SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is that idiot Biden gonna get us in a war with Russia or China?
Page 1 ... 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 ... 193
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is that idiot Biden gonna get us in a war with Russia or China? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
If Biden wins then OUR country will be overrun by a communist tyrant. It goes without saying... kiss gun ownership, religious expression, and everything else that defines this country goodbye .

Posts: 644 | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
(Sigh)

Biden has already been squatting in the White House for almost two years. He's been steadily shooting himself in the foot every day until we've reached the point where we are now: the Repubs are poised to take over both the House and the Senate if they play their cards right.

McCarthy is demanding accountability for the weapons rather than insisting on shutting off the pipeline to Ukraine, and the USDoD already has personnel in Ukraine monitoring where the weapons go.

The US has staked an enormous part of its prestige and international influence on getting the Euros (and others) to stop feeding Putin cash and computer chips and keep feeding weapons and ammunition to the Ukrainians. You can reverse that - if you didn't get enough agita out of the way we stumbled out of Afghanistan.

Catch up, man.

Posts: 27303 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Carpentermaass84:
If Biden wins then OUR country will be overrun by a communist tyrant. It goes without saying... kiss gun ownership, religious expression, and everything else that defines this country goodbye .
What does that mean? If Biden "wins" what?

Posts: 109160 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Who is monitoring the weaponry Brandon gave to the Taliban?

Posts: 16204 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:

Powerball!! Come on man! It’s up to $1.5 billion. He wins that he will buy twitter back and take all our stuff. Big Grin

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

He didn't win the first election but if he "wins" this one then we are in for a world of hurt.

Posts: 644 | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The 2024 election?

OK, mark this post- I am telling you that Joe Biden will not be the nominee for the Democratic Party in 2024. Not only will he not be the candidate, there is a decent chance that the man will not finish out his first term.
And all this stuff about "if he wins, we lose everything"- let's take it easy with the exaggerations. We still have a Constitution.

OK? No Joe next time around, and feel free to call me on it if I'm wrong.

Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
We should start reducing aid to Ukraine as soon as we can in a responsible manner. A blank check to fight a proxy war is morally reprehensible and not even necessarily in our best interest. Realpolitik and a quick cessation to the hostilities is really in every ones best interest, but as always War propaganda has twisted this into a good versus evil drama.

Posts: 2050 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
All the leftists are on to their next moral crusade. War turns out to take a long time, and it gets boring, you know?

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bdylan:
Realpolitik and a quick cessation to the hostilities is really in every ones best interest, but as always War propaganda has twisted this into a good versus evil drama.

Actually, Putin's behavior since 1999 has consistently shown that "Realpolitik and a quick cessation to the hostilities" would simply (and inevitably) lead to yet another and even bloodier Russian attack on Ukraine within a few years.

By the way, what have we done that constitutes writing a "blank check to fight a proxy war"?

We've trained them for years - including under the Trump Administration - so there are standards the American government can hold them to. We didn't start supplying them with weapons until they'd proven that they could and would stand and fight effectively. There have been multiple reports citing Pentagon sources saying the weapons we sent them are being used effectively, efficiently, and within the agreed-to geographical constraints. While the US has backed Ukraine's ambitions to reclaim the entirety of its seized territories, Ukraine is clearly aware that the US won't support any adventurist jaunts into Russia itself, and Ukraine hasn't made any strikes in Russia that weren't close to the border and limited to military personnel and material being sent into Ukraine. So where's the "blank check" you speak of?

Posts: 27303 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
Realpolitik and a quick cessation to the hostilities is really in every ones best interest, but as always War propaganda has twisted this into a good versus evil drama.

Actually, Putin's behavior since 1999 has consistently shown that "Realpolitik and a quick cessation to the hostilities" would simply (and inevitably) lead to yet another and even bloodier Russian attack on Ukraine within a few years.

By the way, what have we done that constitutes writing a "blank check to fight a proxy war"?

