SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Salt Lake PD puts on duty ED Charge Nurse in handcuffs
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 23
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Salt Lake PD puts on duty ED Charge Nurse in handcuffs Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
(laughs)

quote:
Idaho police department on Friday revealed that the patient in a Utah hospital is one of its reserve officers and thanked the “heroic” nurse who informed law enforcement that it was against hospital policy to draw blood from an unconscious patient without a warrant.

The Rigby Police Department in a statement on Facebook identified the patient as William Gray, one of its reserve officers. Rigby is a city in southeast Idaho.

The department said Gray was “severely injured” in a car accident during his full-time truck-driving job.

source

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
I hope that badge heavy asshole gets fired.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
I assure you, if I am ever illegally arrested, or my rights are otherwise violated, by my agency or any other, I expect to get a payout that will lead to an early retirement.

Yep the cop was wrong.
Yep the nurse should get paid.

My problem is with the carefully crafted lawyer phrases. Just bugs me I guess.

The cop wasn't just wrong. He treated a highly-trained medical professional like a common-criminal street thug, aside from everything else. He should never have manhandled her as he did. That is the worst part of the whole thing for me. Treat the nurse with professionalism and respect, even while illegally arresting her. Nothing less was acceptable.

I have no problem with anything she and her attorney/s are doing or saying.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I think the easiest path for this officer was to escalate to the nursing supervisor, and on and on up the food chain . What did arresting the nurse net him? No blood, more paperwork, and a nomination for jackass of the week.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37983 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Okay guys,

Going to put it all on the table here and cut open a vein.

I was raised in a small town and to believe that police are the ultimate sign of respect. Literally every encounter I have had with the police have been professional and friendly.
It's in my DNA to always give officers the benefit-of-the-doubt, and these recent cases of rogue cops on video" have really caused me to question...lot's of stuff.

Naive? Maybe. But I genuinely appreciate the way most in this thread have expressed their points. Here I am in my 40's and still finding that not all of my childhood heroes are always, "heroic".

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12337 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
and a nomination for jackass of the week.

I think you're far to generous. I'd buy into jackass of the year or even decade.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
... a nomination for jackass of the week.

nomination for jackass of the week subject to a criminal investigation and suspension (albeit with pay)of the authority he was entrusted with.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31455 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Okay guys,

I was raised in a small town and to believe that police are the ultimate sign of respect. Literally every encounter I have had with the police have been professional and friendly.
It's in my DNA to always give officers the benefit-of-the-doubt, and these recent cases of rogue cops on video" have really caused me to question...lot's of stuff.

Naive? Maybe. But I genuinely appreciate the way most in this thread have expressed their points. Here I am in my 40's and still finding that not all of my childhood heroes are always, "heroic".

The reality is that police are people. If you simply look at a cross section of people there is going to be a certain percentage of "problem children" in any sizable group, be it LEOs, doctors, lawyers, EMTs/Parmedics, garbage collectors, whatever.* My experience leads me to believe that percentage is probably lower in a law enforcement organization (at least a competently run one) than the general population, but that there will still be a non-zero percentage in any significant sized agency.

In this case, it is clear that the agency is nothing like competently run, and its percentage of "problem children" may approach or even exceed that of the general population. I may have a bad attitude, but I think heads should roll over this and it should start at the top (mayor, chief) and work down from there.

*SIGforum may be the exception that proves the rule as Para seems to be pretty efficient at removing "problem children". Big Grin

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Police no longer allowed to interact with hospital nursing staff.

Well that worked out well for the police. Roll Eyes. Need blood? Draw it yourself. Coffee? Dunkin Donuts is down the street.

Bravo for the hospital administration.

Nice is overrated

Posts: 31455 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Okay guys,

I was brought up the same way in the same town. I'm 51. Two of my cousins are retired NYPD.

I have great respect and affection for police officers and think that at their best, they are representative of the better angles of our nature. Things like this pain me because they spill over and color the opinion of people toward all police officers.

Like you, almost all (not quite all, but almost) of my interactions with the police as a citizen have been positive. Professionally, however I have had police lie to a judge, misrepresent facts to me as a prosecutor, and generally screw my case. So there are some bad apples out there.

I don't let it get me down, and I give the guys doing a tough job the benefit of the doubt. But I also hold them to a high standard.

As Reagan said, "Trust, but verify."

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12782 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:
As she embraces her new founded social media fame more and more, my sympathies for this nurse become less and less....

Not for me. She waited a month, and saw that the local authorities were doing nothing. So she dropped a bomb on them. I would have done the same. I would have given them the chance to get it right on their own. Instead, they took the opportunity to try to sweep this mess under the rug and hope it went away.

She put a stop to that, and I say good for her. I don't want an officer with that kind of a short fuse carrying a gun and interacting with me. When his department didn't do anything about it, she lit them up.

Fuck them. She should be compensated for this bullshit.

+1

Posts: 5599 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you simply look at a cross section of people there is going to be a certain percentage of "problem children" in any sizable group, be it LEOs, doctors, lawyers, EMTs/Parmedics, garbage collectors, whatever.

Which is why I believe judging people on an individual basis and not by what group they belong to is the best method.

Anybody know how the injured officer fared? All of this other stuff is overshadowing the fact that this guy was seriously injured just trying to perform his job as a truck driver. I haven't read anything on his current condition.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15722 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
If you simply look at a cross section of people there is going to be a certain percentage of "problem children" in any sizable group, be it LEOs, doctors, lawyers, EMTs/Parmedics, garbage collectors, whatever.

Which is why I believe judging people on an individual basis and not by what group they belong to is the best method.

Anybody know how the injured officer fared? All of this other stuff is overshadowing the fact that this guy was seriously injured just trying to perform his job as a truck driver. I haven't read anything on his current condition.

Last I read he is in a medically induced coma.

Nice is overrated

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

Well that worked out well for the police. Roll Eyes. Need blood? Draw it yourself. Coffee? Dunkin Donuts is down the street.

right answer - you don't get to hang out with the adults until you prove you're competent

still can't understand why this guy wasn't fired...he's on vacation

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53200 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
quote:

right answer - you don't get to hang out with the adults until you prove you're competent

still can't understand why this guy wasn't fired...he's on vacation

Fired? Dude should be in PMITA prison. At a minimum a loose canon like him should never hold a job that has him carrying a weapon. Not if he's that quick to escalate things to the level of the absurd.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

Which is why I believe judging people on an individual basis and not by what group they belong to is the best method.. . .

^^^^^THIS! Amen. Hit the nail square on the head.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The new policy, which was implemented in mid-August, will require police to interact with the hospital supervisor. It also will prevent law enforcement officials from entering the emergency room, burn unit or other patient areas in the hospital."

Hopefully at the next election the people of SLC will "throw the bums out". The mayor sounds like a douchebag, and he most likely hires and promotes others that think like he does.

-c1steve

Posts: 4057 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:

From the linked article:
quote:
The new policy, which was implemented in mid-August, will require police to interact with the hospital supervisor. It also will prevent law enforcement officials from entering the emergency room, burn unit or other patient areas in the hospital.

Somebody didn't think this one through, it's going to make for a lot of problems in the ER. We routinely have an off duty officer in the ER. Then there's all the other instances of traumas, motor vehicle accidents, medical clearance for arrest, transport of petitioned psych patients, even when we have to call them to arrest a disorderly patient.

Yes, changes need to be made between how the hospital and the police interact in Salt Lake City, but this is swinging the pendulum way too far. This sounds like it came from an out of touch administrator who has no clue about the everyday happenings in the ER and thinks everything is unicorns, rainbows and jellybean fields.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11769 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:

The reality is that police are people. If you simply look at a cross section of people there is going to be a certain percentage of "problem children" in any sizable group, be it LEOs, doctors, lawyers, EMTs/Parmedics, garbage collectors, whatever.* My experience leads me to believe that percentage is probably lower in a law enforcement organization (at least a competently run one) than the general population, but that there will still be a non-zero percentage in any significant sized agency.

In this case, it is clear that the agency is nothing like competently run, and its percentage of "problem children" may approach or even exceed that of the general population. I may have a bad attitude, but I think heads should roll over this and it should start at the top (mayor, chief) and work down from there.

*SIGforum may be the exception that proves the rule as Para seems to be pretty efficient at removing "problem children". Big Grin

Officers do and should get the benefit of any doubt in a situation such as this. I think you have misidentified the situation here- time not that cops are people. You're right that any group, no matter how good the grip might be, is going to have a few bad apples. It's not the bad apples that are the real issue. In this case, the victim doesn't have confidence that the police are policing their own, and that plays into a broader narritive. Cops should get the benefit of the doubt, but they should also be held to a higher standard.

I won't hypothesize on whether or not the behavior is criminal, but is there any question whether this officer, as well as the supervisor, should ever have their badge returned?

Posts: 758 | Registered: March 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
quote:

From the linked article:
quote:
The new policy, which was implemented in mid-August, will require police to interact with the hospital supervisor. It also will prevent law enforcement officials from entering the emergency room, burn unit or other patient areas in the hospital.

Somebody didn't think this one through, it's going to make for a lot of problems in the ER. We routinely have an off duty officer in the ER. Then there's all the other instances of traumas, motor vehicle accidents, medical clearance for arrest, transport of petitioned psych patients, even when we have to call them to arrest a disorderly patient.

Yes, changes need to be made between how the hospital and the police interact in Salt Lake City, but this is swinging the pendulum way too far. This sounds like it came from an out of touch administrator who has no clue about the everyday happenings in the ER and thinks everything is unicorns, rainbows and jellybean fields.

Yup. We call Charlotte PD multiple times a shift some days to help with unruly patients. I'm sure I have seen Chongo befor and just not known it was him.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post