SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    One crew member dies, another hospitalized after Alec Baldwin shoots two people on set of his film
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 88
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One crew member dies, another hospitalized after Alec Baldwin shoots two people on set of his film Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Anybody heard why a movie script would call for an actor to point a firearm at one of the video photographers and pull the trigger? Doesn’t seem like that action would be part of a typical scene.

Posts: 1182 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
Anybody heard why a movie script would call for an actor to point a firearm at one of the video photographers and pull the trigger? Doesn’t seem like that action would be part of a typical scene.

Yes. Pretty frequently western movies.

Whenever there's a standoff with people pointing at each other, there's almost certainly a camera shot looking down the barrel of the gun. This usually means that the gun is pointed directly at the camera, with the videographer sometimes behind it. Sometimes the trigger is pulled with a blank loaded so that the smoke and blast is captured.

It sounds like they were filming indoors. The camera might have been across the room, 10-15 ft, while attempting to capture this shot.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:

It would be a POV scene - showing the target's perspective. It can be dramatic showing the gun firing right at the camera.

Depending on how close the shot was cropped, the revolver would need to have something other than straight up blank rounds in 4 of the six slots, as 4 of the bullets are visible in the cylinder when viewed from the front. I would assume it would have 5 fake bullets (no powder or primer, but with a seated projectile) with a blank (no projectile) in the firing position.

This also assumes the blank be positioned so that when the gun is cocked, the blank rotates into the firing position. If they were using the rounds without primer/powder, it would be very hard for non 'gun people' to verify that a live round isn't in the gun.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21852 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
They may not have even been filming a scene at the time of the discharge. Baldwin may have been rehearsing with the gun off by himself or amongst others, or he was simply carrying it around carelessly.

I don't know about you, but damn near every movie with firearms in it I see the actors walking around with their fingers on the trigger almost all the time.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30420 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:

Yes. Happens all the time. Almost certainly in every western movie.

Whenever there's a standoff with people pointing at each other, there's almost certainly a camera shot looking down the barrel of the gun. This usually means that the gun is pointed directly at the camera, with the videographer sometimes behind it. Sometimes the trigger is pulled with a blank loaded so that the smoke and blast is captured.

It sounds like they were filming indoors. The camera might have been across the room, 10-15 ft, while attempting to capture this shot.

Adding to the above, when you see a stand-off or other action scene from the participants’ perspectives you don’t see the camera the participant is looking at when the perspective changes. That’s because it’s two different scenes spliced together. When those scenes are recorded the actor is looking at, talking to, and shooting at a camera, not another actor. When you see video looking down the barrel of a gun, that’s because someone aimed the gun straight into the lens of the camera.

That’s why I absolutely cannot understand why there would be live ammunition anywhere even close to a movie set. I don’t have live ammo on my bench when I’m cleaning guns and I’m just cleaning them, not intentionally pointing them at things or people I really don’t want to shoot. The fact that there was live ammunition on set, and that someone who didn’t know how to identify live ammo was allowed to load a gun, is criminally negligent.

Posts: 996 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Found this link on another forum:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...tragic-shooting.html

Posts: 1182 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:

Can’t embed from mobile, but here’s a great example:

https://youtu.be/eEneQFEFgMQ

Posts: 17191 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there a way forensically to confirm the bullet was loaded in the fired case to begin with?

Would not be too hard to hammer a slug half way down a barrel with a wooden rod if you really wanted to crate a sabotage. A COMPTENT armourer would always inspect the bore for obstructions before allowing the use of a firearm, but if she was nervous loading blanks........... Eek She would be real nervous sticking anything down the bore to check for obstructions.

Posts: 12720 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Bottom line for me, one person pointed a firearm at another person, put his finger on the trigger, and pulled it. That person is the one who is ultimately responsible for anything that happened thereafter. Determine who that person was, and you've cracked the case.

Posts: 6501 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XinTX:
Look, I think we can all agree that Baldwin is an arrogant gasbag who few would piss on if he were on fire. But I don't wish this grief on even someone like him.
I just don't understand this kind of thing.

Let's say that Alec Baldwin was given the power to make all the people whom he has never met, yet hates merely because of their political views, disappear with a snap of his fingers. All he would have to do is snap his fingers and everyone who opposes his politics would vanish.

Tell me- what do you think he would do? You know what he would do. Even more than making you disappear, he wishes you had never existed at all. You know it's true.

