SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Big National Security leak. Many top secret documents exposed. Arrest made.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big National Security leak. Many top secret documents exposed. Arrest made. Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Maybe this guy and his friends saw Iron Eagle a few too many times.

Perhaps it's just me but this seems to be something that process would have prevented. I guess in my mind I always thought, unless you were a President or Vice President, getting Top Secret or Classified material out of a secured area would be James Bond/Mission Impossible, Man from UNCLE level operations. Sounds like he pulled a Pepper Potts with a flash drive and a news paper.

It sounds like this guy did the modern version of carrying classified maps and files in a paper shopping bag back to the clubhouse to pour over with friends and an old Colonel. If two fully loaded F-16's appear on the tarmac at Hanscom, one with a Hades bomb, we have a real problem.

I wonder how many people in the chain above him found themselves boarding aircraft for new posts in Alaska with clothing and belongings to be forwarded.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38187 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
He was the "O.G." of his group- at 21. A font of wisdom, pouring out his life experience to teach the youngsters.

Yes, he was so wise and worldly, he couldn't figure out what would happen when he posted classified information on the internet.

Clearly, his brain is not yet fully formed, and that means he's not an adult, and yet the government granted him top security clearance.

And all the stories about "At 17 my grandfather was on an island in the Pacific beheading Japanese soldiers" or "I was granted the same level of security clearance when I was six" don't mean a damn thing.

He is not an adult. At best, he's an adolescent and it is fucking ridiculous for our constantly-fucking-up government to be handing out this level of access to little boys who can't yet see two minutes down the road.

Do you think the Chinese and the Russians are doing this? Opening up the vault to glorified Boy Scouts?

Posts: 108937 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
Without knowing more about his unit and his duties, I question how a 21-year old Enlisted individual had TOP SECRET access to this classified. Not everyone in the Intelligence Section was allowed access everything in the Intel Vault; or leastwise they couldn’t when I was in the ANG.

Where did the need-to-know concept go? Where was his supervisor in all of this? Didn’t anyone in his unit grow suspicious over his actions and his website accessing and the material being disseminated?

I suspect that there’ll be a major shakeup in leadership in that unit by the end of this weekend. This has been a MAJOR FUBAR !!!!

I was cleared for TS/SCI (Special Compartmented Information) at 19 and held that clearance (and various subsets of it) for 22 years.

When I was read into the program I received a VERY clear explanation of my responsibilities and the consequences of failing to meet them.

Failures in the Chain of Command no doubt play a large part, but the final analysis is that the INDIVIDUAL broke the rules.

I hope they hang that sonofabitch. Life in prison would be a good start.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15473 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, at the age of six, my grandfather was on an island in the Pacific beheading Japanese soldiers...

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Well, at the age of six, my grandfather was on an island in the Pacific beheading Japanese soldiers...

?

Posts: 15473 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Phpaul. Read Para’s post above yours.
And I wish these traitorous SOB’s would be dealt with properly. In other words, EXECUTED!

Posts: 1287 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BOATTRASH1:
Phpaul. Read Para’s post above yours.
And I wish these traitorous SOB’s would be dealt with properly. In other words, EXECUTED!

I was stating my qualifications to comment on the topic. I don't think it was meaningless.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
He was big for his age, ate a carton of unfiltered Camels for breakfast every morning...

Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I'm not sticking up for this kid. He should be tried for treason. No question.

My problem is with all our super secret squirrel spy agencies that are supposedly monitoring this stuff. According to the article on Fox, some of these documents have been on the internet since October. And nobody noticed! They're too busy monitoring the activities of terrorists like MAGA supporters, Catholics, pro lifers, etc.

And none of our "experts" had any idea how these Top Secret documents got out, how many are out there, or who might have stolen them.....until a bunch of weenies at the New York Times told them.

And what's in those documents? Well, they've been on the internet, so they're no longer secret, but you can bet that the gov is going to lock them down tight, so the American public doesn't have proof that they've been lying to us all along, about Ukraine, Russia, China, Isreal, etc. For security reasons, of course. What a damn clown show!

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
He was big for his age, ate a carton of unfiltered Camels for breakfast every morning...

Did he get his shins blow'd off by a Jap machine gun? Big Grin Sorry, couldn't resist.

