

It sounds like the brass is possibly angling for the next upgrade to the Abrams lineage, the X model. Give away the old tech and replenish with a more modern, lighter(about 13 tons lighter), more nimble design

https://coffeeordie.com/abramsx-tank-army/

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
The USMC tanks were transfered to the US Army, but may not be in active service; Poland is getting 116 of them as replacement for twice the number of old T-72 they gave/are giving to Ukraine, ahead of 250 new-built M1A2 they ordered pre-war and are to receive from next year. The problem with stored American vehicles is however that they contain sensitive technology that's not being exported to non-NATO and equivalent allies; particularly depleted uranium armor, which AIUI is hard to strip out without essentially rebuilding the tank, at which point you might just as well make new ones.

Posts: 2416 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Thanks gearhounds and BansheeOne. Your knowledge is impressive, as always.

(But 30 minutes from original ask to complete answer is below Forum Standards, dontcha think? Cool ) <JK!>

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Given the success of the latest generation of anti-armor weapons, how effective will an Abrahms be for the Ukrainians? Do the Rooskies have effective anti-armor stuff that will counter the Abrahms?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Last I heard the USMC has transferred just south of 400 of their tanks to the Army. As noted 116 have been bought by Poland as is in the USMC FEP configuration. I have heard that the 250 SEP V3's that Poland bought will be built off of these hulls also. Easier and faster than trying to refurb older hulls that have been sitting in the weeds for decades.

As Adm Kirby noted at one press briefing the US does not just have tanks sitting around ready to give away. All of ours are accounted for in current units. Plenty of older ones sitting around that can be refurbished and sold as foreign military sales (FMS) but that takes time and as Banshee noted we don't sell all the goodies to non-NATO countries.

As of a few years ago there was only one (possibly two now) places that were authorized to remove and replace the sensitive armor packages and I would bet that we would defiantly swap those out before we sent any to be captured by Russia.

I personally think sending M1's to Ukraine is silly. The amount of time it would take to train the crews (even if they were actual tankers) to be reasonably competent on the platform would, in my opinion, be at least a year. A good mechanic takes longer than that. "Oh but the Ukrainians are fast learners"! I'm sure they are, but the newly minted Abrams tankers and mechanics aren't going to a unit that for all practical purposes has decades of experience in it on the operation, employment, and maintenance of the platform.

Send them 31 tanks within the next year and I'd wager money that without US personnel after a month 25 will be deadlined and the other 6 will be close to it.

quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Given the success of the latest generation of anti-armor weapons, how effective will an Abrahms be for the Ukrainians? Do the Rooskies have effective anti-armor stuff that will counter the Abrahms?

Yes they do. But you can't judge the failure of the Russian tanks by the fact that western anti-armor weapons are great. The Russians just aren't employing tanks the way we would. No air, no infantry. I've watched so many videos of lone Russian tanks driving around getting smoked. Western doctrine does not send lone tanks out to cruise around.

When the war kicked off people were saying the day of the tank was over due to anti-armor weapons. Saying man portable anti-tank weapons were the end of the tank is like saying man portable anti-air missiles spelled the end of the aircraft.

How you employ them matters. If tanks are so obsolete, why has Ukraine been asking for them since the beginning of the conflict?

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Those 31 tanks are going to be brand new and used in Ukraine as a proving ground. US Tanks haven't seen a real ground mechanized war since Desert Storm. Lots of upgrades need to be tested.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
Those 31 tanks are going to be brand new and used in Ukraine as a proving ground.
Do you think that's what we're doing? Using the conflict for field testing?

Posts: 107583 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
As for the infrastructure, I'm not sure heavier tanks are necessarily going to be an issue. The ground may not have frozen over much this year, but mud season is coming to an end. At the same time, if the Russians are stuck to the roads then current Ukrainian armor is at no disadvantage and heavier armor shouldn't be stuck to the roads, right?

Paging MBinky, MBinky to the white courtesy phone...

The ground pressure on a combat loaded M1A1 (~68 tons) is about 15 PSI.

I have no idea how the tank will fare over Ukrainian roads but I do know how hard it can be to recover in muddy terrain.

Along with the 31 tanks I read they will send 8 M88 recovery vehicles (I assume they will be M88A2 Hercules and not the older, lighter M88A1's.)

