SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Irma - everyone has gone nuts
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 32
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Irma - everyone has gone nuts Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Good God man, is there no other news going on anywhere in the fargin world worthy of reporting?

Again: The business of reporting news is not their goal. Their goal is to provide entertainment, thereby hooking viewers, thereby improving advert revenue.

We used to watch "CBS Nightly News," until CBS fired Sharyl Attkisson for actually *gasp* reporting the news! Switched to NBC. Then NBC got caught with its hands in the cookie jar, vis-a-vis the 2016 election. Switched to ABC. They lead off every "news"cast with ominous-sounding theme music. "BREAKING NEWS" are among the first words out of the anchor's mouth, regardless of whether there's anything actually new or not, every evening.

To anybody with two functioning neurons to rub together they're a laugh-a-minute. Particularly since they take themselves so seriously.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:...
Again: The business of reporting news is not their goal. Their goal is to provide entertainment, thereby hooking viewers, thereby improving advert revenue.

We used to watch "CBS Nightly News," until CBS fired Sharyl Attkisson for actually *gasp* reporting the news! Switched to NBC. Then NBC got caught with its hands in the cookie jar, vis-a-vis the 2016 election. Switched to ABC. They lead off every "news"cast with ominous-sounding theme music. "BREAKING NEWS" are among the first words out of the anchor's mouth, regardless of whether there's anything actually new or not, every evening.

To anybody with two functioning neurons to rub together they're a laugh-a-minute. Particularly since they take themselves so seriously.

I think that's a fairly accurate summary of today's news media.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
They lead off every "news"cast with ominous-sounding theme music. "BREAKING NEWS" are among the first words out of the anchor's mouth, regardless of whether there's anything actually new or not, every evening.

It's almost as bad as FNC. Every time they come back from a commercial or change topics in discussion it's "THIS IS A FOX NEWS ALERT!".

Just STFU and report the news please.

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Looks like they've moved the projections even further west. Now looks like they're projecting landfall to be somewhere in the vicinity of the northern end of the Everglades.

Could be a good thing, no? Lightly-populated area? Chance for Irma to lose a bit of steam before hitting the most densely-populated areas, maybe?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I am so glad I do not listen to any of that garbage any more. It is bad enough listening to you guys Cool

Now, can you guys just report the status as necessary, when necessary, plz. Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Looks like they've moved the projections even further west. Now looks like they're projecting landfall to be somewhere in the vicinity of the northern end of the Everglades.

Could be a good thing, no? Lightly-populated area? Chance for Irma to lose a bit of steam before hitting the most densely-populated areas, maybe?

I don't know. Most of it is hot water, hopefully it doesn't feed the storm.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9692 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sadly no. Warm swamp water. The killer here is the surge. Wall of water pushed onshore. Those east of the eye will get the brunt of storm, the Northeast Quadrant. More tornadoes, the wind speed plus the movement of the storm.

Those fortunate enough to be west of the storm will fare much better, both with the wind and the water.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Now, can you guys just report the status as necessary, when necessary, plz. Wink

Is it ok if we lead with "BREAKING NEWS!!!"?

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
My mother-in-law is 80 and ... taking all of this in stride.
Many 80 year old people have been around long enough to acquire a bit of common sense.

By the way, I'm 80, too.

You say that she is somewhat infirmed. Once this blows through, let us know if she needs anything. There are several of us here in the Orlando area, so help is available if needed.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Thank you, V-Tail. I do appreciate it.

Posts: 107596 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
My mother-in-law lives in Orlando. She lost her husband in January. My sister-in-law moved from Dallas to Jacksonville just last month and is with her now. This is a great comfort to my wife. My mother-in-law is 80 and somewhat infirmed but is taking all of this in stride. She's lived in Florida her entire life.

My niece just moved to Orlando, as she works for The mouse she is staying at one of the resorts in the park which I thought was a pretty solid plan.
If your SIL needs anything after the storm let me know and I'll do what I can.

Likewise. Short of my house being completely destroyed, i'll be sticking around before and after. If I can be of any assistance, please let me know.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9692 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
But no, it has to be 24/7 coverage of HURRICANAGEDDON!!!

IRMAGEDDON! This time it's personal!

People in Eufaula, Alabama are getting ready. Don't ask me how to pronounce Eufaula, those that know how would bless my heart if I tried.

Posts: 10943 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
But no, it has to be 24/7 coverage of HURRICANAGEDDON!!!

IRMAGEDDON! This time it's personal!

People in Eufaula, Alabama are getting ready. Don't ask me how to pronounce Eufaula, those that know how would bless my heart if I tried.

I'm from the Florida Panhandle and we get lots of visitors from south Alabama. Some of my family is also from nearby.

Anyway, it's pronounced Yoo-Fawl-A

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 986 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
via Imgflip Meme Generator

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

NOAA 2pm EDT update shows same general track but with arrival times about 6 hours later than their forecast this morning

Posts: 19576 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
sdy:

Could you find a map showing the hurricane taking a sharp left curve and running out of gas in the Gulf? Smile

(I have family in central Florida).

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
We topped off our normal emergency supplies on Tuesday as well as got gas for the generator. Rebuilt the carb on the generator yesterday, so its good to go. I didn't want to buy plywood earlier, in keeping with my policy of never buy anything I wouldn't normally buy. Woke up at 5 this morning and saw the revised track heading my way, so off to the lumberyard I went. Ten sheets of plywood, a stack of 2x4's, and a bunch of tapcons later, I should be set. Cut most of the wood before a good storm blew in, but should have plenty of time tomorrow to finish the task. Once this is done, I'll be bored.

None of my neighbors seem to be doing anything.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrDan:
None of my neighbors seem to be doing anything.
Well, Judge Judy is on, dammit.

Posts: 107596 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Good luck to any of you in the zone.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
sdy:

Could you find a map showing the hurricane taking a sharp left curve and running out of gas in the Gulf? Smile

(I have family in central Florida).
Stay tuned, nothing's guaranteed yet. Over the next 24 hours the path of this storm could still move quite a bit. As mentioned earlier in this thread, hurricane Charlie's track changed by ~100 miles right before it came ashore.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post