New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maui on fire Login/Join 
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Not that it has any real bearing on this catastrophe, but global warming would, if it even exists, cause ice caps melting, and more water vapor in the atmosphere, resulting in more rain. You get massive droughts during global cooling, like in the last ice age, when more water is bound up in ice caps.

I would posit that this is mostly human mismanagement, amplified by the winds from a nearby weather system.

Posts: 1522 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
What is it with these people?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109165 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
If a cop car is blocking me from escaping an inferno, I'm going right through him.

Posts: 20608 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For an order to have standing, it first must be lawful. An order to prevent people from escaping a deadly fire is not lawful and if I was manning the barricade, I would have let them all out and kept them from going back. My union would have shoved any discipline I may have been targeted for failing the "order" right up the Chiefs ass.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Or was it HECO trucks blocking escape?

Link

quote:
LAHAINA, Hawaii — Three survivors of the deadly wildfires that ravaged Maui said Wednesday that when the inferno erupted, the main escape route out of town was partly blocked by Hawaiian Electric trucks clearing downed lines and replacing busted power poles.

The result was "epic bumper-to-bumper traffic while we were trying to escape,” said resident Cole Millington, 26. “There were no police officers in sight. What there was were Hawaiian Electric trucks coming in with new telephone poles.

“Instead of waiting for everybody to get out, they were blocking the only way out with their big trucks.”

Millington and one of his roommates, Caitlin Carroll, said that when they started to flee Lahaina around 4 p.m. on Aug. 8, Hawaiian Electric workers were already clearing downed power lines and electrical wires from the Honoapiilani Highway.

“I understand that,” Millington said. “You don’t want to be driving over live wires. But they were also starting to replace the poles while we were all trying to get out. We were like, get the f--- off the road and let us get by.”

In another major human error, the lines were still hot. HECO did not shut down power, either there or in Olinda. Perfect storm of FUBAR.

Posts: 18383 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

Link

quote:
LAHAINA, Hawaii — Three survivors of the deadly wildfires that ravaged Maui said Wednesday that when the inferno erupted, the main escape route out of town was partly blocked by Hawaiian Electric trucks clearing downed lines and replacing busted power poles.

The result was "epic bumper-to-bumper traffic while we were trying to escape,” said resident Cole Millington, 26. “There were no police officers in sight. What there was were Hawaiian Electric trucks coming in with new telephone poles.

“Instead of waiting for everybody to get out, they were blocking the only way out with their big trucks.”

Millington and one of his roommates, Caitlin Carroll, said that when they started to flee Lahaina around 4 p.m. on Aug. 8, Hawaiian Electric workers were already clearing downed power lines and electrical wires from the Honoapiilani Highway.

“I understand that,” Millington said. “You don’t want to be driving over live wires. But they were also starting to replace the poles while we were all trying to get out. We were like, get the f--- off the road and let us get by.”
Gotta be more to that story . I have too many years in the business to believe that at face value .

In another major human error, the lines were still hot. HECO did not shut down power, either there or in Olinda. Perfect storm of FUBAR.

Posts: 4272 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
quote:

Link

quote:

Gotta be more to that story . I have too many years in the business to believe that at face value .

Posts: 4272 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I did see a video clip on a site that had police redirecting traffic on Front St. back towards the fire, for what reason, I have no idea. This quickly resulted in tons of people abandoning their cars and jumping into the ocean.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
What is it with these people?

1. Maui/Hawaii has extremely incompetent and corrupt government leaders and officials.

2. The Hawaiian culture is very different than the U.S. mainland. Everything is on "mañana" time. People move at their own pace in Hawaii and it's not very urgent, including govt. I have seen examples of this attitude countless times.

3. It's a good ole boys club when it comes to the infrastructure monopoly there.

4. Power struggles over land and fresh water use has been happening even before Hawaii became a state, and it still continues today.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17195 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Maui/Hawaii has extremely incompetent and corrupt government leaders and officials.
This appears to be true in a big way.
quote:
The Hawaiian culture is very different than the U.S. mainland.
This goes back to my question as to why Hawaii is a state. If they aren't like us, then they are not us.

Why? Why is Hawaii a state? Beyond strategic advantage for the United States, what is there?

I asked ChatGPT for information and it threw in a lecture, so I had to drop the pimp hand on this glorified lawnmower.

Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Maui/Hawaii has extremely incompetent and corrupt government leaders and officials.
This appears to be true in a big way.
quote:
The Hawaiian culture is very different than the U.S. mainland.
This goes back to my question as to why Hawaii is a state. If they aren't like us, then they are not us.

Why? Why is Hawaii a state? Beyond strategic advantage for the United States, what is there?

I went to elementary and middle school in Hawaii, and their public schools have extensive classes on Hawaiian history.

The answer to your question is that statehood was originally tried in the late 1800s or early 1900s when corporations wanted additional protections for their investment in the land. Those efforts stalled and then in the late 50s were picked up again as part of the Cold War. So bottom line, Hawaii is a state because it was deemed strategically advantageous during the Cold War.

I think it was shortsighted of us. Hawaii, while beautiful, is full of racist Hawaiians who absolutely hate white people. Thank God we never went through with statehood for Puerto Rico.