Single line pull on an M88 Herc main winch is 70 tons (45 tons in the older A1). In recovery school they teach you that if the tank is buried to the road wheels you need to double the weight in your calculations. If it's buried to the turret you triple the weight. If it has power and can turn the tracks you reduce the weight by half. The you have to calculate the angle you are pulling from and how much that reduces the pull of your main winch.

Lots go into recovering a disabled tank besides raw numbers. Experience helps.

I guess what I am saying is, don't get stuck in the mud.

(In the old days, recovering a tank meant that the tank crew had to give the 88 crew a case of beer; if an 88 had to recover another 88 that was two cases of beer because they should have known better Smile )

This is all academic though. Keeping a tanker out of the mud is like keeping a pig out of the shit. You can't.

Besides training I see parts as being a limiting factor. Where are the parts coming from? A1 parts are getting scarce. The Army will stop support of the A1 platform in 2025. Last few years the USMC had a hard time getting parts. I know a kid that transferred to the Army from the USMC and he says he has a hard time getting parts for the brand new V3's.

Biggest cost on the Abrams platform? The engine. About $1.3M a copy.

Biggest cause of engine failure? FOD.

Biggest cause of FOD? The crew.

We have been training US crews how to prevent FOD in the turbine for DECADES and they still screw it up (shit, the US even put in a self cleaning system for the engine air filters so the crew didn't have to 'eff with them and they STILL screw it up).

I don't see brand new Ukrainian tankers faring any better.

Engine price:

Open Source Tank Engine Cost

One last note about "new" tanks. There are no new tanks. The last new, from scratch, Abrams tank was built in 1993. Everything since then has been refurbs.

The USMC purchased all of their tanks between 1990 and 1997. They all had the original serial number matrix so we could actually tell where and when they were made (Dxxxx, Lxxxx). Some of the Army tanks I have seen use a different serial matrix; kind of sad the original serials were scrubbed when they were converted to newer versions.

Here is a video from ANAD, Anniston Army Depot. The 2:30 to 3:05 mark talks about the last new tank being built in 1993. I have never seen a tank with an (original format) serial number past 1993, so I tend to believe ANAD. All of the USMC tanks I ever saw and worked on were produced between 1986 and 1992.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It might be a big "if", but if the Ukrainians can keep them maintained and unstuck, we've seen several examples in past decades of what just a smaller number of Western tanks can do against larger numbers of older Soviet tanks - See the Battle of the Valley of Tears in the Yom Kippur War, or the Battles of Medina Ridge and 73 Easting from the Gulf War.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I read that the train tracks in Ukraine are only rated for 40 ton loads and these Abrams are pushing 60 tons each. Going to be interesting to see how they pull this off.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
An Abrams pushes well more than 60 tons.

An M1A1 "Heavy" (DU armor) with 1/4 tank of fuel, no ammo, no SL-3 gear (BII for you Army boys Wink ), and only a driver weighs around 65 tons.

I know this because we had to weight them before the Air Force would allow us to load them on their C17's and they wanted us below 130K.

At full combat load (full crew, full fuel, full ammo, full SL-3 compliment) they are around 68 tons.

Add in the all the extra ammo, grenades, C4, and miscellaneous party favors that the tankers like to carry around and the weight gets even heavier.

And that's the LIGHTEST Abrams we have.

The weight only goes up from there.

From what I have seen there is no appreciable weight difference between a US 'heavy' tank and an export tank with the non-DU armor.

Still very close in weight, still mid to high 60s on tons.

SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
This is all academic though. Keeping a tanker out of the mud is like keeping a pig out of the shit. You can't.

Big Grin

Which is why I'm not so worried about ground pressure and the infamous Russian/Ukrainian mud; anything will get stuck in there, as the Russians found again last year when they were trying to get off the clogged roads during their drive on Kiev. More mindful of bridge ratings and track loads mentioned above. That's why I'm a proponent of sending refurbished Leopard 1s which are actually in the same MLC as the Soviet types. The Ukrainians have already received a few Slovenian M-55S which are vastly upgraded T-55 with a NATO-standard 105 mm gun, so at least the ammunition should be in their system already. Depending upon whom you ask, there are 150-190 retired Leopard 1 in German industry stocks alone, another about 200 in Italy, etc.

The crucial part in maintaining any Western type in Ukrainian service will not just be user capabilities, but supply of spare parts and ammunition from the donors. Germany chose to send the Leopard 2A6 variant over the older A5 (only used as OPFOR at our national training center anymore) specifically because of the better availability of spares in the long run. Even so, delivering just 14 of them will have a serious impact on the German tank fleet overall.

