SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Big National Security leak. Many top secret documents exposed. Arrest made.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big National Security leak. Many top secret documents exposed. Arrest made. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Do you think the Chinese and the Russians are doing this? Opening up the vault to glorified Boy Scouts?

The Chinese probably have a different way of dealing with these situation...

I'm not saying they're right or wrong in those methods, but they are effective. You don't hear too many leaks from the Chinese, Russians... At some point, those Traitors are probably praying for death. It sends a message to the next dip-shit.

quote:
"I was granted the same level of security clearance when I was six" don't mean a damn thing.

He is not an adult. At best, he's an adolescent and it is fucking ridiculous for our constantly-fucking-up government to be handing out this level of access to little boys who can't yet see two minutes down the road.

It does mean something. How many thousands of Service members right now have a TS clearance and aren't fucking it up? Some 19, 20, 21 yo kid that made it through BUDS or the Q Course and is now a SEAL / Green Beret, a crypto-radio operator on a Submarine, is a hell of a lot more mature and has a lot more composure about themselves then a lot of people more than twice the age.

Aldrich Ames
David Henry Barnett
Harold James Nicholson
Larry Wu-Tai Chin
Sharon M. Scranage
William Kampiles
Earl Edwin Pitts
Richard Miller
Robert Hanssen
Clayton John Lonetree
John Anthony Walker
Morris Cohen
George Trofimoff
Clyde Lee Conrad
Peter Debbins
Monica Witt

How old were they when they were doing their bullshit?

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8340 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:

The Supreme Court leak

Who exactly did the investigation into the Supreme Court leak? I don't think of that agency as having criminal investigators.

The Marshall for the Supreme Court. Link

No real investigative power/authority or experience.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
He's a child. He did this- not for any ideological reasons- but to impress his teenage friends. It does make a difference. Pointing to others who have committed espionage does not excuse this kid's actions nor the reason he did this. He did it for the most juvenile of reasons. He shouldn't have been granted this access because he lacks sufficient emotional maturity and his critical thinking skills are not fully developed.

You can name every spy and traitor going back to Benedict Arnold. Name one of them that did this because they wanted to look cool in front of gamers.

Posts: 107571 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At age 18, I had a TS clearance. It was required for me to be in close proximity to nukes. The difference was that while I had the TS clearance, I did not have actual access to classified documents or intel.
And I did not want access!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Of course Ukraine is losing the war. Anyone not blinded by his own propaganda knew this from the very beginning.

I've held off commenting on these leaks because of how quickly and seriously the Biden administration is taking this. That tells me almost all I need to know; it makes them look like the lying, corrupt sacks of shit they are.

The leaker here is screwed regardless, and he should be. Dumb shit.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:

Do you think the Chinese and the Russians are doing this? Opening up the vault to glorified Boy Scouts?

You don't hear too many leaks from the Chinese, Russians...
[QUOTE]

Because the Russians and Chinese 1) don't reveal to their public that such a thing EVER could have happened, and 2) the countries that turn these Chinese and Russians protect this information at a level above Top Secret and GREATLY compartmentalize it and mostly treat it like the treasure that is (and/or don't share it with the US in a form identifiable to a source).

There are multiple problems here: 1) too many secrets, 2) too little patriotism, 3) too little maturity, 4) too little oversight (or no way really to DO oversight given #1), and 5) too little accountability/responsibility. Lots to shake sticks at but this stuff is going to happen no matter what for all the usual reasons: 1) sex, 2) money, 3) ideology, 4) thrill seeking/lack of maturity(wisdom), and 5) motivation on the other side to exploit 1-4 by highly trained and motivated operatives.

That said, I'd like to see this guy in an industrial shredder on prime time with free t-shirts given away to all, especially in youth sizes so the point is made.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are multiple problems here: 1) too many secrets, 2) too little patriotism, 3) too little maturity, 4) too little oversight (or no way really to DO oversight given #1), and 5) too little accountability/responsibility. Lots to shake sticks at...

All of that is true...
But you overlook the BIGGEST problem of all: Too little TRUTH. Our government is lying to us.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24107 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
He's a child. He did this- not for any ideological reasons- but to impress his teenage friends. It does make a difference. Pointing to others who have committed espionage does not excuse this kid's actions nor the reason he did this. He did it for the most juvenile of reasons. He shouldn't have been granted this access because he lacks sufficient emotional maturity and his critical thinking skills are not fully developed.

In this case, YES, he is a child! A dumb fuck kid doing dumb fuck things that shouldn't have anymore responsibility than a broom.

The SBI (background check) should have caught this.
Hang that punk from a tree, put him against the wall and ask if he wants a cigarette... Just send the message to the next asshole.

But in the couple of thousand 19, 20, 21 yo Servicemen / Servicewomen out there right now with a Clearance, doing what they're suppose to do... THIS piece of juvenile shit makes them suspect as well because of their age? Sorry, but I can't agree with you on this.

quote:

You can name every spy and traitor going back to Benedict Arnold. Name one of them that did this because they wanted to look cool in front of gamers.

Lonetree did it for a piece of Russian ass.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8340 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not Boris Yeltsin, I hope.

Posts: 107571 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

All of that is true...
But you overlook the BIGGEST problem of all: Too little TRUTH. Our government is lying to us.

