New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maui on fire Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I'll keep an open mind, but earlier in the day reports indicate power HAD been out, then came back on and a video shows a hot line down with grass fire being started from sparks. I don't know the time and don't have the link.
I'm not ready to trust HECO on this.

Posts: 18383 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Video back on Page 5.

Posts: 20608 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Within video on page 5 the man being interviewed stated that it was the morning fire he was referring to, then he speculated on smoldering caused the fire in the afternoon.

Hawaiian Electric Company link provided addresses the video with these two bullet points.

• The small Morning Fire, seen in videos taken by local residents, began more than eight hours earlier. Those videos show that power lines had fallen to the ground in high winds near the intersection of Lahainaluna Road and Hookahua Street at approximately 6:30 a.m. A small fire that can be seen by the downed lines spread into the field across the street from the Intermediate School.

• The Maui County Fire Department responded promptly to the Morning Fire. According to the Department's public statement that morning, by 9 a.m. the Morning Fire was "100% contained." The Maui County fire chief subsequently reported that the Fire Department had determined that the Morning Fire was "extinguished," and the Fire Department left the scene by 2 p.m.

Both parties, Government and Electric Company have a lot to lose.
In my view, it is too early to cast blame.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5294 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:

There was no electricity flowing through the wires in the area or anywhere else on the West Maui coast.

This is a bit of a bold statement. One idiot with a generator who doesn’t disconnect from the lines before firing up and there is electricity flowing through the wires. Yeah, you can’t blame the utility for that, but there is a reason why linemen always ground both sides of a downed line before working it.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Both parties, Government and Electric Company have a lot to lose.
Ain't that the truth....

Posts: 9297 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting write-up.
For declared disaster areas, where federal aid is sent....isn't FEMA the lead government agency? They're suppose to direct assets and call-up assets from a catalog of federal/local agencies?

What’s With the Underwhelming Military Response in Maui?

quote:
What’s With the Underwhelming Military Response in Maui?

U.S. forces historically have had a commanding presence in the aftermath of natural disasters, but many are wondering, “Why not in Lahaina?”

“Skimming low over the calm blue Pacific and over acres of roofless houses and broken palm trees, military C-130 relief flights landed in a daylong stream Friday on the lush tropical island … forming the only link to the outside world for residents devastated … on Friday. Loaded with generators and communications equipment as well as military rations and bottled water, the relief flights brought the essentials of daily life to 55,000 residents and thousands of stranded tourists.”

No, this is not the beginning of a story about Lahaina. It’s the opening paragraph of a story in The New York Times from Sept. 13, 1992, after Hurricane ‘Iniki battered Kaua‘i.

31 years ago, viewers glued to screens across the world saw a reassuring sight along with the coverage of distraught victims and destroyed neighborhoods: our men and women from the U.S. military, arriving in an endless array of planes, helicopters and ships, hitting the ground to conduct search and rescue, unload equipment and supplies, provide first aid, erect shelters and hand out meals, water and clothing.

That wasn’t what we saw after Lahaina’s Pompeii-like destruction Aug. 8 and 9. Instead, the nonstop compelling images were of West Maui locals making it happen, creating a supply chain of trucks and cars. When those were blocked from entering West Maui by the authorities, they improvised a miniature Dunkirk of inflatables, fishing boats and personal watercraft to ferry donated water, food, medical supplies and more.

In this era of social media proliferation, a preponderance of coverage from Lahaina and West Maui came from citizen commentators, who called out the state and especially federal response. One of the louder questions was raised by a couple of dazed survivors wandering a deserted Front Street the day after the fire: “Where are the uniforms? Where is the military?”

It was a reasonable question. There are 12 military bases in the Hawaiian Islands, including a Coast Guard station on Maui. Wheels up to wheels down, Maui’s airport is a 23-minute flight away from Honolulu. Yet, there was no media—and no social media posts—showing a large military reaction. Were they not on Maui at all?

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Great post, corsair. Completely in accord with what I’ve seen on the ‘net.

Posts: 18383 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 109165 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
As a solid blue state with a solid blue news media, I believe Biden and his Democrat associates take it for granted that this incident will blow over into obscurity. The loved ones that died will be forgotten (in their view) and the property losses provide an opportunity to wealthy investors that didn't live in the area. Who needs to worry about accountability, when you can blame the "Climate Change Crisis" while obscuring local politicians' policies and actions/inaction?