Not only are current European armed forces rather small compared to the Cold War era, but penny-pinching has affected ammunition and parts stocks in particular over decades, relying on just-in-time deliveries and the assumption that we'd have to support only small contingents in expeditionary operations against technologically inferior opponents. As a result, e. g. supporting just 14 PzH 2000 self-propelled howitzers donated to Ukraine in high-intensity combat has reduced availability of the remaining German fleet to 1/3. Which is in part because the Ukrainians are literally loving those things to death.

The type was designed for mobile warfare with short bursts of rapid fire with an automatic loader in shoot-and-scoot tactics, with a battery meant to provide the same firepower as battalion of the older M109, typically firing 100 rounds per day. Of course while the Ukrainians are still shooting and scooting, by necessity they have been using the rapid-fire capability to counter Russian artillery superiority in static warfare, reportedly firing up to 500 rounds per day and gun. Unsurprisingly at that rate, the automatic loader and other bits start shaking themselves apart rather quickly, increasing maintenance needs. So yes, since it was discussed earlier - wars are always field tests for untried systems and new versions thereof.

Meanwhile, "Spiegel" has the usual backstory of what supposedly led to the tank decision.

quote:
The Last Taboo

Germany's Leopard Tanks Are a Game Changer with Significant Risks

With the delivery of Leopard battle tanks from Germany, the Ukraine war is entering into a new and dangerous phase. Olaf Scholz must now clean up the political damage he has caused, hold his country together and find a path with his international partners to end the conflict.

By Markus Becker, Tobias Becker, Susanne Beyer, Matthias Gebauer, Konstantin von Hammerstein, Peter Maxwill, Veit Medick, René Pfister, Tobias Rapp und Steffen Winter

27.01.2023, 18.12 Uhr

There are two iterations of German Chancellor Olaf Scholz these days. One is calm, almost diffident, the Scholz the country knows best. This iteration is the one most often seen on television or in the Bundestag, Germany's parliament. A man who seems almost impervious to the political machinations going on around him. Like on Wednesday of this week: out of the car, into the Bundestag, out of the Bundestag and back into the car. Here and there a smile.

Being the chancellor isn't so tough after all.

The other Olaf Scholz, though, isn't visible to the public eye. The second iteration, say staff members and other members of his center-left Social Democratic Party (SPD), shows up behind closed doors in smaller meetings and policy debates, on telephone calls and in confidential sessions. That Scholz is prone to the occasional outburst.

On some occasions, he'll go after the media, on others he'll voice his anger with political analysts, and periodically, critics from within his own governing coalition will be the focus of his wrath. All those who, from his perspective, have abandoned discretion and have been gripped by war fever. Those who, according to Scholz, shy away from nothing when it comes to sending weapons systems to Ukraine – first demanding howitzers, then tanks, now warplanes, and at some point, no doubt, troops.

"These warmongers!" he apparently roared during an internal meeting this week. "These hawks!" The pressure that had been building during the previous weeks finally erupted. His frustration with, and indeed disdain for, all those who accuse him of not being suited for the current situation.

Not up to the task? Ridiculous. He would show them all once again. That appears to be how Scholz himself views the situation.

[...]

The push for delivering German Leopard 2 tanks to Ukraine began in late summer 2022. It was a time when Scholz's primary focus was actually on the energy crisis, but in the background, pressure on him was growing to finally budge on the Leopards, which are widely considered to be top-of-the-line battle tanks. They could, people in several Western capitals believed, then as now, be enough to turn the tide.

In mid-September, the Americans ratcheted up the pressure on the Germans to send Leopards to Ukraine. Amy Gutmann, the U.S. ambassador in Berlin, praised Germany for all it has done for Ukraine to that point, but added: "My expectations are even higher." The message was clear: It was time to finally do something.

Scholz, though, wasn't ready. He was concerned about an escalation of the conflict in Ukraine and was strictly opposed to Germany sticking its neck out further than other countries supporting Ukraine. Discussions in the Chancellery were focused at the time on how Putin might respond if Germany were to send tanks on its own. Nuclear attacks, cyber attacks that could paralyze critical infrastructure, sabotage of important pipelines through which gas flows from Norway to Germany: The scenarios presented by Germany's foreign intelligence agency, the BND, were chilling.