I think a few (maybe just a couple) decades ago young people took life a lot more seriously. Though for a long time now I've wondered if the world would be better if no one could do anything significant until at least twenty-five.

It isn't possible of course.

Our military is so vast, can it be well run with only those relatively few that remain in service longer than four years having TS clearance? Has it ever been that way? I'm genuinely interested to know.

Posts: 7506 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Doing POS actions and making POS decisions never has an age limitation.

Not having a force of "young" people doing this work would leave some consequences I'm fully sure ya'll would NOT enjoy.

His ignorance and lack of maturity is not indicative of the vast majority of people, in that age group, that hold a TS or similar clearance.

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6612 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This guy is a traitor. You can also call him an adolescent child who had no business with this kind of access. But bottom line, a traitor. I don't see any other way to look at it. Just a slight thread drift. Last night was the very last time I will watch Tucker Carlson, ever. Tucker opened the show casting this guy in heroic terms as some kind of whistle blower. I only got about 10 minutes into his show before I said enough and changed the channel. Never again.

Posts: 1070 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Yes, he is an idiot who will be going to military prison for a long long time. He was full time Air Guard so the the big decision is does he go Fed Court or Court Martial or both.

Maybe the the 3 Letter Agencies were all busy spying on parents at school board meetings, planting agents in potential Trump Indictment protest groups, showing up at a reporter's house while he is testifying in front of Congress, or other such crap. The fact that that IT junior repair kid (one step up from the kid who puts the paper in the copy machine) had access to all this classified information is unbelievable. Doesn't anyone in the Defense Department believe in encryption?

This idiot's only chance on getting out before he is an old man is to claim to be trans, the Dims will grant "her" clemency. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4050 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
WWIII might have been prevented with this leak.

Russia is winning the war in Ukraine (always has) and our leaders are lying to us about the situation. And why do we have special forces on the ground there?

Where is the press in all this?
Covering up for this admin as usual.
Journalism is dead.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31440 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Yesterday evening, the Wall Street Journal ran an utterly fabulous monstrosity of a story headlined, “Air Guardsman Arrested in Connection With Leaked Documents.”

In a story so moronic that it is painful to have to write about it (they’re practically daring me to use the ‘r’ word, and I’ll do it, just try me), the 100% government-controlled, perfectly useless, heinously criminal corporate media was made out to be the hero of the evolving narrative. As I type this, I can feel the IQ points storming out of my cranium in a huff, bags hastily packed, irate at just being asked to consider this ridiculous fairy tale sufficiently credible to even make fun of it. It’s the kind of story I would usually blithely ignore, except that a hastily-assembled taradiddle like this one evidences a historic, narrative-wrecking goof up of Bidenic proportions.

As Tennyson used to say about the poor doomed soldiers of the Light Brigade, not though the soldier knew, someone, somewhere, had blundered.

And how.

According to the breathless media reports, in the speediest investigation in history, by crack investigative journalists sprinting past law enforcement, diligent New York Times sleuths supposedly nabbed the Minecraft Papers leaker — who allegedly had physical access to top-secret, print-only documents from five different intelligence agencies — who was promptly taken down in a massive FBI raid.

The devilish traitor — definitely NOT a whistleblower exposing official White House lies, no, never, this is NOT like the Pentagon Papers at all, how dare you, do you love Putin or something? — is supposed to be a 21-year-old part-time member of the Air National Guard and video game aficionado.

Give me a break. The story is utterly preposterous and the Journal knows it. Although it couldn’t risk biting the withered, decaying hand that feeds it tasty intelligence snacks, the Journal still couldn’t quite help expressing some thinly-veiled skepticism:

It wasn’t immediately clear why somebody with his job title—cyber transport systems journeyman—would have access to the types of files that have surfaced.

You don’t say! I can’t wait to hear the convoluted cock and bull they come up with to explain how videogamer Jack Texiera, 21, outwitted the top intelligence agencies in the country. This should be good.

