SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Irma - everyone has gone nuts
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 32
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Irma - everyone has gone nuts Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I turn it off, can I just turn it back on after the storm. The gas company website makes it sound like I need to have the system and the lines checked by a professional prior to re-opening the main shutoff. Is that for real or is that CYA stuff?

I presume CYA. I would check with someone who services these things. It would seem to depend upon what kind of conditions you face. I believe there are a few tricks to check for leaks. I would presume it is similar to checking a gas furnace.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What would happen to all the pilots on the appliances if you shut off
the main line? They are probably worried about that.

quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Question re liquid propane tank....I have a 1000 gallon LP tank buried in my yard that supplies the hot water heater, stove, grill, etc. It also supplies my 20kw standby generator. Should I shut off the main gas valve before the storm? It makes sense but then I lose my generator (AC, refrigerator, lights, etc).

Not an expert, but I would just prior to the weather getting really sketchy, and when I have everything charged up.

Best case scenario you can turn back on after worst passes and be up and running. If it won't work then, having it leaking after damage wasn't going to help. Worst case scenario you don't, and line get cut/damaged and things go boom?

Of course, if that possibility is remote I'd leave it on to want Cantore in his batters helmet while drinking cold beer!

I agree. Having a leak occur when/if the shit hits the fan is combining bad with worse. Imagine having to go out there and turn it off with debris flying about or worse. Assume you might be out for a few hour period to 24hrs, plan and act accordingly, and turn it off as close to the last minute as you're comfortable doing, since turning it back on is easy... no real risk of being wrong/too careful. False alarm, turn it back on.

If I turn it off, can I just turn it back on after the storm. The gas company website makes it sound like I need to have the system and the lines checked by a professional prior to re-opening the main shutoff. Is that for real or is that CYA stuff?

Posts: 635 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homie:

Modern gas appliances all have electronic ignition. With the replacement of our 15-year-old (at the time) water heater, last year, we no longer have a single pilot light in the house.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is that for real or is that CYA stuff?

Are you a smoker?

If so, don't light up until you have it checked.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Hurricane Irma: Deal orders mandatory evacuation of coastal Georgia

http://www.ajc.com/news/state-...Jpean3NzWwAjNMYDR5H/

Gov. Nathan Deal issued a mandatory evacuation order Thursday for all areas east of I-95 and other parts of the state’s coast as Hurricane Irma barrels toward Florida and Georgia with potentially catastrophic force.

The governor’s executive order also authorized up to 5,000 Georgia National Guard members to be on active duty to respond to the deadly storm. And he expanded a state of emergency to 30 southeast Georgia counties.

Deal has set a 10 a.m. press conference on Friday with the head of Georgia’s emergency management agency and other public safety officials to outline the state’s storm response.

“I encourage all Georgians in our coastal areas that could be impacted by this storm to evacuate the area as soon as possible,” said Deal.

The mandatory evacuation order includes all of Chatham County and some areas west of I-95 that also could be impacted by Irma’s storm surge. The governor’s office said the evacuation order takes effect on Saturday.

Posts: 19576 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
The 5PM update from the NHC showed a slight move westward, based on the European model. Crap....I was hoping it would keep shifting to the east. Both coasts of Florida could be in for a walloping.

2PM:

5PM:

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Got off work a few hours ago. Headed to NC now. Son is getting sent to Florida so I'm grabbing his wife and kid.

I think the first thing they're going to do after all this is get their driver's licenses and a car.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It's a beautiful sunny day here at Florence Marina State Park, GA. Lots of traffic on I-75 north of Tampa at 5:00am so we got off at exit 301 and took 98 to 19 to GA. I can't imagine what I-75 looks like now. My wife's friend is coming up from Cape Coral. She's taking I-75 to 275 through St Pete. Then a tollway to 19.

Stay safe folks.

