SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is that idiot Biden gonna get us in a war with Russia or China?
Page 1 ... 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 ... 193
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is that idiot Biden gonna get us in a war with Russia or China? Login/Join 
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
80-100k dead Russians, WOW!

Posts: 5551 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Has anyone seen these videos with the drones dropping grenades and artillery shells on top of Russian troops? Holy shit

Posts: 34580 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Yes

Posts: 5551 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BansheeOne:
The long-anticipated Russian retreat from the Kherson district north of the Dniepro River appears to have gone down; troops blew the Antonovsky Bridge behind them after withdrawing from Kherson City, one of two fixed crossings in the area. For once, this was an orderly fallback, with 20,000 troops and 3,500 vehicles claimed evacuated while Ukraine held back, merely seizing abandoned positions.

There seems to have been a lot of chatter about Russian troops deliberately left in the area, with a fair few stories about those left there either holing up in basements (desertion is a shooting offense) or switching to civilian clothing and trying to make their own way east across the river. There may not be any solid information about how many Russians and how much Russian equipment got left behind until the fighting there is over and the dust settles.

Posts: 27303 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...all-back/ar-AA140ckZ

Ukrainian Troops Raise Flag in Kherson as Russian Troops Fall Back

Kyiv's armed forces appear to have raised flags in the key Ukrainian city of Kherson, after Russian troops retreated from the western portion of the southern region.

Ukrainian flags appeared at the city council building on Friday, after Kviv soldiers appeared to enter the city of Kherson, according to reports on social media.

Local publication Most reported that Kherson residents had flooded the streets to meet the military. Images published by the publication show residents covering themselves with the Ukrainian flag.

Some local media outlets reported that Ukrainian forces have already entered the city.

A Russian flag was pulled down from the administration building in Kherson just last week.

On November 3, Yuriy Sobolevskyi, the deputy head of Kherson's regional council, posted a photo on his Telegram channel saying that a Russian flag had been removed.

Sergey Surovikin, who became the new head of Russia's forces in Ukraine in October, said on Wednesday that his troops would be retreating across the Dnieper River to "preserve the lives of our soldiers and the combat capability of the troop group."

Russia's defense ministry claimed on Friday morning that all Russian soldiers had been moved across the Dnieper to the eastern bank. Ukrainian officials remain cautious, and say the process could take a week.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said in a statement on Friday that so far, 41 Kherson settlements have been liberated as Kyiv conducts its southern counteroffensive.

Ukraine's Defense Minister Oleksiy Reznikov told Reuters in an interview on Thursday evening that Russia would need at least a week to withdraw troops from the western bank of the Dnieper River.

According to him, Russia has 40,000 soldiers in the Kherson region.

Reznikov noted that Russian troops still remain in Kherson—around the city and on the west bank of the Dnieper—despite the fact that Moscow has announced a retreat.

"It is not so easy to withdraw these troops from Kherson in one or two days. As a minimum, (it will take) one week," he said, noting that Russia's actions can be unpredictable.

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
80-100k dead Russians, WOW!

I think the estimate is approximately 100,000 casualties- dead and wounded.

Posts: 1000 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Yes

https://www.reuters.com/world/...-general-2022-11-10/

America's top general estimated on Wednesday that Russia's military had seen more than 100,000 of its soldiers killed and wounded in Ukraine, and added Kyiv's armed forces "probably" suffered a similar level of casualties in the war.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
There have been many bomb dropping videos on YouTube for months.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47699 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Yes

https://www.reuters.com/world/...-general-2022-11-10/

America's top general estimated on Wednesday that Russia's military had seen more than 100,000 of its soldiers killed and wounded in Ukraine, and added Kyiv's armed forces "probably" suffered a similar level of casualties in the war.

Yeah, but that's Milley, and Milley is a backstabbing fool who's prone to hysterics.

FWhateverIW, the Ukrainians are claiming to have actually killed over 78,000 on that little scorecard that pops up from time to time on the internutz. Then again, they include soldiers from Donbas and Luhansk, so it's hard to say how many actual Russians they're claiming to have killed.

Posts: 27303 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
There have been many bomb dropping videos on YouTube for months.

Are these "drone" videos real?
Most of the videos I have watched seem like they are fake.

Posts: 4692 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
The ones in the video above look to be mortar rounds.

Mortar rounds have fuses…many involve having the fuse “setback” to prime it…some fuses require a certain number of revolutions before arming (obviously not with a mortar round)

It seems to me that the fuses would have had to have been disabled before fixing them to a drone…which seems super unsafe from a loaders perspective..

But I wasn’t in mortars, can anyone who did work with them chime in an clue us in.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11468 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
They are actually small grenades with portions of the body and fins being 3D printed. One such vid showed a drop directly into the open top hatch of a T72 with men inside, causing a fire and secondary from tank rounds. Best one I haved viewed yet, 2 Russians in a trench, perhaps 20 feet apart. Grenade drop direct hit atop ones helmet. The helmet flies high velocity about 100 feet. Needless to say..

Posts: 17985 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
The drones being used are small and the payload is small. I think the big Turkish drones carry larger ordnance.

Posts: 17985 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
The HIMARS which Ukraine has been sending have a main body tube of stainless steel. This tube has a diamond pattern cut about 3/16" deep into its interior wall. When it impacts, those diamonds become fragments which kill everything within a smaller area. The new missles they will be useing soon are much different. Not only long range but filled IIRC, 82,000 tungsten ball bearings. Whatever constitutes a salvo will kill everything in a half square mile. I wouldnt want to be a Russian with my head above ground. To be clear, there are 82,000 ball bearings inside 1 missle tube.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
I have to confess. I thought the description of the HIMARS was a bit exaggerated. But it was not.

Indeed it is not 82,000 ball bearings, but rather 182,000

testing video

the new M30A1 round is being implemented to limit duds by replacing the smaller explosives with 180,000 tungsten steel bee-bee-sized balls.

(yes the video says 16k)

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Thank you sdy for the clearification. Its a flying scatter gun. Where Russia is entrenched east of the river, their seperate trenches are shorter than a quarter mile in length. HIMARS will clean those out nicely.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I kept seeing HIMARS mentioned, but I didn't know what it was or bother looking into it. Wow, that is a nasty piece of ordnance!

Posts: 17647 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since you asked.

Posts: 17502 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I don’t know that we should discuss the weapon too much lest our sensitive pacifists become disturbed by its effectiveness at hurting their buddies, the Communist invaders and demand that it be banned.

Although if it makes any difference, somewhat similar multiple rocket artillery weapons were used by the Germans and Russians in World War II so there is precedence for their use. Although I’m not very familiar with their characteristics, they were area coverage weapons employed in large numbers of tubes and obviously had no precision targeting capability. As I recall, the Germans referred to the Russian weapons as “Stalin’s organs,” and allied soldiers referred to the German weapons as “screaming Mimis.”

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47699 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I believe HIMARS was used in Iraq or another GMLRS to take out a sniper atop a building. The missle picked him off from 70 miles out. I recall watching that vid several times to watch his carcass twirling 100 feet up in the air. Ukraine has thus far been limited to short range missles out to around 60 miles. The new supply will allow them to target around 180. There is a HIMARS missle which can hit dead on out to 300 but the fear is that Ukraine might go for Moscow.