Posts: 2453 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hawaii...is full of racist Hawaiians who absolutely hate white people
Unless they spend their tourist $$ there.

Posts: 9297 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Hawaiians are a minority in Hawaii.

The Kamehameha Schools went to the Supreme Court and got a ruling they could discriminate on admission, offering it only to those of Hawaiian ancestry. There are so few of those that 80% of Hawaiian children don’t qualify.
They’ve had to lower the percent Hawaiian to 1/4 or maybe lower.

quote:
According to 2017 demographics estimates population of Hawaii by race are: Native Hawaiian represents 10.03% of the population as on estimated 2017 census, White Americans are 25.13%, Black Americans are 1.82%, 38% are Asian population in Hawaii and 10.23% are Hispanic/Latino.

Posts: 18383 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
...Hawaii, while beautiful, is full of racist Hawaiians who absolutely hate white people...

At the risk of derailing this conversation, I'll add that, as a white male, I felt some of that during my visits to Maui several years ago.
As long as I had my wallet out, smiles all around. Asking directions, etc, different story.

Posts: 1796 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sent my daughter a thousand dollars for her to donate as she saw fit. She has a good friend living in Napili that came over to her side of the island to spend some time. Apparently transacting business is very hard to do on Lahaina side. No ATMs, stores are just now coming back on line but using a credit card is still iffy. My daughter gave her friend a thousand in twenties to distribute to those who she knew needed the money. (Yeah, I trust her friend. She's visited our house for a week) I am told to be damn careful if you decide to donate. Plenty of scams going on now. Hopefully this get's more under control in short order but I have serious doubts about that happening.

Posts: 7687 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
At the risk of derailing this conversation, I'll add that, as a white male, I felt some of that during my visits to Maui several years ago.
As long as I had my wallet out, smiles all around. Asking directions, etc, different story.

I know this exists; but I did live on Maui for seven years, worked there for five and had all races as patients, ran into people everywhere. Of course I was a doctor so people appreciated someone who would live there and take care of them.
In rural areas there are people who are openly hostile to non-Hawaiians, especially whites.

I think it gets a lot of publicity, far more than the general attitude of the locals would warrant. In general, people of every ethnic group bend over backward to pay tribute to the traditional Hawaiian culture.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
In rural areas there are people who are openly hostile to non-Hawaiians, especially whites.
A behavior which, no doubt, can be found in many cultures around the world. Fear, ignorance, resentment and tribalism.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I think it gets a lot of publicity, far more than the general attitude of the locals would warrant. In general, people of every ethnic group bend over backward to pay tribute to the traditional Hawaiian culture.

Indeed, rural Hawaii is full of odd balls and outright hostility.
Rural Hawaii usually gets split into three camps:

- Farmers, still making a living off the land, there's not many of them but, like farmers elsewhere, they enjoy working their property and not looking to raise their profile. There's some Native farmers giving it a go, attempting to 'reconnect with the land', many farmers are either Asian or, White that get occasional harassment from the aggrieved Native groups for 'stealing land'; squatting and occasional crop theft is their biggest challenge.
- Hippies and alternative living types, this ranges from veterans & others just looking to disconnect from the world in their mountain shack to, esoteric odd balls who are simply squatters and/or in the drug trade; you see the same in rural Alaska. There's a wide variety of hippie encampments scattered throughout the jungle areas, most of these areas are heavily male, lots of sex offenders in-hidding. The women that do get attracted to these places usually find out the back-to-nature life isn't all that it's cracked-up to be and sometimes can turn into a nightmare. Reggae motifs are hugely popular, there's a handful of villages that center around these groups, the Natives tolerate them since weed is common currency, along with other harder drugs.
- Then there's the Natives, usually a mix of various Polynesian since there's very few 'pure Hawaiian'; some try to do subsistence living while living 'the old ways', most are full of shit and are just thugs with no skills. Violence is the calling card, gangland mores and attitudes are the norm, drugs are the currency. Places like Big Island and Kauai have a hard time keeping tabs on them as the areas they live are openly hostile to outsiders.

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then there's the Natives, usually a mix of various Polynesian since there's very few 'pure Hawaiian'; some try to do subsistence living while living 'the old ways', most are full of shit and are just thugs with no skills. Violence is the calling card, gangland mores and attitudes are the norm, drugs are the currency. Places like Big Island and Kauai have a hard time keeping tabs on them as the areas they live are openly hostile to outsiders.

Sounds similar to backwoods life in many areas, such as the hills of Appalachia, The Golden Triangle of NorCal or any super rural off the path places where people go to hide either from the world or the law or both...

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On Charlie Kirk they are reporting that over 1000 people are still missing. From a reporter in Maui on the ground, the local government is continuing to stonewall. A good portion of missing are apparently children.

Posts: 781 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
In order to simply answer Para's question: Alaska wanted to become a state, for many if not almost all of the reasons Hawaii did. Alaska was solidly (R), Hawaii solidly (D) and have been that way since statehood more or less. One for one per long held tradition in state admittance by Congress.

Probably one of the reasons Puerto Rico and WADC are not states is that the (R)'s aren't sure PR will vote and stay (R).

And like others, I was schooled in Hawaiian history from 5-11th grade when I lived on Oahu as a lad.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 2081 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post