There is something I've mentioned a couple of times before in this forum, about the philosophy I've developed as I've aged. I will cause the death of no creature unless there is a purpose. No, I'm not a vegetarian. I'm an omnivore. Cattle, pigs, chickens, fish, et cetera- I eat them. Cattle, I wear their skin. These animals are bred for the purpose they serve. But, I will kill nothing, either intentionally without purpose, or carelessly. When I walk across my driveway, my eyes are focused on the ground in front of me so that I do not step on any insects. If I get in my truck to drive somewhere and I find a bug crawling across the hood, I will remove it and put it in the grass- where some other insect or some bird may eat it, but I won't be responsible, because there is no need. If I find an insect in my house, I capture it and place it outside. If I were to find a roach, however, I'd smash its little bug brains out without hesitation, because they carry disease and they do not belong in my house. The same goes for any mosquito or wasp that lands on me, or any poisonous creature which might make me sick or kill me.

If someone broke into my home or someone threatened my life or the life of my wife or any innocent person, or if a dog attacked me or mine, I would fill them so full of lead, they could be used for a boat anchor, and then I'd lay my head down on my pillow at night and sleep like a baby, because the world is full of dangerous animals which will eat you alive if you don't possess the capacity to defend yourself.

I don't say these things to make myself appear special, because this philosophy doesn't make me special. There are members of this forum who feel the same way as I. This is not an assumption on my part; they've come out and said it.

So, with all that in mind, I say to you I have no sympathy for Alec Baldwin, and I do wish pain and grief on him. These leftist fools hate you and me and anyone who gets in their way, and if you don't agree with their politics, you are in their way.

This is war. In times of war, decent men must harden their hearts in order to do what must be done. Can these leftists be reasoned with? No. Do they adhere to the law and the Constitution? They do not. They shit on our rights and are doing their best to deny us those rights, and Alec Baldwin is one of the worst, so yes, I'm happy that this trash is suffering and yes, I wish the absolute worst on him. You bet I do.

Machiavelli:

You cannot reason with people like Baldwin and they are above the law, so you must become the beast, and the beast has no mercy; the beast is not even aware of the concept of mercy. This is where we are today.

So, do me a favor, guys, and stop trying to show mercy to someone who wants you gone and more than that, who wants you to have never even existed. Of course no one here wants this poor woman to have been killed. Before Thursday, we didn't even know she existed. Anyone who spends any time at all in this forum knows that this place is populated with decent people.

Alec Baldwin, on the other hand, is a vile, hateful wretch and a poor excuse for a human being who hates everyone here, and any damage done to him is a good thing for us and a good thing for this nation. There is no way I'm going to pretend I have even one single speck of compassion or mercy for him. He's been asking for a karmic beatdown for decades, and now, he surely has it, and for that, I rejoice.

Posts: 107685 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by XinTX:
Look, I think we can all agree that Baldwin is an arrogant gasbag who few would piss on if he were on fire. But I don't wish this grief on even someone like him.
I just don't understand this kind of thing.

Let's say that Alec Baldwin was given the power to make all the people whom he has never met, yet hates merely because of their political views, disappear with a snap of his fingers. All he would have to do is snap his fingers and everyone who opposes his politics would vanish.

Tell me- what do you think he would do? You know what he would do. Even more than making you disappear, he wishes you had never existed at all. You know it's true.

There is something I've mentioned a couple of times before in this forum, about the philosophy I've developed as I've aged. I will cause the death of no creature unless there is a purpose. No, I'm not a vegetarian. I'm an omnivore. Cattle, pigs, chickens, fish, et cetera- I eat them. Cattle, I wear their skin. These animals are bred for the purpose they serve. But, I will kill nothing, either intentionally without purpose, or carelessly. When I walk across my driveway, my eyes are focused on the ground in front of me so that I do not step on any insects. If I get in my truck to drive somewhere and I find a bug crawling across the hood, I will remove it and put it in the grass- where some other insect or some bird may eat it, but I won't be responsible, because there is no need. If I find an insect in my house, I capture it and place it outside. If I were to find a roach, however, I'd smash its little bug brains out without hesitation, because they carry disease and they do not belong in my house. The same goes for any mosquito or wasp that lands on me, or any poisonous creature which might make me sick or kill me.

If someone broke into my home or someone threatened my life or the life of my wife or any innocent person, or if a dog attacked me or mine, I would fill them so full of lead, they could be used for a boat anchor, and then I'd lay my head down on my pillow at night and sleep like a baby, because the world is full of dangerous animals which will eat you alive if you don't possess the capacity to defend yourself.

