Find
Notify
Tools

Maui on fire Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
It really is remarkable the lid they are keeping on this. Almost nothing in the media (even conservative media) about it. Hundreds of children dead and ... crickets.

Posts: 20600 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Whole families left as charred remains. It's just horrific at a scale we can't even appreciate because the media and government are silent.

Many people also waded out into the surf to escape the inferno. With nowhere else to go, some of those people succumbed to smoke inhalation and drowned. How many bodies were lost out to sea?

For chrissakes, the media should be all over this nonstop.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30952 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
20 minute inter-island flight? Perhaps not possible but could choppers have been used to help save at least some kids or people? These are large numbers. The article was very sad to read.

God help the gov if it’s discovered that one of their children was saved because of privilege whereas nobody else was allowed. How horrible to not be permitted to even try to save your child.

There are a bunch of choppers for tourists rides. The helo port is right next to OGG. Problem is they only hold several passengers. I think they seat 5 + the pilot. Molokai is close but that island does not have even a fraction of the infrastructure of Maui which doesn’t have a fraction of what Oahu has. The military should have kicked in from Oahu, hard.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12961 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
It really is remarkable the lid they are keeping on this. Almost nothing in the media (even conservative media) about it. Hundreds of children dead and ... crickets.

It doesn’t surprise my people on the island. Talking to them, for many years, and staying in local areas every time I go, well like I said much earlier in this thread, it’s 3rd world country there outside of the tourist areas and Oprah type neighborhoods. Internet goes out on the reg. Cell reception can be really spotty. 5.6 billion annual in tourist $ and it mostly leaves the island and goes into corporate coffers.

What’s more alarming is the annual hurricane season will get 1000X more coverage, hell 1 mil times more. Most of these people affected in Lahaina are blue collar or at or just above poverty given how expensive the island is to live there. Every person I know there works several jobs, + some kind of side hustle.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12961 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
The military should have kicked in from Oahu, hard.

Yea, sorry, I don't know the practical aspects but this is what I was envisioning - choppers that could carry 20 people at at time (or whatever these transport choppers can accommodate, especially children).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13112 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
20 minute inter-island flight? Perhaps not possible but could choppers have been used to help save at least some kids or people?...

With the high winds that were pushing the fire, don't think choppers could fly in those conditions.
Not sure, though.

Posts: 1796 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Leftists see no sacrifice too great for "the party".

The media will cover for their potato god no matter what.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34419 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Hawaii Governor expects number of people unaccounted for will be less than 50

https://www.staradvertiser.com...-will-drop-below-50/

Gov. Josh Green hopes that the number of people unaccounted for from the Lahaina fire— currently 388 — will fall below 50 names when a new list comes out on Friday.

So far the number of people who died in the country’s deadliest wildfire in over a century has plateaued this week at 115.

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
For chrissakes, the media should be all over this nonstop.

A partisan, activist media is the biggest problem we face. With all wrong in our country and the world, an honest media would change things immediately.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8560 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks governor!

Posts: 5775 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The local chatter, rumor mill is that entire families were whipped-out. Immediate families are missing and extended families located on other islands or, back on the mainland are wondering why they haven't responded and asking if they've shown up at shelters or, elsewhere. It's sad and infuriating all all at the same time.

Look some aerial footage that runs along Front St and other streets taken right after the fire, if you look at the cars, how they a jumbled together or being funneled, clearly they were prevented from advancing, either burning debris blocked them in or, an accident or, a car was abandon which resulted in a blockage for others. How many of those vehicles have remains still in them? One guy who was a veteran was quoted as saying it was a similar look to seeing pics of the Iraq War and what remained of the road between Iraq & Kuwait, The Highway of Death.

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
HI Governor Josh Green says that the House Oversight Committee investigation into the feds response to the Maui fires is a hit job on Biden because "Republicans are pissed off that the Democrats jacked Trump". This commie also stated that he and his govt. "did a very good job" in regards to their local response. Mad

https://www.breitbart.com/clip...did-a-very-good-job/

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17192 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
This commie also stated that he and his govt. "did a very good job" in regards to their local response.

Hello 'Katrina', oh no we haven't forgotten...yeah we remember you!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9440 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
In response to oddball's post:

Dear Governor Josh Green,

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
The military should have kicked in from Oahu, hard.

Yea, sorry, I don't know the practical aspects but this is what I was envisioning - choppers that could carry 20 people at at time (or whatever these transport choppers can accommodate, especially children).
It would have needed the military. Helicopters are dangerous on the ground (too many whirling bits to walk into) and are perhaps even more subject to weight and balance limitations than fixed wing craft. Without a strong presence on the ground to control panicked passengers, helicopters could do more harm than good.

Understanding that, the next question is who do you haul in, then drop off to keep order among the pax? That sounds a bit like a suicide mission, but there’d be volunteers to save kids.

After considering all that, it’s likely too late already as fire moves wicked fast, especially with a bit of push from even a light wind.

Posts: 7096 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Proudly wearing my new shirt today, hope it helps.

Sorry, but the image isn't posting...

https://store.spam.com/spamr-b...aui-fire-relief-fund

Posts: 3404 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
Proudly wearing my new shirt today, hope it helps.

Sorry, but the image isn't posting...

https://store.spam.com/spamr-b...aui-fire-relief-fund

Thanks for the link. Just ordered one

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6302 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34419 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pitch-forks and torches....if they really mean it.

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
The Maui Police Department said 245 people on the missing persons list validated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation were found and located. However, a nearly equal number of new names were added, bringing the total down from 388 to 385 missing, a net change of just three.

The updated total was a startling departure from what had been expected — a day earlier Gov. Josh Green said he believed the number would fall below 100.

https://www.breitbart.com/loca...mber-drop-below-100/

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post