And Scholz was taking them seriously. Precisely because of such threats, according to his closest advisers, he wanted to have the Americans at his side. If Germany sent tanks, it would do so only if Washington agreed to send some of its own – that was his approach, his way of spreading the risk. The Americans, though, just shook their heads. Weren't they already doing enough?

There are around 2,000 Leopard tanks in the arsenals of NATO member states in Europe, and they are far easier to maintain than the Abrams tanks from the U.S., such was the position of the U.S. Department of Defense. The Abrams run on jet fuel and turbine engines, making the logistics far too complicated, the Pentagon stressed.

But the chancellor also had other concerns at the time: public opinion. Surveys were showing that while many Germans were afraid, others wanted to see decisiveness. One group rejected the idea of heavy weapons deliveries out of hand, the other believed them to be an absolute necessity if Ukraine was going to stand up to Putin. Scholz was eager to avoid alienating anybody and his approach to the war included both toughness and precaution. From the outside, though, it looked a lot like indecision and prevarication.

Meanwhile, the Russians were busy fortifying their positions along the frontline, a development that Kyiv found alarming, leading Ukrainian leaders to intensify their calls for help. Only with battle tanks, insisted the team surrounding Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy as 2022 changed to 2023, would Ukraine be able to break through enemy lines.

During this period, Scholz's foreign policy advisor, Jens Plötner, was speaking by phone almost every day with U.S. National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan. The White House, after all, has its own set of considerations when it comes to aid for Ukraine, with the Republicans looking for any possible excuse to question Biden's approach. In principle, Plötner and Sullivan agreed that Ukraine needed battle tanks to stand its ground against Russia. But the fundamental conflict remained unresolved. Scholz would only send tanks if the Americans did as well, that was Berlin's message. And it cast a sudden cloud over trans-Atlantic relations.

Then, in early January, there was a sudden shift. Berlin finally indicated its willingness to send Marder infantry fighting vehicles if the U.S. and other allies were to do the same. The U.S. acquiesced, agreeing to send Bradleys to Kyiv from its stockpiles, and Paris also gave the green light for similar equipment. It was intended as a clear signal from the alliance, but then, French President Emmanuel Macron, who had to that point elegantly refrained from getting his hands dirty in the arms debate, ruined the moment. He pressed ahead with the announcement that Paris would be sending armored reconnaissance vehicles to Ukraine.

Biden Showed Understanding, But Stressed Military's Doubts

Again, Scholz was stuck looking like a follower rather than a leader, and he rushed out his own announcement about the Marders. In Eastern Europe, meanwhile, unrest was rapidly growing, and some in Scholz's coalition were likewise confused. What about the Leopards?

The Tuesday before last, the issue was finally kicked upstairs, with Scholz and Biden discussing it over the phone. The chancellor, according to people familiar with the conversation, told the U.S. president that he could imagine sending Leopards to Ukraine, but only in concert with the U.S. He reminded Biden of the position taken by Washington on sanctions at the beginning of the war – that the countries supporting Ukraine needed to act together. And that Biden demanded at the time that Germany support a tough course.

If the German narrative of the meeting between Biden and Scholz is true, then the U.S. president showed understanding for the chancellor's position, but also stressed the U.S. military's doubts about the expedience and technical feasibility of sending Abrams tanks. The two leaders adjourned and set advisers to work on the discrete search for a solution.

Scholz's team, according to Chancellery sources, then began applying pressure wherever they could in recent days. At the World Economic Forum in Davos, in Washington, in Berlin: Every contact was deployed in the effort. And Biden found himself in an awkward position: His own military leaders were advising him to refrain from sending Abrams tanks, but he had little choice if he wanted to protect the alliance.

Suddenly, though, a wrench was thrown into the works. On the day after the discussion between Scholz and Biden, German media reported that the Chancellor presented the U.S. president with an ultimatum: namely that Leopard tanks would only be sent to Ukraine if the Americans sent Abrams as well. In Washington, the leak was seen as an affront. The impression that other countries could blackmail the White House was a dangerous one. And at the Pentagon, the incident reinforced their concerns. Many at the Department of Defense had come to believe that, by attaching conditions to German tank deliveries, Scholz was primarily interested in precluding tank deliveries altogether, or at least significantly slowing things down. But the important meeting of Ukraine backers scheduled to take place at the Ramstein Air Base in Germany was quickly approaching. Many hoped that progress would be made there.