We've trained them for years - including under the Trump Administration - so there are standards the American government can hold them to. We didn't start supplying them with weapons until they'd proven that they could and would stand and fight effectively. There have been multiple reports citing Pentagon sources saying the weapons we sent them are being used effectively, efficiently, and within the agreed-to geographical constraints. While the US has backed Ukraine's ambitions to reclaim the entirety of its seized territories, Ukraine is clearly aware that the US won't support any adventurist jaunts into Russia itself, and Ukraine hasn't made any strikes in Russia that weren't close to the border and limited to military personnel and material being sent into Ukraine. So where's the "blank check" you speak of?

The blank check is the commitment to support Ukraine until the end of hostilities and through the eventual rebuild. If we can start reducing aid today, then fine...no problems. Nothing factual to suggest Putin can't be negotiated with and a resolution reached. Putin's behavior since '99 isn't really applicable here...in Ukraine he's taking tremendous losses and facing a coalition funded adversary that he can't roll over quickly. He has every reason to negotiate a settlement. Kissinger could wrap this thing up in one visit. The Ukrainians are being incentivized to fight a proxy war for the west...this could drag on for years with several possible outcomes. It's not a good versus evil showdown and Ukraine is not the first domino...it's a dispute between neighboring countries.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 2024 election?

OK, mark this post- I am telling you that Joe Biden will not be the nominee for the Democratic Party in 2024. Not only will he not be the candidate, there is a decent chance that the man will not finish out his first term.
And all this stuff about "if he wins, we lose everything"- let's take it easy with the exaggerations. We still have a Constitution.

OK? No Joe next time around, and feel free to call me on it if I'm wrong.

I honestly think there is going to be a sudden shift starting November 9th that we are going to see from the MSM and Democrats; they're going to start talking up "Biden should retire", "should he step down?", "is he up for the rigors of the job?".

I think it's coming.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

U.S. to Support Ukraine for ‘As Long as It Takes,’ Biden Says

https://www.wsj.com/articles/r...in-warns-11656582672

Soo, according to POTATUS, we're in it 'for as long as it takes'...That pretty much sounds like a 'blank check' commitment to me!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9440 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Really? Because it sounds to me like the effort is working towards a defined goal and comes with limitations on what weapons are available and where they can be used.

Or is there a reason why the US should never intervene (including in Europe in two word wars) beyond the point where the aggressor might be willing to negotiate if we beg hard enough?

And, yeah, that's why Putin's behavior since 1999 is relevant. If he's been forced to back off, it's only temporary - despite whatever the West in general and the US in particular has done and is willing to do. We aren't in any more of a hurry to police an agreement that we know Putin will ignore (sooner, rather than later - Putin's history also shows us that) than we are to get in a war with Russia. Is he taking terrific losses? Sure - that's why he wants a negotiated settlement, so he can recruit, train and resupply for the next attack on Ukraine. We know that's true because this is just one of a succession of attacks on Ukraine, and because Putin has repeatedly and publicly defined his goal as eliminating Ukraine as a nation.

By the way, that's why the only way that this conflict can "drag on for years" is if we force a negotiated settlement on Ukraine (assuming we can, since partisan warfare is always an option, and Ukraine's Eastern European support isn't simply going to go away). Even then, it won't be with "several possible outcomes" - we'll have essentially condemned Ukraine to defeat for no reason at all. If we're just trying to negotiate an end to the war, there's no reason for Putin to stop doing precisely what he's been doing for 23 freaking years.

We know this isn't just "a dispute between neighboring countries" for the same reason. Putin had no reason to dispute with Ukraine. Putin has pursued incremental invasion strategies in not only Ukraine but in Moldova and Georgia - and those are only the cases where a straightforward invasion didn't work, as in Chechnya. You can't simply wish real hard and make Putin's track record go away when Putin keeps invading Russia's neighbors in what Putin himself has stated is an effort to reassemble the Russian empire as it was in the Soviet era.

As for the eventual rebuild, we haven't even started talking about that yet. It's premature to simply assume the US is going to be stuck with the bill. Unless, of course, we feel compelled to offer to help with rebuilding if Ukraine accepts a negotiated settlement that Ukraine knows perfectly well will lead to further Russian aggression in the near term.

