SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Irma - everyone has gone nuts
Page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 32
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Irma - everyone has gone nuts Login/Join 
Watching for
Falling Rocks
Picture of erratic
posted Hide Post
Wonderful... the spaghetti tracks now have it going right over the mountain. Thankfully it'll be a Cat 1 by then.

Posts: 858 | Location: North Florida Mountains | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
Want the opinion of the SF brain trust. Looks more and more like Naples is going to get a direct hit. Will wait and see the 8PM and 11PM models, but am considering a drive across to Palm Beach Gardens. My parents have a house there that is outside the storm surge zone. It will still be a hurricane but maybe not a Cat 4/5 intensity there and life may return to normal there sooner than over here. Traffic looks light and gas seems to be available along the way. Could make a midnight run and beat the first big winds with plenty of time. I have a full tank and can make it there on a little more than half a tank in normal traffic. I do have a safe place to be here, but thinking it might be an easier ride over there if the current forecasts persist. Plus I can stay there for weeks or months if needed.

Smart plan or just stay put?

The eastern eyeball will be the most violent part of the storm, so you won't be dodging any of the wind really. I would think about which house you feel more confident in. If it looks to Pass west of you, I would go. If it looks to go in east of you it may be worse in PBG.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
The big worry is if you see Jim Cantore from the Weather Channel walking around town, that is never a good sign.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Is it a requirement that for every hurricane, some reporter absolutely MUST step into a wind tunnel to show us what high winds are like???

It is. And when they get knocked in the head with wind blown debris, it is hilarious. Didn't see that coming you did you, you professional twit?

Posts: 10943 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nighthawk:
The big worry is if you see Jim Cantore from the Weather Channel walking around town, that is never a good sign.

You know that means....

...THUNDERSNOW!

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9159 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hurricane Irene 2011:
quote:
Local Reporter Covering Hurricane Gets Slathered In ‘Sea Foam’ (Likely Raw Sewage?)

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/lo...’-likely-raw-sewage/

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Latest local news reporting that folks are getting extremely frustrated because they've scared them out of their homes with these threats of "Mandatory Evacuations" and now they have folks scurrying around on the roads trying to get into these shelters and are being turned away because their at capacity. One poor fella with his German Sheppard was being turned away after he said the news scared him out of his home and called the 311 info number and was told he could take his dog to this particular shelter. After he arrived they turned him away and is left to scramble to find shelter for him and his dog. Even one of the Channel 7 news reporter at one of these shelters said that folks waiting in line to try and get into a designated shelter are getting extremely frustrated and that she mentioned that many frustrated folks are saying that the news should rethink about the way they've handled things! Well DUH, now many folks are now stuck on the roads heading north to find available shelter for them, their pets, and families. Mad It's what can be labeled as "News Terrorism", shame on the folks for the constant threats for everybody in these areas to evacuate. Is this a future trend for folks to run and abandon their homes now when a strong storm threatens? Yes, there are some folks that do possibly need to evacuate a storm if needed, but thats common sense and folks should be left to make that determination on their own without being scared into it by these constant evacuation threats! In all my years here in Miami I've never heard of such a thing and I've been thru many hurricanes of all varieties since the early 1950's.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I agree just1tym. If anyone has tuned in to local channel 7 WSVN (Fox), the wording and terminology they go out of their way to use should be tantamount to yelling fire in a crowded theater. Things like so and so areas have a 90 to 100 chance of Tropical Storm force winds! Uh, we get those kinds of winds and rain from a bad thunderstorm from time to time and most people need not fear them. Or when they say "The storm is bigger than the entire state!" Of course those hit by the eye and areas close to it will take the brunt of it but causing evacuation histeria all over the state it getting dangerously out of control. Words matter, and people are going to hold them accountable afterwards. There has been no balance of caution and seriousness with rationality and reason.

My parents live 2 miles north of my home as well as my brother's home and while we offered to have them stay here with us at one of our homes after shutting their home, my mom got real nervous to the point that she and my dad followed two of my cousins and my aunt to a hotel in Orlando. It took them over 10 hours to get to Orlando from Southwest Broward county! Hotel is secure with impact glass, interior hallways, (they are on second floor) and has a generator, but they are little better off than being here with a secure home and supplies and us to help them.

We've been through many storms over the years (born and raised in South Florida), but none has been over sensationalized more than this storm and it makes me angry that it could end up hurting more people than it has helped.