There's a huge difference between those who lived in, worked in, and patronized Lahina and those who live in and visit Wailea. Biden knows it and so do his supporters. That's why they don't care.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10268 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Has Onumb-nutz DARED to show his face over there yet?? I mean...him being all Hawaiian and all. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Great post, corsair. Completely in accord with what I’ve seen on the ‘net.

The lack of response, both from the military and from government in general is really something. And the press is mostly ignoring it.

Imagine if you will: President Bush and Hurricane Katrina...
How did the press cover that?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24641 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
As a solid blue state ...
Not just solid blue, but, solid Biden.

In the 2020 Democrat Primary Hawaii went solidly for Biden, even over their home girl, Tulsi Gabbard, by a ratio of about 10-to-1 (by round 8 [Hawaii uses RCV]).

I'm certainly not so crass as to suggest "They got what they asked for." Nobody asks for devastating fires. Nobody asks to be short-shrifted by their President. But, I do have to wonder if some of Hawaii's voters aren't wondering about the wisdom of the decisions they made back then.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Imagine if you will: President Bush and Hurricane Katrina...
How did the press cover that?

Exactly! The media totally pulls for the left.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39287 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.breitbart.com/poli...-kids-still-missing/

Maui search crews have allegedly found over 450 bodies, according to a local resident who is leading a grassroots relief effort to aid victims of the fire that decimated the town of Lahaina earlier this month.

“They’re not giving the number until they toe-tag them and identify them, which is understandable,” he said. “It’s guaranteed in the four hundreds. More than likely you’re going to get to 850 or 900 — with 40 percent being kids,” he said.

He said he did not want to discuss the children too much, out of respect for parents holding out hope.

“But a lot of people didn’t do that. A lot of kids were home because the school got called out because there was no electricity. And when there’s no electricity, they can’t feed the kids lunch and breakfast. So they keep them home, which makes sense. But they got called out and parents went to work and the kids were at home by themselves,” he said.

“Whole families are lost — huddled in cars hugging each other. This is firsthand. Like a husband and wife hugging each other on Front Street in the car

Breitbart News reached out to Maui Police Department to confirm the number of bodies found, but did not immediately receive a response.

So far, Maui authorities have only announced 115 dead, with 100 percent of the area searched.

“The 388 names are a subset of a larger list,” Steven Merrill, a special agent from the FBI’s Honolulu field office, said at a press conference. “I don’t want to lose sight of the fact that we still have hundreds of other names where we still need more information.”

Maui Police Chief John Pelletier said that some of the dead may never be found or identified.

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Jesus

I don't expect it, but there are officials who need to be imprisoned for lengthy terms, although this will not rise to the level of proper justice for their crimes.

I guess the Goddamned news media are covering for these criminals and for the indifference and inaction of our Federal government and most especially, the Biden administration.

Filth and crooks, every last one of them.

Posts: 109165 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
A lot of kids were home because the school got called out because there was no electricity. And when there’s no electricity, they can’t feed the kids lunch and breakfast. So they keep them home, which makes sense. But they got called out and parents went to work and the kids were at home by themselves,” he said.

I read that the high school kids were sent home that morning because of power outages, but the elementary and intermediate schools were returning from summer vacation and starting session the day after. Over 3000 kids in the school district, were at home, most with both parents working. In the weeks following, approx. half of them were re-enrolled in other schools including long distance online, and joined private schools. The other half...Frown

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17195 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
“Whole families are lost — huddled in cars hugging each other. This is firsthand. Like a husband and wife hugging each other on Front Street in the car.
Oh dear Lord!! Frown Frown I can't even imagine! NO ONE CAN! I just PRAY they succumbed to smoke inhalation and were gone before the flames got them. Man oh man oh man..... Frown Frown

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being a simpleton, I wonder what will it take to wake people up?!

Posts: 5775 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
20 minute inter-island flight? Perhaps not possible but could choppers have been used to help save at least some kids or people? These are large numbers. The article was very sad to read.

God help the gov if it’s discovered that one of their children was saved because of privilege whereas nobody else was allowed. How horrible to not be permitted to even try to save your child.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13115 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
As a solid blue state with a solid blue news media, I believe Biden and his Democrat associates take it for granted that this incident will blow over into obscurity.

I agree 100%

Posts: 2453 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post