By the way, it's absurd to suggest that the Ukrainians "are being incentivized to fight a proxy war for the west" when they're fighting to keep their own homes and to protect their own people from an attack Russia launched on them. You honestly have to ignore reality in order to believe that the Ukrainians are fighting because they're "incentivized" or that they don't fight for their own perfectly legitimate reasons.

Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
I believe Ukraine would have already negotiated a settlement if the west wasn't falling all over itself to fund this conflict. It's a regional dispute and no amount of cold war era rhetoric will make it a conflict that should involve the west and clashing super powers. Putin went into Ukraine because he could...he knows now that he actually can't. Make a peace and quit fighting a proxy war...it's really that simple. The big loser is always the U.S. taxpayer and while we're depleting the treasury in Ukraine, our actual enemy is preparing to take Taiwan. It's going to get very expensive paying to keep the world safe.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:

Again.

And at this point I don’t care what happens to the clueless if/when Russia succeeds with its latest crime against humanity and it becomes the norm because of their cravenness. I do, however, find a little gratification in the fact that at least a few people understand what’s at stake. When I become depressed by the state of my species, now and then I think, “Yeah, but ….” So thank you for making the effort to keep a candle of reason lit.

6.4/93.6

“I regret that I am to now die in the belief, that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776, to acquire self-government and happiness to their country, is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be, that I live not to weep over it.”
— Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 47719 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe Ukraine would have already negotiated a settlement if the west wasn't falling all over itself to fund this conflict.

Likely correct. Ukraine would have negotiated a complete submission to Putin, a dissolution of the Ukrainian government, and a massive concession of land mass. Until Putin wanted more.

You know, WWII may have remained a "regional conflict" had the majority of the advanced world inserted themselves or their arms at an early enough time.

Posts: 73 | Registered: February 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a regional dispute and no amount of cold war era rhetoric will make it a conflict that should involve the west and clashing super powers.

Cold war rhetoric isn't the problem. Putin's cold war era behavior is.
quote:
It's going to get very expensive paying to keep the world safe.

Have you considered that it's simply expensive to have Joe Biden squatting in the White House?

We knew the vultures would smell weakness - that point was raised on this very forum several times. And we fully expected the vultures to attack in the expectation that Biden would do nothing, did we not? Now one vulture is taking a rather scientific and comprehensive beating in Ukraine while the other one is still dithering over whether it can keep the home scene stable, bring its military up to speed AND swallow up Taiwan before January 2025.

All things considered, that may not be all that bad a position to be in while we try to run out the clock until Biden has go back to Delaware.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Ukraine is beginning to manufacture weapons supplies on their own now. Ammo for artillary. Weapons which they do not get from the west, would these be restricted from use hitting inside Russia? Russia hasnt suffered a cracked window while Ukraine has more damage than a nuke produces. WTH are we doing back in Haiti now? Fuel blockades, military aircraft and armored vehicles? Those people really do not like us.

Posts: 17987 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
It's a regional dispute and no amount of cold war era rhetoric will make it a conflict that should involve the west and clashing super powers.

Cold war rhetoric isn't the problem. Putin's cold war era behavior is.
quote:
It's going to get very expensive paying to keep the world safe.

Have you considered that it's simply expensive to have Joe Biden squatting in the White House?

We knew the vultures would smell weakness - that point was raised on this very forum several times. And we fully expected the vultures to attack in the expectation that Biden would do nothing, did we not? Now one vulture is taking a rather scientific and comprehensive beating in Ukraine while the other one is still dithering over whether it can keep the home scene stable, bring its military up to speed AND swallow up Taiwan before January 2025.

All things considered, that may not be all that bad a position to be in while we try to run out the clock until Biden has go back to Delaware.

I don't disagree with this and it was inevitable that Russia would make it's move under a Biden administration. My fear is that China fully intends to take advantage of this time frame as well. Even the beginning of a peace process in Ukraine would be encouraging.