SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Big National Security leak. Many top secret documents exposed. Arrest made.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big National Security leak. Many top secret documents exposed. Arrest made. Login/Join 
posted
I have been reading about this for days. Many Ukraine documents leaked as well as spying conducted by the U.S. on allies. Demonstrations in Israel against Netanyahu linked to Mossad.

FBI arrests suspected Pentagon leaker: Air National Guard member, 21, is cuffed and led out of his mother's Massachusetts home for 'dumping top secret intelligence docs in Discord chatroom' in one of America's worst security breaches

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...-documents-leak.html

Posts: 12674 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Oof. That boy is Foxtrot Uniform Kilo Tango.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I have an idea of what should be done with the type of people like this that break that level of trust and potentially put others at risk.

Any way we can maybe transport his ass to Florida?

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who is giving high level clearances to people like this? Is the FBI responsible for the screening? In years past there was very thorough and comprehensive vetting.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Who is giving high level clearances to people like this? Is the FBI responsible for the screening? In years past there was very thorough and comprehensive vetting.

Serious question...Do you know how many people have this level of clearance?

It's really not THAT high...there are WAY higher compartmentalized areas. This is low level stuff to be honest.

The shear number of folks makes it hard. It's not like trusting the 4 dudes in your neighborhood.

With all that said, I'm making no excuses for this POS.

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

I would imagine it’s as extensive as when I was in (90-94). For my TS CNWDI they actually talked to people in the neighborhood I grew up in and went to High School with.

Posts: 4105 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Apart from the betrayal of trust issues, and the apparent lack of diligence in clearing this traitor, there is the bigger question of what the heck is the rationale for the ANG having access to these documents at all? Whether cleared or not, there is always a need to know component of a security policy. Why did this low-level staffer need to know this sensitive information to do his job? Will the upper level staff that allowed this be "investigated" as well?

Just spitballin' here...what are the odds that Teixeira's political leanings had no influence on his clearance? I ask this not knowing what his politics might be, but I guess I have become pretty jaded when it comes to matters of integrity in government.

Posts: 6468 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the OP's link:

In a video seen by The Post, the man is seen at a shooting range with a large rifle, wearing safety glasses and ear coverings. The man looks into the camera and yells racial and antisemitic insults, then fires multiple rounds at a target.

Gee, I wonder if the media will keep telling us about his guns...

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Without knowing more about his unit and his duties, I question how a 21-year old Enlisted individual had TOP SECRET access to this classified. Not everyone in the Intelligence Section was allowed access everything in the Intel Vault; or leastwise they couldn’t when I was in the ANG.

Where did the need-to-know concept go? Where was his supervisor in all of this? Didn’t anyone in his unit grow suspicious over his actions and his website accessing and the material being disseminated?

I suspect that there’ll be a major shakeup in leadership in that unit by the end of this weekend. This has been a MAJOR FUBAR !!!!

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
I question how a 21-year old Enlisted individual had TOP SECRET access to this classified.

There are thousands of people in the military that age with access to this type of information. It's kind of how the job gets done.

Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Bet they scraped the metadata off the posted photos.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Hell, I was younger than this guy(19) and had a TS clearance, as Otto said, it's not uncommon. This guy was an IT guy, it would be damn near impossible to do that kind of job without a reasonably high clearance. AND has been mentioned, there are tons of people with a TS clearance, "need to know" would pretty much be a moving target for an IT guy...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Life = Over

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The FBI was able to catch this fella real quick, but still yet nobody has been arrested for the Supreme Court leak!!! Interesting......perhaps the right people wanted the leak from the USSC, but not from the Pentagon. Just a thought.

Posts: 6616 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
From one of the articles that I read:

“The Times reported that Teixeira "oversaw a private online group named Thug Shaker Central, where about 20 to 30 people, mostly young men and teenagers, came together over a shared love of guns, racist online memes and video games."

The little fuck is 21 years old; he’s not even old enough to pretend to be outraged our disillusioned like Snowden.

I have to imagine all of the assorted Alphabet Soup dudes are tripping over themselves trying to get some alone time with this kid.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12326 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TS clearances are comprehensive when first issued but they don't usually get updated enough unless you're in one of the alphabet agencies. In this case, he could have been golden when first cleared. In my opinion, the large number of Top Secret clearances issued yearly probably wouldn't ferret out his underlying issue(s). I doubt he had yearly updates.

Allegedly, he's a IT support person for the intelligence dept that he worked for so he probably had access to a ton of stuff and he's allegedly uploaded hundreds of classified files over the last six months or so. I'm not confident he'll see many years in federal prison given the history of his kind of crime e.g, Daniel Ellsberg, Edward Snowden, Chelsea Manning or Reality Winner. These are the ones we know about.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2PAK:
TS clearances are comprehensive when first issued but they don't usually get updated enough unless you're in one of the alphabet agencies. In this case, he could have been golden when first cleared. In my opinion, the large number of Top Secret clearances issued yearly probably wouldn't ferret out his underlying issue(s). I doubt he had yearly updates.

Allegedly, he's a IT support person for the intelligence dept that he worked for so he probably had access to a ton of stuff and he's allegedly uploaded hundreds of classified files over the last six months or so. I'm not confident he'll see many years in federal prison given the history of his kind of crime e.g, Daniel Ellsberg, Edward Snowden, Chelsea Manning or Reality Winner. These are the ones we know about.

At 21, no matter what agency he was with he wouldn't have been due for a reevaluation.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
They're giving children top security clearance. What could go wrong with that? Roll Eyes

Posts: 107556 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
The FBI was able to catch this fella real quick, but still yet nobody has been arrested for the Supreme Court leak!!! Interesting......perhaps the right people wanted the leak from the USSC, but not from the Pentagon. Just a thought.

The Supreme Court leak was a one shot thing in an organization where everyone was a top level legal genius, that trusted people to be quiet and had zero way to monitor anything and with investigators having less than full authority to investigate with individuals having both the right and authority to tell the investigators to "f*^k off" when it comes into looking into their business.

With this, this guy was no rocket scientist, there were mulitple leaks of multiple things with lots of ways to track and monitor and with at least four (FBI, DIA, CIA, and NSA) agencies putting MAJOR resources into fixing this leak immediately. You're not even comparing apples to oranges, more like apples with asteroids.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1955 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post