The Journal reported with a straight face that Joe Biden and President Zelenskyy both said the leaks were completely harmless and didn’t give away anything worth noting. The leaked files “have no operational significance,” Mykhailo Podolyak, a Ukrainian presidential adviser, said in an interview. “They have no impact on the front line or the planning of the General Staff.” The Former Vice President, when asked for an update on the leak investigation Thursday during a trip to Dublin, said he was concerned that the leak happened, but “there’s nothing contemporaneous that I’m aware of that’s of great consequence.”

Well then, what’s all the hoopla about?

Meanwhile, the alphabet networks (CNN, MSNBC, etc) piled on Mr. Texiera, breathlessly reporting the young Massachusetts man is a racist, sexist, homophobe with a gun fetish and probably a Trump supporter. In other words, he’s a terrifically bad person. Virtue signal fail. So obviously Mr. Texiera can’t be a whistleblower or anything good like that.

Coincidentally, this was also, of course, the official, government-approved narrative:

Even more insanely, the New York Times took credit for finding Texiera. It ran a story yesterday headlined, “Inside the Hunt for the Discord Leaker, and Twitter Chaos Updates.” The sub-headlined bragged, “How Times journalists tracked down the alleged leaker of military intelligence.”

The Times apparently even helped with the arrest, “gathering” around arresting FBI agents:

As reporters from The New York Times gathered near the house on Thursday afternoon, about a half-dozen F.B.I. agents pushed into the home of Airman Teixeira’s mother in North Dighton, with a twin-engine government surveillance plane keeping watch overhead.

Haha, the Times even got there BEFORE the FBI:

When Times reporters approached the house again, the truck was parked in the driveway. Airman Teixeira’s mother and his stepfather were standing in the driveway. When asked if Airman Teixeira was there and willing to speak, his stepfather, Thomas P. Dufault, said: “He needs to get an attorney if things are flowing the way they are going right now. The feds will be around soon, I’m sure.”

Mr. Dufault knows which way the wind is blowing these days. The Times, like the alphabet networks and the Pentagon, stressed that Texiera is DEFINITELY NOT A WHISTLEBLOWER:

[A]ccording to people who knew him online, Airman Teixeira was no whistle-blower. Unlike previous huge leaks of information, from the Pentagon Papers to WikiLeaks to Edward Snowden’s disclosures, outrage about wrongdoing or government policies does not appear to have been a factor.

I hardly know where to start with this ridiculous buffoonery. We are meant to believe that a junior Air National Guardsman somehow collected top-secret documents from multiple highest-level intelligence sources and then plunked them onto his Minecraft video game server for no reason whatsoever. And then somehow the New York Times, which still can’t even find Antifa or ActBlue, somehow traced the leak all the way back to Texiera before the FBI, CIA, DoD, NSA, and everyone else who was looking for him.

Still — all of of this crack reporting blindly ignores the plain fact that Texiera — if he really was the leaker, and regardless of how virtuous he is or isn’t — is actually a hero who apparently single-handedly uncovered the U.S. government’s illegal secret proxy war and top officials’ countless lies to Congress and the American people.

Can someone remind me how you spell “patsy?”

https://www.coffeeandcovid.com...ack&utm_medium=email

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24554 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:

Could you please explain what you mean by that? I've heard that phrase a few times now in relation to this leak.

Posts: 2342 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Russia is winning the war in Ukraine (always has) and our leaders are lying to us about the situation. And why do we have special forces on the ground there?

Where is the press in all this?
Covering up for this admin as usual.
Journalism is dead.

There sure are quite a few people pushing this as a result of the release.... That some of the documents do in fact counter what the White House has been saying about Ukraine...

Posts: 24165 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, covering up for the Biden administration. It's beyond shameful. They don't even attempt to hide it. From the Washington Post:
quote:
The Post also reviewed approximately 300 photos of classified documents, most of which have not been made public.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...agon-documents-leak/

A young member of the Massachusetts Air National Guard was arrested by the FBI on Thursday afternoon in the investigation into leaks of classified military intelligence that started with a small online group and eventually led to hundreds of government secrets spilling out to the wider world.

The arrest came hours after people familiar with the case, who like others interviewed spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a developing investigation, identified the individual, 21-year-old Jack Teixeira, as the primary focus of the investigation. The Washington Post reported Wednesday that the individual who leaked the information shared documents with a small circle of online friends on the Discord chat platform, which is popular with gamers. In that group, a user said, Teixeira’s handles included jackthedripper.