Posts: 10945 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I would hope that Florida turned off the Tolls so everyone could just get out.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delmag Tech
posted Hide Post
^^^ they did shut down the tolls in FL as of Tuesday afternoon.

Posts: 743 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
I would hope that Florida turned off the Tolls so everyone could just get out.

The Governor did just that on Tuesday.

Posts: 10945 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Got off work a few hours ago. Headed to NC now. Son is getting sent to Florida so I'm grabbing his wife and kid.

I think the first thing they're going to do after all this is get their driver's licenses and a car.
His wife doesn't have a D/L?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homie:

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Question re liquid propane tank....I have a 1000 gallon LP tank buried in my yard that supplies the hot water heater, stove, grill, etc. It also supplies my 20kw standby generator. Should I shut off the main gas valve before the storm? It makes sense but then I lose my generator (AC, refrigerator, lights, etc).

Not an expert, but I would just prior to the weather getting really sketchy, and when I have everything charged up.

Best case scenario you can turn back on after worst passes and be up and running. If it won't work then, having it leaking after damage wasn't going to help. Worst case scenario you don't, and line get cut/damaged and things go boom?

Of course, if that possibility is remote I'd leave it on to want Cantore in his batters helmet while drinking cold beer!

I agree. Having a leak occur when/if the shit hits the fan is combining bad with worse. Imagine having to go out there and turn it off with debris flying about or worse. Assume you might be out for a few hour period to 24hrs, plan and act accordingly, and turn it off as close to the last minute as you're comfortable doing, since turning it back on is easy... no real risk of being wrong/too careful. False alarm, turn it back on.

FWIW, we had a bad flood in 1998. The gas company in a nearby town (at the time, I think it was Southern Union) shut gas off, themselves. So, it might be that is SOP.

That said, they found out after flooding subsided that water had infiltrated their lines. Probably there were some rusty steel lines or a ever-so-slightly loose connection someplace that allowed water in. Subsequently, all the steel lines were replaced and all the lines were purged. It was quite a while before that was sorted.

Posts: 5756 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
Track shifted a bit more west. Our shelter has been activated, and I report tomorrow morning at 4 AM for a 6 AM opening.

They have issued a mandatory evac for all mobile homes and areas closest to the water, so we will start filling up early.

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 5PM update from the NHC showed a slight move westward, based on the European model. Crap....I was hoping it would keep shifting to the east. Both coasts of Florida could be in for a walloping.

2PM:

5PM:

It will probably wobble a bit once they get the track down. It will swing a like a pendulum.
Remember, that 5 day forecast is still a bit sketchy. The 3 day is the only one that they really have a lot of confidence in.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:His wife doesn't have a D/L?

They have no car and no licenses. She's almost 21 and he's 26. They both got their temporary licenses when they got to Fort Bragg. They're planning on getting around to it eventually.

Once this is all over, I'm going to make sure they get them and a car.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It will probably wobble a bit once they get the track down. It will swing a like a pendulum.
Remember, that 5 day forecast is still a bit sketchy. The 3 day is the only one that they really have a lot of confidence in.

That is correct. There is even variation in the three day track, and after that some eye wobbles and such. It is actually fairly recent that the NHC has published the five day track. I would NOT focus on the exact track.

Katrina hit the Mississippi Gulf Coast on a Monday morning. The forecast on the prior Friday was for a direct hit on the Florida Panhandle. NHC changed the track late that Friday to our area. There is still room for error.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
What sites are you guys using to monitor?

Looking for one without all the hysteria and end of days hype.

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
I am supposed to report to lake city tomorrow at noonish.

Should I take 32' rv with me or leave it home? If I take it, is there anyone in Lake city that can let me park it if they tell me to lose it? Have park space Friday to monday planned. Need good Intel from those I the know please.

No clue where I will be after it hits. Helping FPL get back up...

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Looking for one without all the hysteria and end of days hype.

quote:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

The only official site. Just the facts. Weatherunderground has more information, but no hysteria.

Here is that link;

https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane