SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    One crew member dies, another hospitalized after Alec Baldwin shoots two people on set of his film
Page 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... 86
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One crew member dies, another hospitalized after Alec Baldwin shoots two people on set of his film Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
Quote from Para's link:
"Luke Nikas said in a statement. "Mr. Baldwin had no reason to believe there was a live bullet in the gun — or anywhere on the movie set."
Gun safety is not about "believing". Gun safety is about knowing and since he chose to point that pistol at another person, cock the hammer and pull the trigger, he had to know there were no live rounds in the cylinder.

That is the difference. You can't say "I believe this gun is unloaded, because someone else told me it is not loaded." They could be mistaken (which, in this case, they- the armoerer- were) or they could be lying. There's only one way to be certain, and Baldwin failed to do that.

I think as Baldwin's trial approaches, a plea deal may be offered and if offered, Baldwin should take it, but that means that he will have to stand in court and admit guilt to some degree. If he's foolish enough to let it go to trial when he had the chance to do otherwise, he knows the consequences might be dire.

Alec Baldwin knows he killed that woman. No one else did it, because even if he was handled a revolver with all six chambers loaded with live ammunition when he was told it was empty, he had no business pointing it at another person, cocking it and pulling the trigger.

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:

Sammy Davis Jr. was also a very highly regarded SAA

He had a good eye, too!

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:

Sammy Davis Jr. was also a very highly regarded SAA

He had a good eye, too!

That was bad! Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38647 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Hilaria Baldwin: "Up his ass, he may take the- the- how you say? Cucumber?"

Baldwin formally charged with involuntary manslaughter

Justin Trudeau: "Excuse me. We say peopleslaughter."

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
Baldwin may have connections, but as this is going to be a jury trial those connections mean nothing.

I strongly doubt it'll go to trial.

I believe there will be a plea bargain.

Pleas bargains are always a solid prediction in criminal cases, since the huge and overwhelming majority of cases do end in a deal.

This isn't a "normal" case, but it is still a reasonable prediction.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
He should've taken a deal already. He might have been able to get away with just probation. I think letting it go to trial will result in some amount of time behind bars at least.

Posts: 3375 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
Baldwin may have connections, but as this is going to be a jury trial those connections mean nothing.
I strongly doubt it'll go to trial.

I believe there will be a plea bargain.
The lawyer in this interview disagrees: What’s Next for Alec Baldwin’s Involuntary Manslaughter Case?
quote:

He did offer one certainty: This case will not be settled out of court.

“This case is going to trial,” he said, citing the level of Baldwin’s celebrity, coupled with the social media attention and sheer uniqueness of what happened on set.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
This from the Fox article made me chuckle-

“If you know exactly where the defendant is, and he’s not generally a threat to society, then the defendant can be free on their own recognizance.”

He’s not “generally” a threat…

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
“This case is going to trial,” he said, citing the level of Baldwin’s celebrity, coupled with the social media attention and sheer uniqueness of what happened on set.

Should read, “This case is going to trial,” he said, citing the level of Baldwin’s ego, ....

Posts: 20083 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
This from the Fox article made me chuckle-

“If you know exactly where the defendant is, and he’s not generally a threat to society, then the defendant can be free on their own recognizance.”

He’s not “generally” a threat…

Not a threat. As long as he doesn't have a gun, loaded or no, in his hands. Or you are a paparazzi. Or his daughter and not doing what HE wants....

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
That’s a lot of red flags.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
That’s a lot of red flags.

He has always been known as a nasty hot head.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16194 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
He should've taken a deal already. He might have been able to get away with just probation. I think letting it go to trial will result in some amount of time behind bars at least.

You can't take a plea until charged. His lawyers were trying to avoid being charged in the first place.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised that the prosecutor has been so vocal about all of this. It seems to me that she has already tried the case in the (forgive me) court of public opinion.

There have been accusations that she is trying to make a name for herself, as Marcia Clark did in the O.J. Simpson criminal trial. There appears to be some validity to those accusations. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
The number of instances of continual disregard for both safety training and safety practices by Baldwin, mentioned in the article, are staggering. It's difficult to comprehend how any supposed industry professional could be so complacent, apathetic or ignorant of safety practices on a movie set...unless you factor in arrogance.

Regarding the live rounds found on set, I found this particularly interesting.
Excerpt from the Fox News article Para posted.

quote:

However, investigators found that the live ammunition seized from the PDQ Arms and Prop business "did not match" the live ammunition found on the set of "Rust."

"These rounds were submitted to the FBI for comparison with the suspected live rounds found at the shooting scene," the documents said. "The ‘explosives chemistry’ examination of the rounds showed that the smokeless powder in the live rounds found at the scene did not match the live rounds seized from the props/arms supplier in question. This means the live rounds on ‘Rust’ did not match the rounds explosive chemistry taken from PDQ Arms and Prop."

Gutierrez-Reed's lawyer claimed the district attorney "completely misunderstood" the facts of the case in a statement to Fox News Digital:

"The filed probable cause statement reveals that the district attorney has completely misunderstood the facts and has reached the wrong conclusions. Hannah pleaded to provide more firearms training. She was denied and brushed aside. Hannah asked to be able to perform her armorer duties more for safety reasons. She was told by production to focus on props. Hannah asked Halls if they could use a plastic gun for the rehearsal scene, and he said no, wanting a ‘real gun.’

"Hannah asked to be called back into the church if Baldwin was going to use the gun at all, and Halls failed to do that. Yet the district attorney has given Halls a 6-month probation misdemeanor and charged Hannah and Baldwin with felony offenses carrying at least 5 years in prison.

"The tragedy of this is had Hannah just been called back into the church by Halls, she would have performed the inspection and prevented this tragedy," the statement continued. "We will fight these charges and expect that a jury will find Hannah not guilty."

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
First court appearance for His Royal Majesty is three weeks from tomorrow.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/ent...ust-killing/4081343/

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, Baldwin will be allowed to make his court appearance "virtually" which means he's not making a court appearance, at least not as far as I'm concerned.

What, he can't afford the plane ticket? He's too busy with all those projects that aren't happening for him right now?

He hasn't been charged with a traffic violation; the charge is very serious. IMO, he should have been told that he must appear in person.

posted Hide Post
Just a guess but the thinking on a virtual appearance would be it may cut down on the media circus that would be inevitable.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
How many of us would be allowed that ‘courtesy’?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Trying to stall?
Alec Baldwin’s lawyers are seeking to have state Rep. Andrea Reeb disqualified as a special prosecutor in the criminal case tied to the 2021 fatal shooting on the set of the movie Rust, claiming the role conflicts with her position as a legislator.

https://www.santafenewmexican....aa-e33934e76f8a.html

Posts: 1552 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post