Heavily armed FBI agents led Teixeira out of a family residence in Dighton, Mass., on Thursday afternoon. Wearing red gym shorts and a T-shirt, the young man was led into a waiting car. He could make an initial court appearance Friday in a case that has transfixed much of official Washington for the past week.

A friend of Teixeira described his motives to The Post as wanting to share — and show off — the secrets he knew to a small circle of online friends who bonded over video games. If convicted, Teixeira could end up serving years in prison.

In brief remarks to reporters at Justice Department headquarters, Attorney General Merrick Garland said Teixeira was arrested “without incident” in the “alleged unauthorized removal, retention and transmission of classified national defense information.” Garland did not take questions.

Teixeira served in a junior position, but he had access to an internal Defense Department computer network for top-secret information, called the Joint Worldwide Intelligence Communications System, according to a U.S. official familiar with the matter. That access would have allowed him the ability to read and potentially to print documents classified at the same level as many of the leaked files.

Teixeira told members of the Discord group Thug Shaker Central that he worked as a technology support staffer for the Massachusetts Air National Guard and at a base on Cape Cod, and this was how he was able to access classified documents, one member of the Discord server told The Post. Members of the group had come together initially because of their shared interest in guns and military gear, the member told The Post.

A Facebook post from the 102nd Intelligence Wing, with headquarters at Otis Air National Guard Base on Cape Cod, congratulated an individual by the same name for his promotion to airman first class in July.

The fast-moving investigation kicked off in early April when Pentagon officials first became aware that documents about an extraordinary range of subjects exposed how the United States spies on friends and foes alike. The leak of dozens of pages also upset senior Ukrainian officials, who had sought to keep details of their military’s vulnerabilities hidden as Russia’s war with Ukraine grinds on in its second year. The Post also reviewed approximately 300 photos of classified documents, most of which have not been made public.

Investigators are likely to probe how Teixeira, from his position as a technology support staffer at a base in Massachusetts, would have had access to highly classified information, some of which was used to brief senior leaders at the Pentagon. National Guard units perform some support services for active-duty units, including intelligence support for senior military officials, one U.S. official said. In that case, Teixeira could have had access to the kinds of highly classified documents that he is alleged to have shared with his fellow members on the Discord server, the official said.

In a written statement, the FBI said it was conducting “authorized law enforcement activity at the residence” where it arrested Teixeira. “Since late last week the FBI has aggressively pursued investigative leads, and today’s arrest exemplifies our continued commitment to identifying, pursuing, and holding accountable those who betray our country’s trust and put our national security at risk,” the FBI said.

Calls to Teixeira’s family were not immediately returned. Teixeira’s name was first reported by the New York Times.

President Biden, speaking in Ireland on Thursday, downplayed the significance of the compromised material. “I’m concerned that it happened, but there’s nothing contemporaneous that I’m aware of that is of great consequence,” Biden said.

Though not as massive as some previous leaks of highly classified material, the disclosure was nonetheless extraordinary because of the files’ recency: Some documents were just days old when posted earlier this year on Discord. The files gained wide notice when they began appearing on the social media platforms Telegram and Twitter last week. That meant the public — including Russia’s war planners — had access to sensitive intelligence assessments on Ukraine’s battlefield readiness prepared in late February and early March for top Pentagon officials such as Gen. Mark A. Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

The leaks have produced remarkable insights into U.S. intelligence activities worldwide, but their revelations about the war in Ukraine have proved particularly illuminating. Some of the material describes weaknesses in Ukraine’s air defenses and outlines its lack of ammunition while exposing considerable deficiencies within the Russian military, too. Many of the assessments date to February and March.

Brig. Gen. Patrick S. Ryder, a Pentagon spokesman, declined to comment on Teixeira’s emergence as the principal suspect in the leak investigation, referring questions to the Justice Department.

Speaking to reporters at the Pentagon, he said the Defense Department was “working around-the-clock” to assess the impact of the leaks and was taking steps to tighten access to classified information, including by updating distribution lists and reviewing which personnel required what kind of sensitive material.