Absolutely fair point, but nothing new. Makes it harder to suss out the most serious problems though.

[QUOTE]:

Lonetree did it for a piece of Russian ass.[QUOTE]

Who was, of course, playing a game with him.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
^^^ It can generate mixed emotions of National Security vs Exposing Governmental lies.
Obviously, it is wise to err on the Security side but also what perpetuates Governmental control and a deterioration of freedoms.
Such control has embolden the Left to use it domestically as we all know.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
If the kid had only put them on a private server in his closet or stored them in his garage next to a Corvette none of this would be a headline.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Not Boris Yeltsin, I hope.

IIRC, she was as ugly as a mud fence. (Which makes it worse.)

LOSWSMITH-
Yeah, Lonetree was played by Russian Intelligence. KGB tossed a piece of ass in front of him, and he took the bait. Sold his Country and his soul for an ugly chick.

IIRC- from the classes on classified information years ago: Lonetree was a loner, a geek. KGB "honeypotted" him with a hooker/spy.
"Oh, big, strong Marine, my grandpa was in Russian Military, he wants to know how you do this... He wants to know about that..." Then she set up the meet with "Uncle Sasha" who was KGB.

I can't remember how he was caught. I do remember the Marine Corps Captain giving the class stated something along the lines of "He's spending the rest of his natural life in Leavenworth, turning big rocks into little rocks. When he's done with that, he's going to turn the little rocks back into big rocks and do it all over again."

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
The SBI (background check) should have caught this.

I keep hearing this, mostly here granted, but multiple posters in this thread have stated as such. I'm not refuting that claim (I can't and don't intend to either) but not all that much is known here, so serious question...What specifically 'should have' been uncovered during the Background Investigation that would've denied a TS Clearance for this kid, and/or revealed that he was not to be trusted to protect classified materials?

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8879 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
This "kid" was recently promoted to Airman 1st (E3), I'm guessing he's perhaps been in since he was 18/19, maybe 2+ years or so. So his background check was done in the last 2 years or so as well. He was posting all this stuff on Discord, a gaming message board. Probably didn't have much of a digital footprint when the background check was done, so I rather doubt any red flags were raised.

He's an immature punk who didn't take his job, or at least the national security part of it, seriously. He'll be paying for that now.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
WWIII might have been prevented with this leak.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
Could you please explain what you mean by that? I've heard that phrase a few times now in relation to this leak.

There is so much public and political support for this war that the more the American public knows, the better.

If it's true special forces are on the ground, it means we are involved in a hot war with the Russians which IMO is a big mistake.

This administration is not just lying but their policy making decisions are wildly inappropriate.

Their decisions have driven nations to create BRICS which is horrible for the USA.

China and Russia have formed an alliance at this point and that's a bad thing and will lead to more confrontation with us.

If after this leak the public drops some of it's support for Ukraine, perhaps some of our politicians will take a second look at their support for Biden's war in Ukraine.

I think a pivot is starting to occur. Janet Yellen this week signaled that peace in Ukraine would help stabilize the world economy. I don't think her words were accidental and were approved by the Biden Adimin.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
WWIII might have been prevented with this leak.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
Could you please explain what you mean by that? I've heard that phrase a few times now in relation to this leak.

Their decisions have driven nations to create BRICS which is horrible for the USA.

BRIC was coined in 2001. South Africa was added in 2010, making it BRICS.

See This. There are long seated issues with the creation of BRICS that have nothing to do with the current administration and everything to do with the history of this country's foreign/economic relations with these countries. The war in Ukraine had nothing to do with the creation of BRICS.

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I think Para is spot on about the maturity of the individual. He stole this information to bolster his social status in his little group of gamers.

In my mind, that makes this situation infinitely worse. It's one thing to pirate secrets that are intended for foreign intelligence assets, a different thing if you're releasing them to the media. In most of these cases these are trained and very savvy people.

But for the sole reason to take intel home and show your imaginary friends?!? Seriously.... how does THAT happen? Was it a matter of no one paying attention to him as he was so inconsequential? This is equivalent to the 19 year old janitor taking $4M in gold from Ft. Knox and no one noticing until he started posting pictures of the bars on Facebook.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is so much public and political support for this war that the more the American public knows, the better.

Thanks for the explanation, lbj.

Is there a reliable source that provides a summary of exactly what classified info was leaked and an analysis of what the true implications are for our own reading (other than this thread, of course)?

Posts: 2336 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Considering that I was the one who initially questioned the age and maturity level of this individual, I think I need to respond.

When I was in the military (ANG) over 40 years ago, I was the OIC of the Comm Center. And as the Comm Center had TS crypto material, I too had to have a TS clearance, as did all the Comm Center operators.

None of us would have thought ever of violating security protocols and discuss info outside of the physical confines of the Comm Center, nor release info that we we’re privileged to.

Later, I transferred over to and became the Base Chief of Security, and I routinely interacted with Base Intel over the security needs of the Wing (OPSEC and COMSEC).

When I retired 20+ years ago, I already saw the decline of operational and training requirements, all in the name of what is now called political correctness.

The youngsters today don’t seem to have the same commitment to love of country that we oldsters had when we were in the military. To them, it is a big video game, where the “dead” get “resurrected” with new “hit points”.

When it comes, it will be a terrible awakening for many.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post