Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maui on fire Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
However, on Thursday, Green criticized the committee’s plans to investigate.

“The Republicans are pissed off that the Democrats jacked Trump, and they’re going to try to take a pound of flesh. And that’s what goes on in this day and age,” he claimed.

smh....

Posts: 15083 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
8 months after the fire…

Posts: 3648 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Just as several us in the know said earlier in the thread, nothing…
It’s just as much as a travesty as it was after the fire. He said it in the video, regarding ashes, and how different people and groups speak up about you doing something, some sacred ground thing, etc, and nothing gets done. They need room at the dump, and getting anything done there was a travesty.

My friend lives in Lahaina. His home was spared. But just like this man in the video, he has rentals on the first floor, with his small home for him and his family above. Without the rentals, he couldn’t have got the loan or own the home. As he said, the real problems for locals is going to start when the insurance money runs out. Then the corporations will come in and offer $ to buy your property and most of them will have to move permanently. I don’t think it will ever be the same and it will be many years, a decade, perhaps more. It’s just a sad state of affairs. Unless someone very wealthy like Gates, Buffet, Musk, etc, comes in, with a flood of money, billions, I just don’t see how anything will ever get done. The only thing I can see is corporations coming in offering lower money than the property is worth, and building hotels or something.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12959 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Truly a sad and horrible situation.

Because Hawaii is a militant eco system of governance they won’t let the toxic stuff be taken out and dumped anywhere.

I have a friend who lives on Maui that I have visited several times. What struck me as strange was that most of the people I saw working there were white folks. I asked an owner of a store why he had mostly mainlanders working there. He told me that the local people aren’t reliable and don’t show up for work. They are always on Island time he said.

In general there was a victimization mentality for the local population = Democrat

The people and government don’t have the drive to rebuild in an expeditious time frame if ever…

It’s just sad.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3648 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
My mom is taking my family to Maui and Oahu in June. I can't wait. It'll be my 3rd time out to Hawaii and I feel so blessed to be able to make this trip again.

That being said, we're going to try and spend as much money with local people and businesses as we can.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9183 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post