He stressed that “stringent” rules were already in place, suggesting that no matter how tight the rules were on paper, they could be flouted by an individual determined to divulge intelligence.

“This was a deliberate criminal act, a violation of those guidelines,” he said. “To put it frankly, we’re continuing to conduct our operations and provide people with the information they need without missing a beat.”

Asked why a junior member of the National Guard would have access to briefings prepared for the military’s highest levels, Ryder declined to address Teixeira specifically but said that the military had always entrusted significant responsibility to young people who receive training and guidance.

“Think about a young combat platoon sergeant, and the responsibility and trust that we put into those individuals to lead troops into combat,” he said. “It’s called military discipline. In certain cases, especially when it comes to sensitive information, it also is about the law.”

The Discord leaks are damaging for what they reveal about the methods the United States uses to gather foreign intelligence, not just on Russia’s military and spy agencies but also on partners like Ukraine and Israel, as well as key allies in Asia, such as South Korea. The documents indicate where information and insights were gleaned by “signals intelligence” or “sigint,” essentially wiretapping or eavesdropping on calls or hacking into emails.

In one instance, the files reveal the use of an advanced satellite system that allows for high-resolution imaging of objects on the ground, one of the more closely guarded U.S. intelligence capabilities, and which could now be more susceptible to Russian jamming. In some cases, markings indicate that information was obtained at least in part by human means — perhaps spies.

A day after the Pentagon acknowledged it was probing the leaks, the Justice Department announced it had opened an investigation. Over the weekend, the Pentagon announced an “interagency effort” had been started to assess the impact of the leaks on national security. Officials across the U.S. government worked to determine the scope and significance of the disclosures, and contain diplomatic fallout. State Department officials said they were engaging with allies and partners to reassure them of the U.S. commitment to safeguarding intelligence.

Much of the information is tactical, a snapshot in time, and so its value “ages off” or diminishes over time, former intelligence officials noted, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss a sensitive matter. But that doesn’t mean there is no damage to sources and methods, especially in the near term, they said. And in the meantime, Russia can take advantage of what it learns to adjust its own war plans, they said.

posted Hide Post
There are no US Special Forces in the field exchanging gun fire with Russians.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politic...es/story?id=98543007

This may or may not be a good idea depending on you point of view, but there are special forces operating out of the embassy advising the Ukrainians.

Posts: 1070 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
It’s not just me. Last night, Tucker Carlson also got it, he found the real story in all the noise. Tucker broadcast his monologue about the actual significance of this story: the constant lying and the illegal, unauthorized proxy war.

Fox’s most popular commenter correctly identified that the U.S. isn’t just helping out an underdog democratic government fight off an evil invader. This is actually World War III:

“The slides show that this is not Ukraine’s war. It’s our war. The United States is a direct combatant in a war against Russia. As we speak, American soldiers are fighting Russian soldiers. So this is not a regional conflict in Eastern Europe. This is a hot war between the two primary nuclear superpowers on Earth.”

Tucker also noted that the government’s internal records say the reverse opposite of the lies the U.S. government and its credulous cronies in the corporate media have been peddling for 14 months:

“The second thing we learned from these slides is that despite direct U.S. involvement, Ukraine is in fact losing the war. Seven Ukrainians are being killed for every Russian. Ukrainian air defenses have been utterly degraded. Ukraine is losing.”

Don’t listen to Tucker, he’s a Putin-lover!

Tucker also accurately concluded that, absent Congressional approval, the proxy war is radioactive-level illegal: “But Lloyd Austin has not been arrested for committing that crime,” Tucker said. “Instead, the only man who has been taken into custody or likely ever will be, is a 21 year old Massachusetts air national guardsmen.”

Here’s Tucker’s 10-minute monologue:

The Columbia Bugle
@ColumbiaBugle
#Thread Tucker Carlson's Monologue On The Leaked U.S. Military Intelligence Exposing The Lies About The War In Ukraine

"The slides show that this is not Ukraine's war. It's our war. The United States is a direct combatant in a war against Russia. As we speak, American soldiers are fighting Russian soldiers. So this is not a regional conflict in Eastern Europe. This is a hot war between the two primary nuclear superpowers on Earth."

https://www.coffeeandcovid.com...ack&utm_medium=email

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24554 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post