Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maui on fire Login/Join 
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
If history turned out differently, I wonder how the native Hawaiians would be feeling if they were having to speak Japanese or Chinese as the official new language?

Posts: 5916 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's apparent they resent being colonized, no matter by whom.

Posts: 109165 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I can't think of any indigenous people who didn't resent being colonized. I resent being colonized from our southern border. But that is the nature of human migration across the planet and throughout history. Eventually stronger, more capable populations eclipse vulnerable populations. Invariably, the victor is better armed if not more numerous. Those colonizing this nation are doing so successfully because we have let PC disarm us so we are vulnerable. Left unchecked, our traditional population will be marginalized and then swept away if past is prologue. Without the political will to stop it there's little an individual indigenous person can do. Resentful Hawaiians find themselves in the same circumstance. Like an abused wife, they resent their spouse but need him too. Tough spot for sure.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tuckerrnr1:
If history turned out differently, I wonder how the native Hawaiians would be feeling if they were having to speak Japanese or Chinese as the official new language?

Well with all the property in Hawaii being bought up by the Japanese over the years, it's amazing they aren't speaking Japanese....

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
If you look at the Hawaii flag, where the Stars and Stripes has stars HI has the Union Jack.
That’s a little curious.
It seems the Hawaiian “royalty” liked to think of themselves as equal to the British monarchy; and King Kalakaua IIRC was hoping the British would colonise them rather than the boorish Americans.
As it turned out, it was the Hawaiian- born American businessmen like Dole who pushed for annexation by the U.S. The monarchy was overthrown in 1894 and a “Committee for Public Safety” prepared for annexation. Grover Cleveland refused to recognise the Hawaii Republic. But under McKinley, annexation passed the US Congress. This was during the Spanish-American War, when it became clear that Hawaii with Pearl Harbor would be strategically important for the US, which was suddenly a power in the Pacific.

Posts: 18383 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
If you look at the Hawaii flag, where the Stars and Stripes has stars HI has the Union Jack.
That’s a little curious.
It seems the Hawaiian “royalty” liked to think of themselves as equal to the British monarchy; and King Kalakaua IIRC was hoping the British would colonise them rather than the boorish Americans.

My understanding is the flag was a compromise/balance between the Hawaiian nation's two largest trading partners during the US/British conflicts of the 19th century.
Its history is complicated, where some are very desirous to re-gain independence and return to monarchical rule and structure. What they fail to comprehend (or, they're perfectly fine with) in the course of Hawaiian history, when controlled by a royal and aristocracy class, life wasn't all that it's cracked-up to be during those times.

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Where was Hawaiian born BHO in the last two weeks? Not in Hawaii. He could have gone but I'm pretty sure the WH told him not to go before Joe since it would make Joe look bad.

Posts: 4254 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by Tuckerrnr1:

Well with all the property in Hawaii being bought up by the Japanese over the years, it's amazing they aren't speaking Japanese....

Hawaiians were speaking Japanese. Before the Japanese market collapsed maybe 20 years ago, Japanese entities were buying US land, notable was Pebble Beach Golf course. It was pretty much required if your work was customer facing, you had to speak Japanese because they were coming to Hawaii. When their market crashed, they started selling back the lands they bought.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20079 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'll use the Red Key
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Hawaiians Respond to Biden’s ‘Despicable’ Maui Wildfire Comparison

KIHEI, Hawaii—President Joe Biden on Monday compared the horrific fires in western Maui to a kitchen fire in his house during which he “almost lost” his “‘67 Corvette.” Locals condemned the comparison, saying it belittled the disaster that likely claimed over a thousand lives and caused billions of dollars worth of damage to local business owners, families, and Lahaina natives.

In an address to a crowd outside Lahaina, the town destroyed by the destructive wildfires, Biden said:

Jill and I know what it’s like to lose a home. Years ago now, 15 years ago, I was in Washington doing “Meet the Press.” It was a sunny Sunday.

Lightning struck at home, on a little lake that’s outside of our home—like a big pond, and hit a wire that came up underneath our home into the heating ducts and air conditioning ducts.

To make a long story short, I almost lost my wife, my ‘67 Corvette, and my cat.

“This is the most despicable thing this president has ever said,” a restaurant owner in Kihei, Maui, told The Daily Signal via a text message Monday. “How do you compare almost losing your fucking Corvette to the children burned in their fucking homes, man?”

At a small sandwich shop north of Kihei, a former teacher, Kristen Goodwin, described how she felt after such a comment:

There are no words in response to something like that. There’s a thousand people still missing on this island, business owners who want people to come back, and who is going to come to a secluded island with people still missing?

The community members have rallied together and have taken care of each other. It was several days before [the feds] came and helped. They shut down a road for no good reason except they didn’t want people trampling over [rescue and search] sites.

Nobody understands that unless they’re here.

Of Biden, she said, “I’m not voting for him again—that’s for sure. I’ll vote for Trump. I will never vote for him again.”

Goodwin also lambasted the president’s initial response to the wildfires:

The lack of connection, the lack of real emotion. Is Biden even there? The “no comment,” situation—how dare he? He could have said “Thoughts and prayers,” at least.

Especially when it’s a historical fire, the largest fire in recent American history and you said “no comment” then went back to bicycling for hours.

[His trip to Maui] just seemed like a photo op to me.

Biden’s visit to Maui involved landing at 11 a.m., Hawaiian Standard Time, traveling to a public speaking event outside of Lahaina, walking over charred property that locals are still restricted from accessing, and flying out not six hours later.

Leslie Santos, a retired university administrator and a native of Maui, asked The Daily Signal how a leader could be “so insensitive and lack the level of compassion of a basic human being?”

I’m not sure how anyone could compare the “almost loss” of a Corvette, a replaceable object, to the loss of life, loss of all one’s possessions, and the loss of livelihoods. I am offended.

There is no comparison to loss of life—especially the neighborhoods of innocent, non-replaceable children who perished.

How can a leader be so insensitive and lack the level of compassion of a basic human being? What happened to “extending kindness and care”?

I am so disappointed in Biden—and I am a Democrat.

This isn’t the first time Biden has outraged victims and survivors by claiming he understood their pain by inappropriately inserting unrelated stories from his life.

Biden told Gold Star families whose 13 sons and husbands were killed in the botched U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan that he understood what it was like to lose a son in combat—comparing his son Beau’s death from cancer to the violent deaths of U.S. servicemen.

One of the Gold Star mothers told the New York Post that she was outraged—since “dying from cancer with his family months later” was nothing like not being able to be with her son at his death.

The White House has not yet issued a statement correcting, apologizing for, or providing additional context for the president’s comments.

https://www.dailysignal.com/20...-wildfire-comparison

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3819 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13120 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The man has every right to be outraged, and I share his anger, and he's right- this country has no true leaders in office right now.

"You almost lost your cat? GO FUCK YOURSELF!!"

Tell 'em, brother.

https://twitter.com/ScottAdams.../1693973921362780475

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
Hawaii...is full of racist Hawaiians who absolutely hate white people
Unless they spend their tourist $$ there.

I do not deny the racism of white people in Hawaii. I am only picking this post to respond to for my response in general so this is NOT directed to either poster.

I have been to Maui only once for a week, during the peak of COVID, and had an amazing time except not being able to go to some places without a vaccination card, which had nothing to do with the people. The only time I saw locals very angry at tourists was when I felt it was deserved. Stupid people literally stopping their car in the middle of the road to take a picture of a waterfall on the way to Hana or other places. The road is bad enough, but when you stop your car and get out to take a picture, you cause a traffic hazard. I can only imagine the frustration of locals going to work everyday having to deal with idiots doing this. I purposely parked my car in a safe spot and walked a long ass ways to go get that picture respectfully.

Obviously many Hawaiians are not happy with the US taking control of the islands and doing construction of the observatory on Haleakala and front street in Lahaina among others.

If there is anything I have learned in the work I do in the prison system, you get respect when you give respect.

I feel so bad for what has happened to so many people there.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8756 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Here is a long (1 hour) interview by a local West Maui realtor with a husband and wife who lost their home and all their material possessions. The husband is articulate; grew up the son of a high-voltage lineman, so he was worried when the power outage ENDED early on. Their description of the tyrannical clamp-down on local residents (NG troops on every block keeping homeowners from their property) and the complete lack of visible help from government at all levels is appalling. As I have cited above, pretty much any help that came in the immediate aftermath--and even now 2 weeks later--has been organized by locals without government help.

Posts: 18383 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The man has every right to be outraged, and I share his anger, and he's right- this country has no true leaders in office right now.

"You almost lost your cat? GO FUCK YOURSELF!!"

Tell 'em, brother.

https://twitter.com/ScottAdams.../1693973921362780475

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe id="twitter-widget-1" scrolling="no" src="https://platform.twitter.com/embed/Tweet.html?dnt=true&embedId=twitter-widget-0&frame=false&hideCard=false&hideThread=false&lang=en&theme=&id=1693973921362780475" style="position: static; visibility: visible; width: 550px; height: 770px; display: block; border: medium; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-image: url('https://codejanitor.azurewebsites.net/embeds/bgmessage.png'); background-position: center 20px; background-size: 300px; overflow: hidden;" title="Twitter Tweet"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

I saw something about Sleepy Joe making a comment about how the ground was hot he was standing on in Lahaina. Yeah no shit, a ton of people just got incinerated by a massive fire right where you are standing and making the comment just coming off a vacation. That is exactly what the relatives of the dead and missing don’t need to hear.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8756 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Can you hear them cheering Brandon in the background? Let's go Brandon, let's go Brandon, Let's go Brandon!!!!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Speaking from experience with Federal AID/FEMA or what ever name you want to give it is a big f--king joke... They will make you jump through all kinds of loops to try and get assistance only to find out that what you were promised is only a small drip in the pan for what you will actually receive.... And the time frame will be years in the making..... Local federal disaster here in 2016 and some people are still trying to get things closed out ............................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2089 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Maybe Hawaii will turn red over this?

I LOATHE that oxygen-wasting sunuvabitch and that witch that has the audacity to call herself “doctor”. Mad Mad

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't get my hopes up.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
The only time I saw locals very angry at tourists was when I felt it was deserved. Stupid people literally stopping their car in the middle of the road to take a picture of a waterfall on the way to Hana or other places. The road is bad enough, but when you stop your car and get out to take a picture, you cause a traffic hazard. I can only imagine the frustration of locals going to work everyday having to deal with idiots doing this. I purposely parked my car in a safe spot and walked a long ass ways to go get that picture respectfully.

Living in a tourist area is tough, I grew up in San Francisco, not too far away from Fisherman's Wharf and North Beach, after awhile, it grinds on you seeing the self-centered, unawares behavior from people that are from out of the area. From taking obnoxious pictures, attempting to make a U-turn in the middle of the block, reckless driving up/down hills, walking in amoeba-like groups taking up the entire sidewalk, you get pissed. Hawaii being a tropical locale, I can only imagine the imbecilic behavior that is seen from large groups of teenagers on school break, foolish college agers, foot-in-mouth commentary from older tourists, its a grind having to deal with it all on the daily. The national parks see this all the time, Yellowstone has several social media channels dedicated to idiotic behavior of tourists, I'm sure historic sites back East see the same.

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post