Again, though, Scholz's office got in the way. Shortly before the Ramstein meeting, the head of the Chancellery, Wolfgang Schmidt, told U.S. Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin in Berlin that only a joint tank deal was possible. Scholz, he said, would never agree to Germany going it alone. This discussion, too, was leaked to the press, this time by U.S. sources. The Munich-based daily Süddeutsche Zeitung reported that Austin had left the meeting in frustration and that voices had been raised. The German version, though, was quite a bit different. According to that account, Austin had listened calmly to the arguments from the Scholz team and had emphasized that he respected the German position. Then, he reportedly said that he had to discuss things with Biden.

In the public eye, meanwhile, Scholz had suddenly started looking like someone who wasn't just standing in the way of tank deliveries, but was also inflicting damage on the trans-Atlantic relationship. Scholz's junior government coalition partner, the business-friendly Free Democratic Party (FDP) criticized the chancellor's inaction as a "catastrophe." Poland announced that it was planning to officially request permission from Berlin to send 14 Leopard tanks to Ukraine and that it was considering ignoring a possible German veto. British historian Timothy Garton Ash, meanwhile, turned to Twitter to make fun of the chancellor, coining the term "scholzing" and including a definition: "communicating good intentions, only to use/find/invent any reason imaginable to delay these and/or prevent them from happening."

It suddenly looked as though Scholz had been caught in an avalanche of criticism – to the public eye, at least. In the background, though, things were looking up. Biden was coming around.

The breakthrough was finally achieved at the beginning of this week. Jake Sullivan again called Berlin, this time with good news. He reported that the White House was planning on overriding the Pentagon's concerns and delivering enough Abrams tanks for a Ukrainian battalion. That would translate to 31 tanks, not a huge amount, and they wouldn't be sent immediately. They might not even be available until the end of the year. But for Scholz, Biden's concession was the key to greenlighting the delivery of the Leopards. The U.S. president had clearly shown that the alliance is more important to him than the interests of his own military.

For Scholz, the compromise was a success, but for Biden, it came at a significant political price. When the president presented his decision in the White House on Wednesday, one reporter asked: "Did Germany force you to change your mind on sending tanks?" Biden laughed and said no, he hadn't been forced.

Either way, Scholz dragged his feet, which isn't exactly a testament to his leadership qualities. He desperately wanted U.S. protection, which makes it look as though he doesn't have too much faith in Europe's self-reliance. On the other hand, the public verdict regarding the chancellor's alleged indecision may have been a bit premature – because he got what he wanted from Biden. It may be that the tanks will arrive in Ukraine too late because of Scholz, it may be that this deal was ultimately more of a friendly gesture from the U.S. president than part of a well-executed plan. But the danger that Putin can now divide the West, that he might single out Germany as an adversary because of the delivery of Leopard tanks, has grown smaller. That is on the plus side of the ledger for Scholz. The flip side is that egos have been dented, with everyone fighting for him or herself. And that's not good for the evolution of the war.

[...]

It has been an exhausting few weeks for Scholz, but what lies ahead is unlikely to be any less draining. Because now this is also Scholz's war – with its battle tanks, Germany is now at the apex of the anti-Putin alliance. Germany's relationship with the U.S. is too important, so Scholz will also have to make concessions to the Americans in the coming months.

At home, Scholz will also need to demonstrate a different kind of leadership. One that is more open and less secretive. The fact that for several weeks, he hardly made any attempt to explain his course, for which there are certainly good reasons, made him appear weak, inscrutable. At a meeting this week with SPD lawmakers, Scholz said, according to participants, that it has to be possible for him to speak to other heads of government without half the world listening in.

Fair enough. But the war is now entering a new phase, and the chancellor must finally find a language to bring his country along with him. He should be explaining why the tanks are needed and what Germany's and the West's larger strategic goals are. How far do you go in helping Ukraine? Where should the country's future borders lie? Should Crimea be part of future Ukraine or not? And does anyone have any idea how this war will end?

"Trust me," Scholz said on Wednesday in parliament. It didn't sound as though he was trying to change his style. Once again, it sounded like: I have a master plan and you will hear about it eventually. The question is whether such an approach can ever be successful.

[...]

https://www.spiegel.de/interna...ec-8159-9e16c8d0f27e

Posts: 2416 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I read that the train tracks in Ukraine are only rated for 40 ton loads and these Abrams are pushing 60 tons each. Going to be interesting to see how they pull this off.

You load 60 tons and what do you get?

Another day older and deeper in debt.

Posts: 15893 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every Dollar The U.S. Throws At Ukraine Zaps Resources From Our Own Depleted Military

https://thefederalist.com/2023...n-depleted-military/

The state of U.S. military production should be more concerning to the American public than Ukraine’s corruption.

Earlier this week, The New York Times reported on the Ukrainian government’s recent shake-up to fight corruption. “The dismissals appeared to reflect Mr. Zelensky’s goal of reassuring Ukraine’s allies — which are sending billions of dollars in military aid — that his government would show zero tolerance for graft as it prepares for a possible new offensive by Moscow,” according to the Times. Why did it take Volodymyr Zelensky 11 months to address the corruption issue? There have been signs of the problem for many months now.

Ukrainian-born Rep. Victoria Spartz, R-Ind., who at the beginning of the invasion was very supportive of Ukraine, more recently began to question Zelensky’s administration. Spartz wanted to have greater oversight on American aid to Ukraine, for which she was criticized by many in both parties.

With the recent removal of several officials, it appears there were grounds for questioning where the funds were being spent in Ukraine. The United States has been by far the largest supporter of military aid to that country, despite the European Union having similar GDP and 100 million more in population. Military equipment is the most important aid to keeping Ukraine’s military armed and fighting, which might be why Zelensky is trying to address corruption now.

With Republicans having control of the House of Representatives, several Republicans want greater oversight of the money being sent to Ukraine. It is unfortunate that it took a change in House leadership to make sure American taxpayer money is being spent properly overseas.

U.S. Military Production at Risk

The state of U.S. military production was another news story that broke this month — and this story should be more concerning to the American public than Ukraine’s problems. The Center for Strategic and International Studies think tank released a report on the U.S. defense industry and military aid to Ukraine. The report found that the United States’ “defense industrial base is not adequately prepared for the competitive security environment that now exists.” The United States is ranked third in casting production, which is necessary for creating weapon systems, and the lag time for the production of most weapons is more than a year.

CSIS believes the United States would run out of precision missiles and other advanced technology in less than a week in a Taiwan Strait conflict. If that were to happen, the United States would have to resort to more crude weapon types, just as Russia has resorted to in Ukraine. The 20 High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems (HIMARS) that the United States sent to Ukraine could be replaced in about three years depending on the production surge rate. HIMARS have been very effective in Ukraine, but this highlights the continued danger of the United States’ ability to produce weapon systems. If America needs many of these weapon systems in short order, it appears the capability is not there to produce them.

A Depleted Military Can’t Overcommit

This is not a debate about aid to Ukraine but rather a debate on U.S. military production capabilities. The war in Ukraine should be viewed as a sideshow for the United States by capability alone. More than $100 billion in aid has been sent to Ukraine. This is not a small amount, but with a defense budget of more than $700 billion annually, the Ukraine war should not be straining our military. If a conflict did arise that threatened the United States, it would certainly expend more munitions and weapon systems than the Ukraine-Russian war has spent.

For a historical example, the battles fought over Ukraine in World War II committed roughly a third of Germany’s and the Soviet Union’s armies on the Eastern Front. If there is a larger conflict today, the United States would have to commit many more weapons in more theaters than just Ukraine.

Without a strong production capability, the United States would have to sacrifice its commitments in several regions throughout the world. Many Americans don’t want to hear this, and many policymakers ignore this reality, but unless the industrial production gets stronger, we might see many more Afghanistan withdrawals and friendly nations subjugated by great power rivals. Sen. Josh Hawley, R-Mo., wrote in December to Secretary of State Antony Blinken that there was a $18.7 billion weapons backlog for Taiwan. If the United States is falling behind in its support during peacetime, it would certainly fall further behind during a war.

For years, the United States ignored its industrial weakness and capability, and media outlets and politicians mocked the idea of shipbuilding and fleet sizes, only to find it a valid concern 10 years later. If the United States wants to compete in the coming decades on the world stage, it needs to address this clear weakness in its military. For the past 30 years, the United States has waged war on rogue nations and terrorists in distant regions. The world has changed, and those wars that were fought over the past decades should not be viewed as the standard for defense planners.

The CSIS report also mentions how high inflation is damaging U.S. production. Policymakers need to get the United States economy back on a strong footing, with a stronger dollar and a robust energy sector.