I don't say these things to make myself appear special, because this philosophy doesn't make me special. There are members of this forum who feel the same way as I. This is not an assumption on my part; they've come out and said it.

So, with all that in mind, I say to you I have no sympathy for Alec Baldwin, and I do wish pain and grief on him. These leftist fools hate you and me and anyone who gets in their way, and if you don't agree with their politics, you are in their way.

This is war. In times of war, decent men must harden their hearts in order to do what must be done. Can these leftists be reasoned with? No. Do they adhere to the law and the Constitution? They do not. They shit on our rights and are doing their best to deny us those rights, and Alec Baldwin is one of the worst, so yes, I'm happy that this trash is suffering and yes, I wish the absolute worst on him. You bet I do.

Machiavelli:

You cannot reason with people like Baldwin and they are above the law, so you must become the beast, and the beast has no mercy; the beast is not even aware of the concept of mercy. This is where we are today.

So, do me a favor, guys, and stop trying to show mercy to someone who wants you gone and more than that, who wants you to have never even existed. Of course no one here wants this poor woman to have been killed. Before Thursday, we didn't even know she existed. Anyone who spends any time at all in this forum knows that this place is populated with decent people.

Alec Baldwin, on the other hand, is a vile, hateful wretch and a poor excuse for a human being who hates everyone here, and any damage done to him is a good thing for us and a good thing for this nation. There is no way I'm going to pretend I have even one single speck of compassion or mercy for him. He's been asking for a karmic beatdown for decades, and now, he surely has it, and for that, I rejoice.

This. We need to collectively stop feeling bad about our enemies. Fifteen or even ten years ago I’d still be in the “pardon thy foe” bandwagon, because that’s what my religion and my morals dictate.

However, the world has changed a lot. There are no ROE anymore. Ignoring this simple *fact* is suicide, and no moral system can impose on me something that will ultimately result in the perishing of everything and everyone I love.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I agree with what Parabellum posted to the word.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29722 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is what scares me the most. We are in bad territory ladies and gentlemen. Once again I implore you to read "Ordinary Men"

I have read the book and I am currently listening to it on my drives. It does not turn out well.

Myself and many on this forum may be outliers. We may be the canary in the coal mine.

I spent the best years of my life in defense of this country. I'm looking at spending the next years in defense of myself and my family. Not what
I signed up for

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
A few thoughts based upon everything I've read so far concerning this incident.

1 - Baldwin will likely skate on criminal charges. I do however believe he'll be wide open to huge civil suits given the circumstances.
2 - This armorer is going to burn for all of this. IMO there is no acceptable excuse how live ammo would ever be allowed onto a film set, let alone find its way into a movie gun on set. This woman appears woefully inexperienced/incompetent to hold the job as armorer, and at 24, I doubt she has the backbone to stand up to anyone on a film set pushing unsafe conditions.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An attorney in Chicago said that Baldwin “needs to start thinking like a potential defendant".

https://www.breitbart.com/ente...potential-defendant/

"Thinking" is not Baldwin's strong suit. "Mouthing off" is.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2071 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
As someone suggested in the comments on that article, get Donald Trump to play Alec Baldwin tonight on SNL. Shit, I could write that cold open myself.

He who laughs last, laughs best.

Another comment in there: "I do wish him ill, just as he wishes me ill."

You got it, baby. No quarter.

Posts: 107685 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Is there a way forensically to confirm the bullet was loaded in the fired case to begin with?

Would not be too hard to hammer a slug half way down a barrel with a wooden rod if you really wanted to crate a sabotage. A COMPTENT armourer would always inspect the bore for obstructions before allowing the use of a firearm, but if she was nervous loading blanks........... Eek She would be real nervous sticking anything down the bore to check for obstructions.

You and I think alike. Wink I was asking myself this same question and pondering that very same explanation.

I don't think this scenario is what actually happened, but investigators need to at least explore this possibilty.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Current articles read as if an assistant director bypassed the armorer, picked up a gun and handed to him, telling him it was unloaded, safe or somesuch that the smart-Alec should've checked himself.

There has to be video on set of all this that establishes the sequence. If the AD bypassed the armourer it may not be her fault, thoguh full account of each item on set and why is necessary

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5647 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

Posts: 19598 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I agree with what Parabellum posted to the word.

Ditto.

No aid or comfort for the enemy. No way.

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post