Evacuate if you are in an actual evacuation zone or your home is a mobile home or home is old, not in good shape, or unable to be protected / secured, but otherwise just prepare, shutter, supply and hunker down. I would much rather ride out even a serious storm in a well built, secured home rather than somewhere I am not familiar with, whether shelter, hotel, or even ending up getting stuck in a vehicle somewhere. At least that is what I believe. I do understand that everyone has to make their own choices though based on how they feel and their experiences.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Latest local news reporting that folks are getting extremely frustrated because they've scared them out of their homes with these threats of "Mandatory Evacuations" and now they have folks scurrying around on the roads trying to get into these shelters and are being turned away because their at capacity. One poor fella with his German Sheppard was being turned away after he said the news scared him out of his home and called the 311 info number and was told he could take his dog to this particular shelter. After he arrived they turned him away and is left to scramble to find shelter for him and his dog. Even one of the Channel 7 news reporter at one of these shelters said that folks waiting in line to try and get into a designated shelter are getting extremely frustrated and that she mentioned that many frustrated folks are saying that the news should rethink about the way they've handled things! Well DUH, now many folks are now stuck on the roads heading north to find available shelter for them, their pets, and families. It's what can be labeled as "News Terrorism", shame on the folks for the constant threats for everybody in these areas to evacuate. Is this a future trend for folks to run and abandon their homes now when a strong storm threatens? Yes, there are some folks that do possibly need to evacuate a storm if needed, but thats common sense and folks should be left to make that determination on their own without being scared into it by these constant evacuation threats! In all my years here in Miami I've never heard of such a thing and I've been thru many hurricanes of all varieties since the early 1950's.

Yeah I agree. I monitor the NHC site, look at what Evacuation Zone I am in and act accordingly. It is irresponsible. All the information you need is available from the NHC site, and it has links to local advisories.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43884 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What if it is a MIAMI Dolphin??

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
What if it is a MIAMI Dolphin??

Then you hope they had their pads and helmet on. Wink

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Big Grin

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I am evaluating the storm track to decide if We are going to evacuate or not.

As the storm shifts west my options of staying in Jax or going further west to friends becomes more realistic options. It would be nice if this storm would be straight forward so I could decide what I should do but it seems to be going out of its way to piss me off and make it difficult.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
Want the opinion of the SF brain trust. Looks more and more like Naples is going to get a direct hit. Will wait and see the 8PM and 11PM models, but am considering a drive across to Palm Beach Gardens. My parents have a house there that is outside the storm surge zone. It will still be a hurricane but maybe not a Cat 4/5 intensity there and life may return to normal there sooner than over here. Traffic looks light and gas seems to be available along the way. Could make a midnight run and beat the first big winds with plenty of time. I have a full tank and can make it there on a little more than half a tank in normal traffic. I do have a safe place to be here, but thinking it might be an easier ride over there if the current forecasts persist. Plus I can stay there for weeks or months if needed.

Smart plan or just stay put?

The best time to evacuate, honestly, is right before tropical storm force winds start kicking up. The roads are empty and you got a straight shot right on over. 30-70 mph winds on the highway are not THAT bad. Totally driveable. I would not be in a hurry to go over there if I was you. If you do decide to go, then go.

I drove through 100+mph winds in Charley (had no choice) and my truck handled it just fine. My choice was to sleep in the prison after my shift and potentially get stuck there, or go home and sleep. I chose to drive home. And it worked out fine.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
I am evaluating the storm track to decide if We are going to evacuate or not.

As the storm shifts west my options of staying in Jax or going further west to friends becomes more realistic options. It would be nice if this storm would be straight forward so I could decide what I should do but it seems to be going out of its way to piss me off and make it difficult.

Jax should be ok. The bite will be gone by then.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I drove 15 hours to escape Hurricane Ivan in 2004. It was forecast to hit MS/AL coast. It clobbered Pensacola and Gulf Shores to our East. There was NO damage to my house, not even a power outage. Driving back I saw cars with Florida and Alabama plates. Worried looks on their faces wondering what they were going to face. I did not regret the trip.

Katrina was the next year. Bullseye on Mississippi Gulf Coast.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
NOAA estimate of storm surge

This is from:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refres...html?wsurge#contents

at above link, you can zoom in for more detail

A storm surge warning indicates there is a danger of life-threatening inundation from rising water moving inland from the shoreline somewhere within the specified area, generally within 36 hours.

A storm surge watch indicates that life-threatening inundation is possible somewhere within the specified area, generally within 48 hours.

Posts: 19576 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Count on the monkey to add some levity. That was funny.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Make sure if you take your pet to a designated shelter to have enough food for the pet for at least three days Big Grin

Regards, Will G.