Hope in Historical Precedent

The good news is that this has been done before. In 1968, the United States was in a fairly similar situation as today. The Johnson administration had spent much on both domestic and foreign policy. The war on poverty and the Vietnam War had drained our nation’s budget, weakened its economy, and constrained its movement in the world. Throughout the 1970s the United States had high inflation, severe energy shortages, cultural divisions, and a defeated military. Due to the paralysis of the United States, the Soviet Union took advantage in the 1970s and expanded its influence in the world.

With the right reforms, the United States under President Ronald Reagan was able to challenge the Soviets by the mid-1980s and eventually win the Cold War to become the sole superpower in the 1990s. This is not that far off from where the United States is currently. The war on terror and war on Covid expended many of our nation’s resources, just as our chief rivals are becoming more aggressive.

The bad news is that the United States might not have long to right the ship. We need leaders and policymakers who can quickly make these important adjustments and have a clear and honest vision of what the future holds for the United States.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
In only three years we built, to name just one example, almost 4,000 B-29 bombers. Good luck with even a tiny fraction of that today. To be fair, the entire economy was dedicated to war production back then, but the point is that today we aren't even replacing what we've expended.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rollah
Picture of Replacement Tommel
posted Hide Post
The Abrahms has DU armor panels. US law forbids transfer of such, so "export" M1s has the DU inserts replaced with tungsten inserts instead. The one the Ukrainians are getting will have tungsten inserts and have to be converted so they will be getting the German Leopards long before they get our M-1s.

(Note: the Saudi M1s that were destroyed in Yemen were the "export" M1s with the tungsten inserts... the Ukrainians are bound to use their armor better than the Saudis did when they get our tanks)

-Tom

"For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs resistance/For the Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks, "What I Live for"

Posts: 10567 | Location: Boyertown, PA USA | Registered: July 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Here's an interesting video I stumbled across today, showing GoPro footage of a close quarters gunfight involving a small unit of international fighters in Ukraine attempting to dig a Russian unit out of a house in which they had barricaded themselves. (They claim the Russians were Spetsnaz, but there's no way to verify that. Could be kinda like how in WW2, some GIs would claim every German unit they fought were Waffen-SS and every tank they encountered was a Tiger...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQeyk1BQ7LE

I won't bother embedding, because it's age-restricted so you have to click through to YouTube anyway. But the video itself isn't graphic/bloody, since nobody is hit on screen, and still photos at the end of the after-effects are pixelated/censored.

Based on this and the other videos, the camera guy himself appears to be a European volunteer (slightly accented English) working as part of an light anti-tank rocket team alongside several Americans, at least one Canadian, and other Europeans. There are several prior videos in the series showing the immediate lead-up to this house fight, with them hunting down Russian BMPs operating in the area, but this particular video showing their eventual engagement in a close quarters fight is the most intense.

It even highlights the importance of hearing protection in combat, with the cameraman partially deafened by some earlier rocket explosions which leads to some issues that his team must manage in this video, and another member of his team shown doing the classic "wiggle my jaw to try to clear my ears because they're ringing like hell" move immediately after several full mags and some frags are set off right next to his head. (*MAWP*)

Starting ~2 decades ago, OEF/OIF began to feature an increase in combat footage due to portable video recorders becoming smaller, cheaper, and better. Nowadays, the trend has continued as high quality ruggedized digital cameras are now widely available, leading to a ton of available combat footage like this coming out of Ukraine.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I viewed that vid yesterday Rogue. Several frag grenades quieted things down inside that house. I think in the end they were dragging 1 injured and the dead out when a artillary round landed and most of those guys did get hurt.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
This evening I learned of a device donated by Germany called DM22 Parma. Its a anti armor mine which can set for as long as 40 days in wait. It triggers via fiber optic cable or infrared. Does a good job on tanks from the side impact. Saw a vid of a few russians in small groups on foot. They had tripped the damn thing and got destroyed immediately. The poster of the video called it a death ray.. Big Grin. They aren't intended for use on individuals but do work well.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ Saw that as well. A couple of people elsewhere were speculating those were missiles (an admittedly expensive way to get a half dozen infantry or so) just because the blast appeared to 'continue on' past the targeted infantrymen.

I'd love to think those were German mines instead; surely those are easier for the Ukrainians to obtain and use in quantity. At the moment the Russians still seem to have a whole heck of a lot more infantrymen than tanks over there.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post